Can we use a Scanguage to monitor the rav4 ev?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarjackpv

Hey I have a scan gauge for my Prius and wanted to move it over to my Rav 4 ev. He anyone tried this before? I'm looking for codes but can't find them.

TonyWilliams said:
solarjackpv said:
Hey I have a scan gauge for my Prius and wanted to move it over to my Rav 4 ev. He anyone tried this before? I'm looking for codes but can't find them.

EVs are not required to use OBD2 protocols, since they don't pollute.

I seriously doubt you'll get anything valuable.
I bought a cheap ELM327 emulator device and got nothing, just as Tony predicted. There is however a slightly different plug in the back that is part of the Tesla system and I am curious if it has anything on it. I have a short OBD extension that I am going to modify to fit that receptacle.

Ampster said:
TonyWilliams said:
solarjackpv said:

EVs are not required to use OBD2 protocols, since they don't pollute.

I seriously doubt you'll get anything valuable.

I bought a cheap ELM327 emulator device and got nothing, just as Tony predicted. There is however a slightly different plug in the back that is part of the Tesla system and I am curious if it has anything on it. I have a short OBD extension that I am going to modify to fit that receptacle.

Yes, tons of valuable stuff. Please decode it all for us!!!

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=122

We opened up the communications "Gateway computer" module at the left rear of the Rav4, and logged data for a future "energy level" instrument.

Rav4loggingData1_zps3fed23f5.jpg

Here is the Tesla proprietary connector. Pins 6 and 14 carry all the good stuff. The purple-ish connector is the antenna for the cellular phone:

Rav4loggingDataTeslaPort_zps1b504574.jpg

Here's a picture of the hardware. It has an AT&T SIM card on it, cellular phone, and other assorted hardware to communicate the data in the car to Tesla and Toyota:

Rav4loggingDataECUcard_zps15e5bfc9.jpg

We did log off the OBD2 port under the dash, but it doesn't appear to have any EV data:

Rav4loggingData4_zps010f43f8.jpg

Here's a stream of data from "102". The data at the left is the time in milliseconds. This stream went up numerically (in hexidecimal) as the car charged, and stopped when the charge was interrupted. We also did a drive with all the equipment connected to log that data as well:

Rav4loggingData2_zps455625e4.jpg

Hi Tony,

Is that logger written to a file that I can take a look at? I'm curious to know what "6102" might be and if the values further up (or down) change it.

talking with Tony and now looking at some of the data, it would be nice if Toy/Tesla kept the OBC industry standard using the CAN bus format of 0x610 and up..

Like Brusa, Elcon, Eltek, etc.

if I'm reading those right, then they are 610 msgs coming off the charger with the CC/CV controls streaming after them..

Jason

P.S. Similar to the way we're reading CAN on the Leaf. 610-614..

3f9b052a154a4e218e1ce50c80a86961.jpg

Back