Million Dollar Insurance Policy for Condo Install

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portishead

I sort of got my condo association to approve my EV install, however they send me 1 stupid requirement I was hoping they would skip over:

(C) Within 14 days of approval, provide a certificate of insurance that names the association as an additional insured under the owner's insurance policy in the amount set forth in paragraph. **Please provide a copy of proof of insurance for the Board to review during the second review scheduled on December 12, 2013)** **(3) The owner and each successive owner of the charging station, at all times, shall maintain a homeowner liability coverage policy in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000), and shall name the association as a named additional insured under the policy with a right to notice of cancellation.**

I called Geico to set this up, but they said they can't name my association under the policy or give them notice of cancellation. Does anyone have experience setting this up? I'm hoping to show proof to my association and they will approve it, but I'm not sure.

This is a pretty standard thing to do and shouldn't be too expensive. I assume you have your homeowner policy with them? Do you have an agent assigned to your account or were you just calling them on their phone line? Personally I would call back and ask to speak with a supervisor and find out why they can't do this. If I am working with a company that can't meet my needs then I move my business to one that can.

John

Will the EVSE be installed in the common area? Even if it is, it's a little over the top for the association to require this, but it's not that expensive. I have a $1M umbrella policy that only costs $203/yr.

To be clear, I was able to get a 1m Personal Umbrella policy, I was just not able to get them to name my association as an additional insured, and they weren't able to give me the option of giving them a notice of cancellation.

So if anyone has been able to get their association named as an additional insured with notice of cancellation, can you give me the company name or PM me. Bonus points for a rep phone number. I could also try Geico back and talk to someone else, as I get a discount on my auto insurance also.

Maybe the problem is I got a "personal umbrella" policy, and not a "homeowners policy".

I would definitely try Geico back again and ask them if that is an issue and how to accomplish what you are trying to do. It should not be that hard to do.

John

portishead said:
To be clear, I was able to get a 1m Personal Umbrella policy, I was just not able to get them to name my association as an additional insured, and they weren't able to give me the option of giving them a notice of cancellation.

So if anyone has been able to get their association named as an additional insured with notice of cancellation, can you give me the company name or PM me. Bonus points for a rep phone number. I could also try Geico back and talk to someone else, as I get a discount on my auto insurance also.

Maybe the problem is I got a "personal umbrella" policy, and not a "homeowners policy".
I think for the umbrella to apply you would have to have renter's or homeowner's insurance at that location. The umbrella is extending over another insurance. I know this is true of auto. Additional insured and notification is very common in the insurance business.

I thought I typed a response, but I don't see it.

Anyway, Geico and my property manager are trying to work through it to get the proper wording, but it sounds like I'll be good. They are going to name them as "additional interest" instead of "additional insured". And they are going to have access to verify my insurance is active, without giving away any personal info.

The HOA is apparently excited for my project and they are actually looking into doing a big install in our garage. Not sure if they'll ever do anything, but at least they are forward looking, and seem to have been supportive along the way.

Back