Greetings

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkluzak

I just wanted to say hello and formally introduce myself. We just leased our RAV4 EV so I now get to live the EV experience daily along with my wife (she still has the Active E for now!!!)

Thanks to forums like this we were able to make a very informed decision and work a great deal with a local dealership..... Sorry Diane, they came so close it was not worth the drive up to Carson.

Looking forward to helping share our EV experience.

We are currently plug-sharing our one EVSE, so if anyone has a bead on someone looking to unload one please let me know, otherwise I'll probably give the Juicebox a try....never did understand why the EVSE is soooo expensive for such simple components.

Grant Kluzak

Welcome.

I'm new to the forum too and actually a cousin EV (Honda FIT) owner... the RAV 4Ev didn't offer the unlimited mileage at the time so I went with the FIT. The folks here on this forum are very knowledgeable and I learn a lot from them (things I never even thought about actually!) :)

Will your wife trade in for the BMW ie? A salesperson at dealership told me BMW was offering the first batch to current Active E owners then the rest of us...

gkluzak said:
We are currently plug-sharing our one EVSE, so if anyone has a bead on someone looking to unload one please let me know, otherwise I'll probably give the Juicebox a try....never did understand why the EVSE is soooo expensive for such simple components.

Grant Kluzak

Welcome, Grant, to the EV experience! I've got about 60,000 miles of EV driving under my belt, with 22,000 miles now on the Rav4.

I'm not a big fan of Juicebox when I saw some of the electrical safety shortcuts they were trying to make (they didn't even add GCFI until they were publically shamed into doing it). If you want to build something, I highly recommend OPENevse products from Chris Howell.

For a wall unit, I like the AeroVironment 30 amp unit. It can be purchased as a portable with a NEMA 6-50 plug, also (about $1000). Any of the CS series Clipper Creek units, 30 - 80 amps, are rock solid and my all time favorite ($1500 - $2500). Neither of these options would be considered "cheap", but then I don't mind paying for quality and durable products. You can buy the Leviton 30 or 40 amp unit at Home Depot ($1100), which I don't think there have been any issues with.

I have been modifying Tesla Model S portable "UMC"s that can charge at a full 40 amps with a NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50, but can also operate at a lower 24 amp rate from dryer plugs at a friend's house. The UMC kit is $650, J1772 plug is $155, and I will modify it for $200 plus shipping (if applicable):

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7393#p7393

EVlearner said:
Welcome.

I'm new to the forum too and actually a cousin EV (Honda FIT) owner... the RAV 4Ev didn't offer the unlimited mileage at the time so I went with the FIT. The folks here on this forum are very knowledgeable and I learn a lot from them (things I never even thought about actually!) :)

Will your wife trade in for the BMW ie? A salesperson at dealership told me BMW was offering the first batch to current Active E owners then the rest of us...

EVlearner, I agree the info here is fantastic, the Mrs has been getting most of her BMW info from their Facebook Group. We will definitely take a look at the i3, and are sure hoping that BMW offers some enticing incentives for us to stay BMW. We'll have to see.

TonyWilliams said:
gkluzak said:

Grant Kluzak

Welcome, Grant, to the EV experience! I've got about 60,000 miles of EV driving under my belt, with 22,000 miles now on the Rav4.

I'm not a big fan of Juicebox when I saw some of the electrical safety shortcuts they were trying to make (they didn't even add GCFI until they were publically shamed into doing it). If you want to build something, I highly recommend OPENevse products from Chris Howell.

For a wall unit, I like the AeroVironment 30 amp unit. It can be purchased as a portable with a NEMA 6-50 plug, also (about $1000). Any of the CS series Clipper Creek units, 30 - 80 amps, are rock solid and my all time favorite ($1500 - $2500). Neither of these options would be considered "cheap", but then I don't mind paying for quality and durable products. You can buy the Leviton 30 or 40 amp unit at Home Depot ($1100), which I don't think there have been any issues with.

I have been modifying Tesla Model S portable "UMC"s that can charge at a full 40 amps with a NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50, but can also operate at a lower 24 amp rate from dryer plugs at a friend's house. The UMC kit is $650, J1772 plug is $155, and I will modify it for $200 plus shipping (if applicable)

Tony, Thanks. I'll take a look at the electrical safety issues on the Juicebox. We've got the Aerovironment 30 Amp that we bought and self installed when we got the Active E, and plugsharing has worked in the garage so far. I am looking to have the 20-40 Amp portable capability for both the second home option, and longer trips. Your Tesla option is interesting.

Grant

The JuiceBox Premium edition always came with a GFCI. They tried to create a low cost price point for a basic version that didn't have GFCI but that was a mistake, the number of situations where that was useful was really small (and smaller than they assumed) and fine print is something lots of people are prone to ignore. They wisely added the GFCI option. They are also trying to keep the advertised price low by separating the price of the cords. This is a logical choice from a purely analytical perspective but this created a poor impression because benefit it provided was only for a small set of people.

arnold

I now have the Leviton 40amp unit installed in my garage, but i had my installer buy the non-wire-in version, so i have an L6-50 plug on it (so that if i ever get a different EVSE i can plug it in there). As it happens, i have a 10-30 dryer plug in the same garage that can also be used to charge a 2nd EV (although at the moment i only have one). That plug was already there, and the installer just ran a totally new circuit for the Leviton.

I carry a Siemens VersaCharge
http://w3.usa.siemens.com/powerdistribution/us/en/product-portfolio/electricvehicle/pages/electricvehicle.aspx

in the "trunk" of my Rav4EV with some plug adapters. For a few months i used it when up in the mountains to charge the car but now its just for getting L2 charging if i visit someone's house with the EV or run into an RV park that has 50 amp outlets.

I highly advise having a "portable" L2 charger to take with you if you do much foraging around with your car. Its much more practical than plugging in with 110V (which i still do in my garage in Fremont though).

Hi there from New Jersey!

I'm new to the forum as well and just received my Rav4 EV yesterday.
Our other vehicles:
2011 Chevy Volt (3 year lease ends next month)
2011 BMW Active E
2010 Zero X

all powered by our 6.9 KW Enphase PV Solar System

Airton
Out of State Club :D

Help advice needed!
I am also a new owner.....picking up my RAV tomorrow from Dianne. I have been trying to read all i can on this forum and thank all for sharing your expertise because we are TOTAL newbees in this world of EVs and are taking a leap of faith based on the research we have done. I noticed that Tony is a neighbor( we just moved from Poway to San Marcos)....and I am sure you are tired of answering the same questions but if you can bear it again.......
1. Is there an electrician you would recommend in our area?
2. I read you recommend the 40amp Clipper Creek charger, Dianne is recommending the Seimans versicharger 30 amp. I am basically using this car to commute to work in El Cajon every day (85 miles round trip). Plan to charge at night when SDGE rates are lowest. Do you think the brand or amps make much difference?
3. I could not find a tax credit or rebate for installing a level 2 charger...are you aware of any?
4. Probably an ignorant question but are there any solar powered portable chargers that could power up the batteries while sitting at work all day? My work will not let me plug in.
Thanks for any advice

3) http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/30C (summary: you get 30% of your costs credited back to you)
Also your Utility company may also offer cash back.
For example Anaheim Public Utilities gave me a check for $1,500. http://www.anaheim.net/article.asp?id=4946
LA will give you $750 towards the charger (not towards installation) https://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/faces/w..._afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=95xq2eysa_29

Edit: Forgot the main point of this thread. Welcome Grant! I too am a new owner. Congrats on the Lease!

aboxer said:
1. Is there an electrician you would recommend in our area?

There are lots of electricians, but something as simple as a 50 amp breaker, some 6 gauge wire and a wall socket, anybody can do. I could even come over and "consult" for your installation for a fixed $200 fee.

2. I read you recommend the 40amp Clipper Creek charger, Dianne is recommending the Seimans versicharger 30 amp. I am basically using this car to commute to work in El Cajon every day (85 miles round trip). Plan to charge at night when SDGE rates are lowest. Do you think the brand or amps make much difference?

For 85 miles a day minimum, and only 5 hours from midnight to 5am to get the "Super Off Peak" electricity rate from SDG&E, I would get a 40 amp charger. That leaves the examples I made above: Tesla UMC, Clipper Creek, or Leviton.

But, if you want a 30 amp unit, they are very plentiful. I like the AeroVironment unit that you can plug into the wall, and take it with you, too. It comes with a really nice 25 foot cable and it's rock sold dependable:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/at_home

3. I could not find a tax credit or rebate for installing a level 2 charger...are you aware of any?

It could be 30% from our US government!

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

4. Probably an ignorant question but are there any solar powered portable chargers that could power up the batteries while sitting at work all day? My work will not let me plug in.

You don't need to plug in at work if it's only 85 miles round trip, but of course, this can be done. How much do you want to spend doing it?

Back