Over Carson Pass in the Rav4EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3ckf

Hi folks,
I'm thinking of taking my Rav4EV to South Lake Tahoe over Carson Pass next week.

Anyone driving over the passes to Nevada or Tahoe in one? I"m interestested in how much range i actually *need* to reach South Lake. There's allegedly chargers in Nevada at Stateline so i can get it *back* if i get there.

I'm starting from my house at 3300' elevation near highway 88, and its 71 miles to South Lake. So even including a 3000' elevation change, i'm thinking it requires only about 90 miles of range to get there. Maybe as much as 110 (if you include goign all the way up to Carson Pass at 8000' but you shoudl get some of that back on the other side).

However i'd be interested if anyone has actually *done this* before.

So i did this. Turns out its about 75 miles of range on the GOM to go from my house up the hill to South Lake Tahoe (for calibration, my "extended charge" range was 107 miles before i left).
It took only 48 miles of range to go the "other" way. (its downhill...)

From Carson Pass (8000') to my house at 3300' is a direct straight shot down highway 88 and i used only 10 miles of range to about 43 miles. (driving at 50-55 most of the way).

The overall efficiency on the 70.1 mile trip was 4.4mi/kwh (that might be the highest i've ever seen in my vehicle).

Back