Finding 9.6kW EVSE

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcyoder

How do people easily find EVSEs that support the RAV4-EVs 9.6kW charge rate? I don't want to exclude the 6.6 kW chargers, but I want to find the faster ones.

Any suggestions for one near LAX?

Unfortunately, public 240A/40V EVSEs, necessary to charge the RAV4 EV at 9.6kWh, are a rare beast.

For public Level 2 chargers, you'll generally find either Chargepoint or Blink stations. These are almost invariably 208V/32A, and in the case of Blink, they have likely been "dialed down" to a lower amperage to avoid the overheating issues that have been discussed elsewhere on this forum. I've never seen a 240V/40A charger on those networks.

Higher-speed public chargers than the 208V/32A chargers are generally Level 3 fast chargers - either CHAdeMO chargers for the Leaf and a couple of other CHAdeMO-compatible cars, or the Tesla Superchargers for Tesla Model S cars that qualify. Even if you have a compatible car, these stations tend to be far more rare than the Level 2 chargers above, and they aren't compatible with the RAV4 EV.

While there are plenty of Level 2 charging stations out there that will top off the RAV4 EV, the only way I think you'll find one that will charge at the full 9.6kWh on the road is to check on PlugShare and see if you can find another owner with one who will allow you to use their private EVSE.

There are some higher current Clipper Creek units installed in public places. For example, Tesla had some Roadster High Power Wall Connector (Tesla branded Clipper Creek) units installed along 101 through the Central Coast at Rabobank locations. Those originally had Roadster plugs on them, but they have since been changed to J1772. However, even these are not 9.6kW, more like 8.3kW delivered to a RAV4 EV since they're still supplied with 208V. There are also some Clipper Creek branded units that I thought were CS-100's but PlugShare says they are only 30A. For example, SLO Promenade and Morro Bay.

The short answer to the original question is that there is no good way to find these locations.

miimura said:
There are some higher current Clipper Creek units installed in public places. For example, Tesla had some Roadster High Power Wall Connector (Tesla branded Clipper Creek) units installed along 101 through the Central Coast at Rabobank locations. Those originally had Roadster plugs on them, but they have since been changed to J1772. However, even these are not 9.6kW, more like 8.3kW delivered to a RAV4 EV since they're still supplied with 208V. There are also some Clipper Creek branded units that I thought were CS-100's but PlugShare says they are only 30A. For example, SLO Promenade and Morro Bay.

The short answer to the original question is that there is no good way to find these locations.

There are several 240 volt / 70 amp chargers out there, but some will require a Roadster plug adapter (about $650... I have one modified for J1772 on the Rav4).

Rabobank in Goleta is 240/70 with J1772. The Berry Patch restaurant in Orlando, CA is 240/70, however it is a Roadster plug.

Every camp ground with "50 amp service" and a Tesla Models S UMC is ready for 240/40 into your Rav4 EV.

Back