Any advice for getting a charger installed in a condo?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portishead

I am trying to get a charger hooked up in my condo. I don't think it will be a problem getting it approved, but I want to make sure I get everything installed correctly. Also, I will probably want to get the next gen Tesla so keep that in mind as well.

I'm assuming I want a NEMA 6-50 receptacle right? What good will getting a 14-50 do? Then I'll have a 50amp hookup ready to use with any charger I want to use. FYI, I plan on getting the Leviton EVB40-5PT. The only problem I can think of, is how I am going to mount the Levitron. I only have a round concrete column next to my parking spot that I don't think the HOA will want me to drill into. I think I'm going to have to get a little creative how to mount it. Also don't want it to get stolen either. So there's that. Thanks!

I would do a custom portable one that you can lock in your Rav. Somehow need to get the cables out to plug in to charge.......hmm at that amperage, I bet they will be too thick without putting them through a window.

portishead said:
I am trying to get a charger hooked up in my condo. I don't think it will be a problem getting it approved, but I want to make sure I get everything installed correctly. Also, I will probably want to get the next gen Tesla so keep that in mind as well.

I'm assuming I want a NEMA 6-50 receptacle right? What good will getting a 14-50 do? Then I'll have a 50amp hookup ready to use with any charger I want to use. FYI, I plan on getting the Leviton EVB40-5PT. The only problem I can think of, is how I am going to mount the Levitron. I only have a round concrete column next to my parking spot that I don't think the HOA will want me to drill into. I think I'm going to have to get a little creative how to mount it. Also don't want it to get stolen either. So there's that. Thanks!

Why don't you either get a Siemens versicharge or a converted Tesla UMC by Tony. Then you can throw them in your trunk everyday on the way out and not have to worry about them getting stolen. And when you are charging you can park your wheel on top of the cord to keep the evse from walking away (Diannes advice!)

Have the Leviton installed permanently on the concrete wall.
( Don't buy their installation kit).
Have a carpenter build you a cabinet ( wood/steel) with a padlock.

That's how i did it. :)

Re: Electrical wiring for the Leviton

You have 2 choices.

1. Have a conduit that will run from your circuit breaker to the garage. An electrician ca give you a quote for that (mine was $1,200) coming from a 3rd floor unit and going all the way down to the garage.
2. Have your own electric meter. ( i was told this is going to be more expensive and uglier)

The benefit of number 2 is that your electrical company can give you the lowest rate possible for someone with an EV.

portishead said:
I am trying to get a charger hooked up in my condo. ................... FYI, I plan on getting the Leviton EVB40-5PT. The only problem I can think of, is how I am going to mount the Levitron. I only have a round concrete column next to my parking spot that I don't think the HOA will want me to drill into. I think I'm going to have to get a little creative how to mount it. Also don't want it to get stolen either. So there's that. Thanks!

You could strap (metal straps) the backing plate to the column like they do freeway signs on round concrete columns. Your installer can figure out something based on the limitations of the HOA. If you have a concrete wall, the above recommendation would work quite well. Without a more specific site plan it is hard to come up with a more appropriate recommendation.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize I might have to run the power from my electrical box on the second floor. I thought I could run it from the electrical room which is about 75 feet from my parking spot. I'll have to have the electrician figure that one out. Not sure if I can get a dedicated meter, I'll find out.

I think I'll see if I can do the "metal strap" route as suggested. It's a pain to take the cable out every time, and running over the cable is also a pain. I've been doing that already with a public charger. I'd probably rather risk the unit being stolen than do that every day or every few days. It is a secure parking garage, so I feel like as long as I had it semi-secure, nobody will mess with it.

portishead said:
I'm assuming I want a NEMA 6-50 receptacle right? What good will getting a 14-50 do?
The 14-50 is just a much more common plug/receptacle, so if you put that plug on your EVSE then you can take it with you and easily plug it in at places like RV parks. Also, the 14-50 includes a neutral, which means you can use it for 120v loads as well. Perhaps you might want to unplug the EVSE at times and plug in some power tools or something (with a proper adapter of course) down in the garage. So for the relatively minor expense of adding one more wire to the circuit, you get an outlet that could have some utility beyond just plugging in your EVSE. Also there are some nice and budget-friendly outdoor enclosures available for 14-50s, like this one that I had put in.

mark_rivers19 said:

You have 2 choices.

1. Have a conduit that will run from your circuit breaker to the garage. An electrician ca give you a quote for that (mine was $1,200) coming from a 3rd floor unit and going all the way down to the garage.
2. Have your own electric meter. ( i was told this is going to be more expensive and uglier)

The benefit of number 2 is that your electrical company can give you the lowest rate possible for someone with an EV.

I didn't realize you're also in LA. Care to send me the info for your guy who did your install? I'm having someone look at my stuff today, but he mentioned he thinks it will be better to install a new meter ($2000 estimate + permits) plus another $1500 for the wiring.

I think I'd prefer just to run it from my electrical box in my condo if it's going to be significantly cheaper. My only issue is my HOA prefers me to use "their guy". But I want to get a second opinion.

portishead said:
mark_rivers19 said:

You have 2 choices.

I didn't realize you're also in LA. Care to send me the info for your guy who did your install? I'm having someone look at my stuff today, but he mentioned he thinks it will be better to install a new meter ($2000 estimate + permits) plus another $1500 for the wiring.

I think I'd prefer just to run it from my electrical box in my condo if it's going to be significantly cheaper. My only issue is my HOA prefers me to use "their guy". But I want to get a second opinion.

No problem!
the Company is 4 Over Electric
(818) 646-6849
(310) 421-2207
(626) 275-2414

Normally, if you have an attached garage ( which we don't have obviously) , they just charge around 400-600 all in
i did shop for an electrician, narrowed than into 4 who did free estimates.
the highest was $3,500 then $2,600 ( from Leviton) and these guys with $1,200.

They brought all the equipments, finished the job in 6 hours.
i suggest You schedule an appointment for the free estimate, and try other electricians too.
Who knows, you might get a cheaper deal than i did.

Back