Cold Weather

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground_gainer

So it was the first really cold day here in Colorado with high temps in the 40s... My car sat outside all day while I was at work. When I went to drive home, the regenerative braking was "unavailable" (it popped an error) when I tried to switch over to "B" and it also didn't properly kick in when I just normally hit the brake in "D". After 15 minutes or so it looks like it "warmed up" and started working again.

Was this the weather that affected the regenerative braking or just some weird computer glitch? The battery gauge was at about 3/4 for my drive home so it definitely wasn't "full" or anything.

I did a couple of stops on the way home--after one of them "B" worked fine, after the second (shorter one), "B" was unavailable for the first 4 minutes of the drive but then started working again. So weird.

Anyone else ran into this error? If it keeps up I will try running the pre-climate before I drive and see if that makes it go away.

Not a glitch. Your battery is cold, and until it is heated up, it can't accept large charge rates (either through DC quick charging or regeneration).

The car doesn't know when you're ready to go, and it doesn't heat or cool the battery unless:

1) the car is in READY mode
2) the car is charging
3) the battery is pre-conditioned with the onboard timer, or with Entunes or the new RavCharge. NOTE:
.....a) battery must be above 50% SOC and
.....b) all doors must be closed

Back