Free BEV parking at Long Beach Airport

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufojoe

While checking to see if Long Beach Airport had charging stations, I found that they have free parking, for BEV's only, in any of their lots. Pretty cool as parking can cost up to $19 a day. They also have 5 brand new Blink (ugh) chargers for $1 an hour.

Ah, very good to know! Thank-you. Now that LAX canceled their free parking for EVs, we now can use Long Beach, which is closer to OC too!

I read that too, which got me searching for other local airports with the same offer. Unfortunately, I didn't find any, but since I'm only 1 mile away from LGB, I'll try and use it as often as I can.

I wonder how people handle the Blink chargers when traveling. People plug in for a week to get a 5 hour charge? Will it turn off when full or turn back on when needed? I noticed my home charger kept notifying me that charging was complete and I'm thinking it would kick on every now and then to keep the car fully charged. This could really add up at a Blink EVSE over a period of a week.

I thought I heard Blink charged for time plugged in regardless off whether or not you are actively charging. Anyone know if that's true? More out of curiosity as given the issues with the Blinks I would avoid using them unless necessary.

Anyone know how you actually get the free parking? I don't recall if LGB has manned exit booths but I know they encourage you to prepay before you exit.

I just got back from a 4 day trip and used parking lot "A". Go to the manned "cash" lane exit, tell them you're in a EV(which she questioned at first, as she had obviously never seen an RAV4EV,then looked down and saw the electric badge), and they will dig in their drawer for the paperwork that needs to be filled out. They took my CDL, and walked out of the booth to look and write down my license plate number. The process took about 3 minutes. Normal $76 charge for parking was FREE!! And I was steps from the terminal!! Plus, the ease of both Long Beach Airport and Jet Blue makes for easy travel....

I didn't get a chance to find or use the Blink chargers.......I didn't need too anyhow, I had around 50 miles range (extended) left from a round trip from the Newport Beach area....No need to pay for charging.

That's pretty cool ufojoe, thanks for the update! I wish LAX would do this.

I agree, not sure the airport is an optimal place for charging unless you're only there short term. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Back