Tire pressure?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commasign

What tire pressure does everyone use? The sticker on the car says 32psi but for some reason my dealer inflated them all to 45psi (maybe for transport)? I have them at 35psi now.

Has anybody measured how much efficiency (mi / kWh) increases when you inflate the tires above the recommended 32 mpg and drive on our California roads?

I know this goes against convention and physics but for some reason my guess-o-meter shows higher range since lowering the tire pressure from 45 psi down to 35 psi. Before it was showing high 80's/low 90's with climate on Eco High and now its showing mid to high 90's at same climate setting. Today it showed a record 99 miles range on standard charge. Maybe it's just a fluke though.

42 psi all around.
On the same work commute, with 32 psi I was averaging between 3.3 to 3.5 mile/kwh.
With 42 psi, I average between 3.5 to 3.8 mile kwh.
Don't rely on the Guess-O-meter for any supporting data.. It has a mind of its own...
Now that I see other folks pumping the tires even higher, I will probably bump it up to 45 psi.

I just checked on the tire, and it says 44 psi ...
So, I guess I'm going to bump to 44 psi from 42 psi ..

One question though .. Why are some folks putting more air in the front ? These are not ICE cars, and the bulk of the weight is in the middle, and not in the front.
It does not make sense to put more pressure in the front.

rayray said:
I just checked on the tire, and it says 44 psi ...
So, I guess I'm going to bump to 44 psi from 42 psi ..

One question though .. Why are some folks putting more air in the front ? These are not ICE cars, and the bulk of the weight is in the middle, and not in the front.
It does not make sense to put more pressure in the front.

With high profile tires, if you corner fast, the outside tread, on the front tends to disappear. :D

That is the master plan!
This way, I can ensure the tires wear out prematurely, so that the wife will not complain when I have the "need" for new tires, and I get a new set of
nicer wheels and tires that weigh less from Tirerack ..... :lol:

Back