Losing range on GOM

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vips

Hello,
I have the car for over 7 months now. My wife drives the car and we usually get 2.9 miles/kwh of EV efficiency per Entune.
We have been seeing GOM range of anywhere from 92-96 miles per std charge.
For last 3 days, we are consistently seeing 81 miles range after std charge.
The EV efficiency in Entune for last 3 days has been 3.0, 2.9 and 3.0 miles/kwh, very similar to what I see for many months now.

Even if the heater is kicking in at Eco Hi in the mornings (it is a bit cooler in the bay area in the morning), the entune app should show drop in efficiency, which I am not seeing.

I will continue to monitor this week to see if the range changes back to normal or not.

Any idea on what else might be causing this drop in range?

//Vips

eGremlins?

Seriously, I don't think anyone has figured out the logic that controls the GOM. If your actual efficiency is not changing, then just ignore the GOM and use the trip meter and gauge bars to figure out how much further you can drive.

This is pure speculation, but I think the GoM is heavily influenced by the manner in which you last drove the car. In that regard, the worse thing you can do, is turn on your RAV4 EV, then off, but not drive it anywhere. Or, after it was turned off after your last trip, turning it back on just to move a short distance like maneuvering to reach a charging station is curtains for the GoM's calibration. This will possibly register the lowest possible efficiency (0.0mi/kWh) for the car's "last drive" and pull down the internally stored efficiency calculation accordingly. Of course, it should not behave like that, but it seems to act like it actually does.

What you can try is a temporary 12V DC battery disconnect/reconnect to reset the computers in the car and then do a standard charge. This supposedly resets the GoM's internal range computation to a factory default. By doing the battery disconnect, I believe the internally stored driving efficiency will reset to a default of ~3.5mi/kWh after the battery is reconnected. Thus, after you do a standard recharge at that point, the indicated range on the GoM should increase to ~115 miles.

Try it and let us know what happens.

vips said:
Hello,
I have the car for over 7 months now. My wife drives the car and we usually get 2.9 miles/kwh of EV efficiency per Entune.
We have been seeing GOM range of anywhere from 92-96 miles per std charge.
For last 3 days, we are consistently seeing 81 miles range after std charge.
The EV efficiency in Entune for last 3 days has been 3.0, 2.9 and 3.0 miles/kwh, very similar to what I see for many months now.

Even if the heater is kicking in at Eco Hi in the mornings (it is a bit cooler in the bay area in the morning), the entune app should show drop in efficiency, which I am not seeing.

I will continue to monitor this week to see if the range changes back to normal or not.

Any idea on what else might be causing this drop in range?

//Vips

Ignore the GOM.
I'm getting a low as 81 on a full standard charge on a cold morning here in SoCal.
What's funny is, i can do 3-4miles on the trip meter before the 81 drops to 80.

And there are times when i use a public charging station, all i will get a 94, only to lose it to 91 with a 0.8 mile commute on the trip meter.

Back