75 miles on the first day, random thoughts

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

I picked up my car from the dealer today (VIN 21xx). Let me just say I immediately wonder why I leased my Leaf as the RAV4 is better vehicle in almost every single way with the exception of price. For one, the motor on the RAV4 is so much stronger. The car is bigger and way more comfortable. They also pack the car with a lot of comfort features too. Coming from a Lexus RX450h, I can tell you the RAV4 still lacks a lot of refined items, but it still is no econobox as it packs quite a few options and the EV is probably the best you can buy short of paying for a Tesla. With all the love, I do have a couple of questions and thoughts.

#1 Why does the heated seat logo appear on the HVAC when I put the car in eco high?
#2 Why are the LRR tires so crappy. I was trying to merge onto the highway, I literally spun the tires all the way to 30mph.
#3 Steering is kind dead, car feels nimble, but it really can't corner. I still say it is on par with the Leaf though.
#4 No backlight on the steering wheel controls, really?
#5 The stereo is awesome, way better than the 10 speaker system on my RX450h.
#6 The NAV unit is great, it has the new functions along with the high resolution screen. No volume knob is annoying, also the lack of ability to seek up and down is difficult.
#7 THe LED headlights are so niccccccceeeeeeeeee, I love it.
#8 Entune is garbage
#9 I wish the average miles/kwh consumption is on the info screen
#10 Why are the floor mats so nasty? Little bits of furballs are coming out of mine. Also my rear mat was rolled so hard that it can't stay flat!!!
#11 The under floor trunk storage is SWEET!
#12 Why are the spare emgerency kit wrapped like an Egyptian mummy?

Overall, I am very happy with the vehicle. It got the mileage that it was showing at the start of the trip. Power was good, but I definitely need to get more grip into the car. Lastly the radio takes a while to get used to, but it honestly isn't bad at all. I do have to figure out why the screen jumps to another app from time to time

cossie1600 said:
#2 Why are the LRR tires so crappy. I was trying to merge onto the highway, I literally spun the tires all the way to 30mph.

what tires did you get? Mine are Yokohama GeoLander something-or-other. The Discount Tire guy (wherre I purchased the road hazard warranty) said they were good tires. They sell for $210 (he said).

I find they do NOT have good grip in the wet and spin easily even when it is dry.

Have you noticed serious torque steering when you punch it?????

Gene

I agree with everything on your list, cossie1600. Now if only I thought Toyota would fix all those issues in next year's model, there'd be at least one more sale from my family!

cossie1600 said:
#1 Why does the heated seat logo appear on the HVAC when I put the car in eco high?

Because that is how it saves running the resistance heater (Denso 6kW); it will power the seat heaters when the temperature is cool.

The aren't LRR tires. Yes, they spin easily. They are the same tires and wheels that have been on the Rav4 since 2009. You wouldn't expect Toyota to spend extra money, would you?

#3 Steering is kind dead, car feels nimble, but it really can't corner. I still say it is on par with the Leaf though.

It's a heavy compact SUV... have you tried cornering in the competition in that segment?

#4 No backlight on the steering wheel controls, really?

Oh, that's not the only oddities on the car.

#5 The stereo is awesome, way better than the 10 speaker system on my RX450h.

The control interface is abysmal, but it sounds good. Just don't try AM radio!!

#6 The NAV unit is great, it has the new functions along with the high resolution screen. No volume knob is annoying, also the lack of ability to seek up and down is difficult.

Try getting mute without holding something or making more than one button push!

#9 I wish the average miles/kwh consumption is on the info screen

It can, and you can also reset it from the steering wheel. It's just not in a format that makes any sense to mere humans.

Uh, the Nav functions are not that great.

1. Try getting the Nav to tell which city you are in. In other Toyota cars, you can press the "MAP" hard button for that. You can tell me how it works here as there is no MAP button or any buttons I tried.

2. You cannot seek up or down on waypoints, this is the same with others from Toyota. Not Rav4EV only issue.

Back