San Jose to Monterey Aquarium & Fisherman's wharf, possible?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

It's 145 miles round trip per Google. Now the question is can the car make it? I need to average 4.0 miles per kwh for this trip. Should I do it or just charge or drive something else?

cossie1600 said:
It's 145 miles round trip per Google. Now the question is can the car make it? I need to average 4.0 miles per kwh for this trip. Should I do it or just charge or drive something else?

Of course, you CAN make it.

Just have a backup plan to get a short charge somewhere. There is absolutely no need to take the oil car.

Good luck with 4 miles per kWh. Have you done it previously?

There are a couple of Chargepoints at Del Monte center. Lot$ to do while you wait for your boo$t. (car CHARGing inc station).

There are some others around the Monterey area.

We just completed a trip there from Folsom. Stopped at the Gilroy Outlets on 101, SemaConnect chargers next to the Sony store. You don't need an account, just call the support # 800-663-5633 and use a credit card to start a charging session, all automated. There is a parking garage at the corner of Prescott Ave and Wave St. in Monterey that has two ChargePoint chargers, this is just a block from the Aquarium. Parking isn't cheap, not sure what the hourly rate is, I was there for two days and it was $21.00 per day, but at least the chargers are free. There are a few other chargers along the way, check Recargo.com online, you shouldn't have any problems.

cossie1600 said:
Also, for this trip, you should do an "extended" charge (41.8kWh max. useable battery capacity).

145mi / 4mi/kWh = 36.25kWh

You would have to average more like 4.3mi/kWh on a standard charge (80% of 41.8 = 33.44kWh) to drive 145 miles in total range. That much range on a standard charge would be very, very difficult. If extended charged, you would only need to average 3.5mi/kWH. Definitely doable if you practice "hypermiling" during the trip.

However, if at your destination, your range gauge drop to <73 miles, I would try to find somewhere there or on the way back to charge for an hour or two just to be certain you can make it home.

To be conservative, you only have 85%-90% of the 41kwh battery available. I ended up doing 70mph the whole way on cruise control with AC off, the most I can squeeze out would be 115-125 miles in total based on what I could see. I used the garage on Wave St to charge the car back up to full, it did cost me $28 for parking today though. The charger was free, but there was only two. The first one was taken by a Tesla that I allow to turn in before i did!!!

Back