Windshield replacement

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damchi

I had something hit my window a few weeks back causing a 3 inch round break in my windshield. It was to big to fill and fix, so after talking to Safelite for 30 minutes trying to make sure they understood that the car was a EV, I set up an appointment. They came out and right away the insaller knew it was the wrong windshield ordered. Did not have the humidity sensor attached. Installer took down the vin number and had Safelite call me when they found the right window. Two days later they called and said there is no after market windows for the Rav4 EV and would have to order factory made from Toyota. I called Toyota and they said just to be safe I should have the work done through Toyota that way there was no problem with the warranty. I decided to have Toyota install the window. The company they used did a great job and finished in less than a day (normal). Toyota cost $90 less than Safelite. Toyota cost for a factory windshield $1,270.

Too bad about your windshield.

Was the $1270 for the windshield + installation or just the windshield itself? Hopefully that was for the whole job...

Wow, that's so expensive, but maybe the going rate for this car. A few months ago, I replaced the windshield on my 2012 Sportage and Safelite only charged about $350. What is so fancy about the Rav4 EV's windshield?

I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite. It was covered by insurance so I only had to pay my $50 deductible. This job was not straightforward. Safelite showed up twice with the wrong (ICE) RAV4 windshields. Unlike other $350 windshields, the RAV4 EV windshield is not made by non OEM manufacturers. Only Toyota makes the RAV4 EV windshield. Safelite ordered the part from Toyota and finished the job on their 3rd visit.

miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
cossie1600 said:
Does the rav4 ev have a special windshield ??

Apparently, to make it quieter.

I'm not sure why a regular windshield with the oil burner trim wouldn't pop right in.
It may have something to do with the humidity sensor.

Do you know what the humidity sensor does (I'm guessing it senses humidity...lol) but don't understand why it appears to be a special feature of the Rav4 EV.

Thanks!

I believe it changes the HVAC control under the ECO LO or ECO HI mode. I saw the sensor when I looked back at the rear view mirror

Todd said:
Do you know what the humidity sensor does (I'm guessing it senses humidity...lol) but don't understand why it appears to be a special feature of the Rav4 EV.

Thanks!
People have noticed that the car's ventilation system unpredictably drops out of recirculate to fresh air. The input from the humidity sensor probably triggers it to prevent fogging. The algorithm probably needs improvement because it frequently happens in conditions that don't seem to be close to fogging.

When ever I have a windshield replaced I always ask for OEM. They are much more expensive but generally will not have any imperfections. I have auto club and pay for a $100 deductible. That way when the windshield is replaced I pay on the $100. Auto Club requires prior approval but it is worth the effort. You are right OEMs can get expensive. My NSX windshield cost $1800 from Acura. But it is made in Japan and perfect. The insurance companies prefer to use aftermarket. Just make sure that there are no imperfections in the glass.
Manny

There is no aftermarket. The guy ordered a Toyota windshield Monday, I am getting it installed tomorrow. No deductible for glass for me. I just saved $1400 bucks

Back