Leviton EVR 400 vs. Clipper Creek TS70

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruin nut

The Leviton unit is 1099 at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Evr-Green-400-40-Amp-Indoor-Outdoor-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-440-EVB40-P5T/204366644?MERCH=REC-_-product-3-_-204601220-_-204366644-_-N#.UlHGARZqPKM) and the Clipper Creek unit is on sale for 1395 (http://stores.homestead.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-25/Charging-Station--fdsh--TS70/Detail.bok). Another strong choice is the Tesla Model S UMC (modified by Tony Williams).

I know the Leviton maximizes the charging capacity of the Rav4 EV, but for $300 more, you get a "future-proofed" EVSE made by a company that makes the most reliable unit in the business. The only issue is the capacity of one's panel to accept a EVSE and a 90 amp circuit. My subpanel in my garage does not have that capacity now, but it can in the future. But since I already have a 50 amp dedicated EVSE circuit in my subpanel, can't I plug in the Clipper Creek unit into it, since I'll never need the extra power it delivers right now? Then, in future, when and if I need more charging power, then I can just upgrade the panel. Although I have to ask myself if I'll ever need an EVSE that adds 60 miles of range in one hour.

The bottom line is I need to get rid of my lousy detuned Blink unit, that takes 12 hours to recharge a depleted battery, and gives me little flexibility to charge and drive on the go.

I wouldn't buy any more charger than you need now - I put in wiring to handle the Leviton unit, but the free state supplied evse is only 30a and seems to be doing the job great, getting me fully charged each night with no problems, so I doubt I'll replace it. But I need something that is portable, will handle any power option from 110 to 240/40a, and with the little research I've done, it seems the Tony/Tesla unit is far and away the best option out there. I really need to get on his list -

Clipper Creek just told me that a 50 amp circuit would work on the unit since it would not draw more than 40 amps to charge my car. I'm leaning towards getting this unit, since it will charge my car the quickest, is only about $200 more than the Leviton, and it will handle future charging needs a lot better that the 40 amp Leviton unit. Plus, Clipper Creek units are pretty much bullet proof.

I plan on getting an EV when my lease is up in 3 years. By that time, they'll likely be lots of other choices, and surely several vehicles with chargers in excess of 10 kwh.

bruin nut said:
Clipper Creek just told me that a 50 amp circuit would work on the unit since it would not draw more than 40 amps to charge my car. I'm leaning towards getting this unit, since it will charge my car the quickest, is only about $200 more than the Leviton, and it will handle future charging needs a lot better that the 40 amp Leviton unit. Plus, Clipper Creek units are pretty much bullet proof.

I plan on getting an EV when my lease is up in 3 years. By that time, they'll likely be lots of other choices, and surely several vehicles with chargers in excess of 10 kwh.
This type of installation is NOT to code. While it is true that with your car nothing bad will happen, the device is capable of pulling more than what the circuit is capable of handling. If you were to plug in a Model S with dual chargers, the circuit breaker would trip. Granted, that's not the end of the world and it still can't "burn your house down" if you have the proper wire size and breaker, but the proper way to do this is to have Clipper Creek turn down the maximum pilot signal to 40 amps. However, I'm sure they don't want to do that for the current sale price. I don't recall what they have charged in the past to turn down the repurposed Mini-E Clipper Creek units.

miimura said:
bruin nut said:

This type of installation is NOT to code. While it is true that with your car nothing bad will happen, the device is capable of pulling more than what the circuit is capable of handling. If you were to plug in a Model S with dual chargers, the circuit breaker would trip. Granted, that's not the end of the world and it still can't "burn your house down" if you have the proper wire size and breaker, but the proper way to do this is to have Clipper Creek turn down the maximum pilot signal to 40 amps. However, I'm sure they don't want to do that for the current sale price. I don't recall what they have charged in the past to turn down the repurposed Mini-E Clipper Creek units.

I see what you are saying, but I have no plans to plug in a Tesla anytime soon, and certainly not without upgrading the circuit to handle the higher load. The Clipper Creek representative was pretty clear that I would have no problems with a 50 amp breaker while charging the Rav4 EV. I just don't see what the problem is with this unit and the RAV. And the price is great considering what you get. The CS-40 is $1895; CS-60 is $1995. Why get those units when I can get the TS-70 for just a little more than the Leviton? To me, it makes complete sense.

I have a repurposed CS-60 from the Mini-E trials, and I vaguely recall the amount quoted for reflashing the board to a lower pilot was like $50. I think how much or if they'll actually do it just depends on whom you talk to at CC. Like miimura said, they may be unwilling. The board has a standard ethernet jack on it, which is probably used for the reprogramming. Could be something that's not too hard to reverse engineer if you just plug in a laptop, but I haven't had the time to investigate.

fooljoe said:
I have a repurposed CS-60 from the Mini-E trials, and I vaguely recall the amount quoted for reflashing the board to a lower pilot was like $50. I think how much or if they'll actually do it just depends on whom you talk to at CC. Like miimura said, they may be unwilling. The board has a standard ethernet jack on it, which is probably used for the reprogramming. Could be something that's not too hard to reverse engineer if you just plug in a laptop, but I haven't had the time to investigate.

Do you any reason to a lower pilot if I'm using the EVSE within the tolerances allowed by the 50 amp circuit. When I get my next EV that has a stronger charger, then I'll upgrade the circuit (actually my electrician will do it) and I'll be good to go. That way, I don't have to fool with lowering the pilot and then raising it again to the default level.

bruin nut said:
Do you any reason to a lower pilot if I'm using the EVSE within the tolerances allowed by the 50 amp circuit. When I get my next EV that has a stronger charger, then I'll upgrade the circuit (actually my electrician will do it) and I'll be good to go. That way, I don't have to fool with lowering the pilot and then raising it again to the default level.
Like you said, it's fine if you're just using it with the Rav at 40a. The problem with code is that an EVSE is a sort of permanently-installed appliance, to there's the chance that you sell your house or whatever with the EVSE installed and someone comes along with a Tesla and just plugs in expecting it to deliver its advertised 70a.

By the way, I'm running my CS-60 on a 50amp circuit as well, and I didn't bother to reflash the board, although the worst that can happen with mine is that someone in a Tesla charges at 48a, which is still under 50, although it violates the 125% rule. It'd be great if CC could just give its users the software to do this simple modification ourselves, as they used to do with their old EVI charging stations. If it becomes something that's simple to do, then I'd go ahead and do it. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. But I should mention that if you can find an old CS-60 instead you might get a much better deal. I found mine on Craigslist for $250, then had to put on a new cable from TucsonEV myself (~$200). They used to be on ebay for ~$700, although I haven't seen any recently. Perhaps the seller exhausted his supply.

I ordered the Clipper Creek model. It just made the most sense. Now I'll try to sell my Blink unit. It works great, but just not at the level necessary.

bruin nut said:
I ordered the Clipper Creek model. It just made the most sense. Now I'll try to sell my Blink unit. It works great, but just not at the level necessary.
I guess you're lucky. I just checked their site and it appears to be gone now.

miimura said:
bruin nut said:

How about that? I ordered it around 2:00 pm. Maybe I got the last one. It's not even listed at the regular price. I love closeouts!

bruin nut said:
miimura said:
bruin nut said:

How about that? I ordered it around 2:00 pm. Maybe I got the last one. It's not even listed at the regular price. I love closeouts!

Confirmed. Clipper Creek said I got the last one they had.

Back