RAV4 EV 2014 update?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehelmholtz

While this seems unlikely given that the car is a compliance build with only 2600 cars planned but this is a comment on the Active E page that is interesting:

Raz Schiønning writes:
"As we bask in the i3 glory, this may not be the right time, but... I fella stopped me this weekend to ask about the AE. After a few questions I realized he knew more than the average Joe. He told me he works at Toyota (the Lexus cap should have tipped me off). I mentioned that I thought the Rav4EV was terrific and I wished Toyota would show EVs a little more love. He tells me "I can't say much, but standby... we're doing an updated version of the Rav4EV for next year and it's even better." I ask: "Still in partnership with Tesla?" He replies "Yes. I've seen it and it's awesome." I wonder... maybe the 4WD drivetrain for the Model X will be co-developed with Toyota and shared with the Rav4? Just a thought. The most important take-away from this brief conversation was that Toyota might be thinking beyond the compliance car."

ehelmholtz said:
While this seems unlikely given that the car is a compliance build with only 2600 cars planned but this is a comment on the Active E page that is interesting:

Raz Schiønning writes:
"As we bask in the i3 glory, this may not be the right time, but... I fella stopped me this weekend to ask about the AE. After a few questions I realized he knew more than the average Joe. He told me he works at Toyota (the Lexus cap should have tipped me off). I mentioned that I thought the Rav4EV was terrific and I wished Toyota would show EVs a little more love. He tells me "I can't say much, but standby... we're doing an updated version of the Rav4EV for next year and it's even better." I ask: "Still in partnership with Tesla?" He replies "Yes. I've seen it and it's awesome." I wonder... maybe the 4WD drivetrain for the Model X will be co-developed with Toyota and shared with the Rav4? Just a thought. The most important take-away from this brief conversation was that Toyota might be thinking beyond the compliance car."

Interesting. If it just 4WD, I won't be jealous. If it is fast charging and/or bigger battery, I might be very jealous.

Yes fast charging and/or greater range would be very attractive.

That would be good news for EV drivers, but there are other threads on this forum that suggest Toyota is committed to Hydrogen and that the RAV4EV is a lame duck. I hope not.

If Toyota was actually serious about EVs, it would make sense to update the RAV4 EV to the current ICE body and make improvements to make the car more desirable and sellable for more than 3 years. That would make it easier to hit the 2012-2015 quota without such deep discounts. Tesla has proven that a desirable EV will sell. However, I don't think the bean counters at Toyota will find that it's a good return on investment. I think they will conclude it will be more profitable to just keep "putting money on the hood" to move the contracted quantity of vehicles as designed.

We have been here before with Toyota. There was a strong rumor from a dealer there was going to be an updated 2004 and really nice then the bottom fell out CARB caved and ..>>... here we are today decade later and the same rumor.

Brandy said:
We have been here before with Toyota. There was a strong rumor from a dealer there was going to be an updated 2004 and really nice then the bottom fell out CARB caved and ..>>... here we are today decade later and the same rumor.

It's an easy rumor to spread. We like the car, and support the cutting edge technology and paradigm shift from fossil fuels. So, people WANT to believe the cars will continue, get better, cheaper, more widespread, etc.

Toyota, like any large company, is not going to do anything with cars that sell at 44 per month!!! Or even 440 per month!

They only built the Rav4 (over any other Toyota car) to be used to meet CARB-ZEV because:

1) Legacy with previous Rav4 EV
2) Big enough to fit batteries and Tesla Model S drive train without extensive modifications to the car

TonyWilliams said:
Brandy said:

It's an easy rumor to spread. We like the car, and support the cutting edge technology and paradigm shift from fossil fuels. So, people WANT to believe the cars will continue, get better, cheaper, more widespread, etc.

Toyota, like any large company, is not going to do anything with cars that sell at 44 per month!!! Or even 440 per month!
Agree 100%. I just don't understand how they think more people will buy a hydrogen car than the RAV4 EV. If they would just bump up the battery to 50kWh or 60kWh and put CHAdeMO or SuperCharger on it, it could sell 1,000/month.

miimura said:
If they would just bump up the battery to 50kWh or 60kWh and put CHAdeMO or SuperCharger on it, it could sell 1,000/month.

I would suggest a 2018 (after the Hydrogen car!) Rav4 EV to have and sell for $39,900, with options at $45-$50k-ish, $55k-$60k as outfitted in items 11 and 12:

1) Premium leather option to match the cool navigation

2) Same battery footprint with the same now extremely CHEAP 2900ma cells

3) CHAdeMO port standard (yes, Toyota is a founding member)

4) Twin AC charger option like Tesla for 80 amps

5) A real fuel gauge that doesn't stop at 80%!!

6) A real volume and tuning knob for the radio

7) Optional high efficiency tires and "unique" wheels (not the same wheels that go on a $28k oil burner Rav4)

8) Spare tire option

9) Next generation DTE/GOM - when a destination is input, it will calculate temperature, wind, ELEVATION, speed, route, road conditions (dry, wet, snow, etc)

10) Standard upscale "features" that really don't cost much to add:
--- adaptive cruise control
--- parking proximity sensors

11) Biggest sales tool.... join the Tesla Supercharger network (I'll pay $2999 for that option, $1500 cost to Toyota)

12) Optionally add enough kWh to match the range of the 60kWh Model S (I'll pay a significant premium)

13) Timer override button on dash AND at charge port. Turning on the car, then off, to get a screen on the navigation screen to allow me to select "charge immediately" is dumb.

14) Move charge port location to the front of the car, and not where the gasoline hole is supposed to go.

15) Rated range displayed on DTE/GOM if no destination is input.

Tony, I like your list. I propose to modify #7:

7. Optional "High Efficiency" package with unique wheels and ECO tires and lowered ride height or air suspension.

I also wouldn't mind if they changed to the Venza platform. It seems to already have enough ground clearance for the battery.

TonyWilliams said:
miimura said:
I also wouldn't mind if they changed to the Venza platform. It seems to already have enough ground clearance for the battery.

I'd be cool with that. There might be some mileage and efficiency advantages.
I have a Venza in my garage while the transmission is being replaced in my RAV4 oil burner (even the oil burner has a major whine issue ;)), and I must say, the Venza might make a lot of sense if they want to offer a bigger battery, or more options. The car feels heavier than the RAV4, but it's quieter, and tons of room.

Just give it the ability to have Tesla Supercharger hardware/access (w/ fees) and sell it for ~$35k and I'll be first in line to trade in my 2012. Other than that, I'll wait for the $35k Telsa (w/ Supercharger, I hope).

occ said:
Just give it the ability to have Tesla Supercharger hardware/access (w/ fees) and sell it for ~$35k and I'll be first in line to trade in my 2012. Other than that, I'll wait for the $35k Telsa (w/ Supercharger, I hope).

You / we might be waiting a l o n g time for a $35K Tesla. Note that the Model S was originally advertised as starting at $50K, and now the cheapest config is $63.6K after the $7500 tax credit. I think that it will take them quite awhile (if ever) to offer a car for half that price - they will need a big battery advance (LiS ?) in addition to any economies of scale. I'm thinking that the "$35K" Tesla will cost close to $50K after a few reasonable options (similarly equipped to the RAV4 EV).

When would a RAV$ EV 2014 (updated or not) be scheduled to appear on the sales floors? that should make them a bit more motivated to move the remaining 2013s.
I'm considering buying or leasing. Waiting to see what Sep. 4th brings beyond the current lease deal, (hopefully something like the 10K discount from earlier in the year) although if a 2014 is on the horizon it may be worth waiting a bit longer...
Any ideas or input are welcomed!

4REV4 said:
although if a 2014 is on the horizon it may be worth waiting a bit longer...
Any ideas or input are welcomed!

My input is that waiting for a 2014 (that will be exactly the same as a 2012 or 2013) is silly if you want one.

Plus, they are likely to not offer the same deals on the 2014 when it's released (although the 2013's just showed up... no fanfare, no nothing).

The zero down, unlimited miles, $444 month deal with $19k-ish residual... it just doesn't get any better than that.

Hmm, perhaps... and it may also be better to lease rather than buy considering how many problems there seem to be....not being a tech person, I may end up with quite a headache if I buy, whereas if leased at least I don't own the trouble if I'm one of the unlucky ones getting a car with problems.
Quite a difficult decision though. You all seem to love AND hate the car and for good reasons... lots to consider

TonyWilliams said:
qwk said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
I believe the cheapest Model S (40 kwh model) started at $59,900 before $7,500 Federal tax credit.
$57,400

Yes, they did that to advertise $49,900 (teeny tiny print, "after $7500 tax credit).

Those who (lucky few) got that 40kwh version got a hell of a deal. They really got a 60kwh version with 40kwh battery usage. Those cars' battery packs will last a lot longer than our Rav4EV as the battery will never be 100% full. Only 66% filled, right in the middle of the battery sweet spot.

Hmm.... I wonder if one should 100% charge these Tesla S all the time.

Back