Blink "Do you have an RAV4 EV?" survey?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

I just received a survey with this title from Blink. Has anyone else?

Any thoughts as to what they're up to or why they want to know this information? I'm aware of the issue with Tony's meltdown and I have to wonder if Blink is trying to identify RAV people so they can do something... fix it? back out of your agreement? what?

-Aries

Aries said:

Any thoughts as to what they're up to or why they want to know this information? I'm aware of the issue with Tony's meltdown and I have to wonder if Blink is trying to identify RAV people so they can do something... fix it? back out of your agreement? what?

-Aries

Well, the took my Blink, so I'm off the mailing list!!

They either swap out the Rema brand J1772 plug / cable, or reduce the power to 17 amps.

TonyWilliams said:
Aries said:

-Aries

Well, the took my Blink, so I'm off the mailing list!!

They either swap out the Rema brand J1772 plug / cable, or reduce the power to 17 amps.

I already replaced the handle myself with one of those ITT ones. I don't want them reducing power or anything else.. which is what I am suspicious of. I also don't want them noting that I replaced the handle and using that as an excuse to get out of something...

So... its why I am curious about this survey....

Aries said:
I already replaced the handle myself with one of those ITT ones. I don't want them reducing power or anything else.. which is what I am suspicious of. I also don't want them noting that I replaced the handle and using that as an excuse to get out of something...

Then, I wouldn't tell them you have a Rav4 !!!

I got the "Survey", however, it was just asking for Name, RAV4 EV Model Year, and e-mail so that they can follow up. I only have a Blink card for public charger use - which I have never used.

"Even though a root cause for the observed phenomenon is yet to be definitively verified, in the interim, on August 9, 2013, the Company commenced the reduction of the maximum power delivered by certain of the EVSEs, which reduction has been shown in limited laboratory test to reduce the temperature rise in the connector plug to acceptable levels” – ECOTALITY / BLINK SEC 8-K disclosure from Monday August 12th, 2013

Blinkj1772burntPinB.jpg

Blinkj1772burntPinA.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinB.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinA.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Aries said:

Then, I wouldn't tell them you have a Rav4 !!!

Of course, that would seem logical wouldn't it? Unless it turns out they have a useful solution such as replacing the handles... Then I'd think all rav4 people would want to identify themselves and save the $100+ cost I paid to refit mine.

So, I remain curious about the motivation of this survey.

I see some people have already identified themselves. Let's see if their blinks get power reduced, or if they get calls to schedule handle replacements. Hopefully these individuals will post any follow up or observations that may occur, please.

-Aries

I responded to the short survey. If anyone from Ecotality actually calls me, I'll tell them that the Blink is used exclusively for my Volt, while I have the Toyota-recommended Leviton 40-amp charger for the Rav4 EV. I would never plug in my Rav4 EV to the Blink (but I have plugged in my Volt to the Leviton with no problem).

They replaced my cords already, but temps are still fairly high when charging. I've charged the RAV almost exclusively on the included L1 charger all summer, and only used the Blink for a couple hours at a time while I'm awake and available to keep tabs on it. I mostly use the Blink to charge my Volt, and it's already slow to charge, so a reduction probably wouldn't affect it much.

Needless to say, I think it's finally time for a Clipper Creek.

I think the Blink charging units from my workplace has been lowered. I get about 12 miles/hr of charging now on the GOM display. I used to get about 15 miles/hr on the GOM.

I complained to Blink 3 months ago when I got my Rav4 EV that my handle pegged my thermal scaner at 210 F at only 20 minutes on both pin sets. The outside of the handle was still only 95 F. The Blink got warm on my 3.3 kW Leaf so I got a CS-60 the same day I picked up my car. The Blink was unplugged right after the test and has been in the box since. I wouldn't stick anyone with this safety hazard. No surpise that I never heard back from Blink. I expected something like this to happen. The worst case is I sell it without a cord for a few bucks. I won't invest $150 to fix it up.

Aries said:
... Unless it turns out they have a useful solution such as replacing the handles... Then I'd think all rav4 people would want to identify themselves and save the $100+ cost I paid to refit mine.

I don't think the near bankrupt company will come out an spend money! I know I wouldn't volunteer my unit to find out that they will lower the amps to 17 (like they specifically said they would do in their recent filing to the DOE).

I haven't received a survey although I've already told them I have a 2012 RAV4-EV.

My cord was replaced last week. When I was purchasing the 2012 RAV4-EV I called Blink to make sure that I would not have issues they assured me there would be no issues. Of course I tested it first and the consensus on this forum was the temperature rise was too much. When I finally called them with temperature data they arranged for the cord replacement. The new cord is the same version as previous one so I suspect Blink/Rema do not yet know how to identify problem parts. First test with the new cord went well but I will need to do some more testing to get confidence.

arnold

I got the survey but deleted it since I don't have a Rav4 EV. I DO have a '13 Leaf with 6 kW onboard charger, so I wouldn't be surprised if faulty Rema handles overheat w/such cars. After all, other 6+ kW J1772 equipped cars have also had similar issues w/faulty Rema handles on Blink EVSEs.

The '11-'12 Leafs had a 3.3 kW OBC so the handles wouldn't overheat on those...

I got it too...
Deleted it promptly considering the source. With the new CS-60, the Blink is relegated to Leaf 6.6 duty, which may still be a hazard. The notice could be Blink attempting to gather info for legal action toward the defective cord vendor, or they want to DE-rate the EVSE. Personally, I'm going to wait for Blink to go under, then my contract with Blink should be void, and I will purchase a nice quality cord of my choice and install it myself.

Sadly :( , we the people, and our taxes will end up fixing all the defective cords. Just another speed bump on the EV highway.

Is there any word on L3's being included, or is this just L2's?

doug401 said:
I got it too...
Deleted it promptly considering the source. With the new CS-60, the Blink is relegated to Leaf 6.6 duty, which may still be a hazard. The notice could be Blink attempting to gather info for legal action toward the defective cord vendor, or they want to DE-rate the EVSE. Personally, I'm going to wait for Blink to go under, then my contract with Blink should be void, and I will purchase a nice quality cord of my choice and install it myself.

The RAV4-EV and the 6.6kW LEAF will draw more or less the same amount from the Blink. The EVSE sets the limit. The charger will draw to the limit unless it wants or needs less. It can't draw above the limit set by the EVSE. If you don't trust it for the RAV4 then you shouldn't trust it for the 6.6 kW LEAF (one possible mitigating factor is the size of the battery, the LEAF will likely charge for less time that the RAV). Some vehicles (notably Teslas and conversions with their own chargers) can ignore the pilot (limit) set by the EVSE. I'm sure someday we will find damaged EVSEs cause by people abusing that.

arnold

Back