Gas vs. EV Mileage Comparison Chart

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khoa

Hi all,

I was curious about how much I am actually saving compared to if I purchased a ICE Rav4 so created this spreadsheet.
(Screen shot comparing ICE Rav4 and EV Rav4)
Mileage_comparison_chart.png

You can download the spreadsheet here if you want to make your own comparison.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/362n8t6jyr3uhy3/Mileage_Calculator.xlsx
(I locked the spreadsheet so you can only modify the green cells. If you want to edit everything, unlock it using the password "rav4ev"

I also broke down the savings per month so you can see how much you are saving vs. how much more the EV version is.
Of course this doesn't take into consideration HOV access, increased level of driving enjoyment, that "going green" feeling etc...
Also note I am using the EPA fuel economy value of 2.27 Miles / kWh for the RAV 4 EV. You can easily get at least 3 miles / kWh which would make the difference even greater.

Don't forget about the conventional oil change for the ICE RAV4.
a DIY will cost you $45-60 if you already have the equipments at home.
BUT bringing it to the dealer is $100 easy.

Then there's the brakes.
i can only speak for our 2011 Prius Four with 120,000 but still have 7/10 on the brake pads.
Our ICE civic has never came close to that number nor milage.

rav4buyer said:
This is great. One question, how does one measure charger inefficiency?
You would have to divide the energy added to the battery by the energy taken from the wall. This will be about 0.85 to 0.90 (85% to 90%). Getting real numbers for these is not easy with the RAV. You have to do an "Update" on the EV screen and reset a trip odometer after a full charge. Drive the car. Just before your next charge write down the mileage and average mile/kWh. Calculate kWh by dividing miles by miles/kWh. Charge the car to the same level as before while using an energy measurement device on a dedicated EVSE circuit. Divide driving consumption kWh by kWh from the wall. That's your efficiency.

Back