What's the best insurance for a Toyota Rav4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmajor

Just bought a 2012 Rav4 EV from a friend. It's still sitting in my garage as I've yet to get it insured.

What do you guys recommend? I want the cheapest possible insurance for this thing as I won't be driving it often (I'm a single male, and this is my third car).

I'm looking for not much more than the minimum required insurance, but I also want something somewhat reliable.

I heard these vehicles cost a mint to insure. Like $800+ for a six month policy. Would you guys say that this is accurate?

That question is so subjective that it is almost impossible to answer because there are far too many variables. You need to shop based on your parameters. What is good for one person may be terrible for you. Start with your present company and go from there, assuming you have one. If you do then you are now insured for 30 days in most cases.

If you are like most people, once you drive your new RAV, it will be your go-to car. We have four cars (a 2002 RAV4-EV, minivan, and a SUV) and the new RAV is our first choice unless the trip involves hauling a wet or dirty German Shepherd or two (the older RAV with a heavy-duty vinyl mat and the rear seats removed gets that duty). For one data point, we have State Farm and:

-multiple car discount
-multiple line discount
-good driver discount
-married
-$1,000 deductible (if you can afford to take a $1,000 loss, this is a good way to save money)
-collision, comprehensive
-$250K/$500K liability
-$223/6 months

John

jgblair said:
If you are like most people, once you drive your new RAV, it will be your go-to car. We have four cars (a 2002 RAV4-EV, minivan, and a SUV) and the new RAV is our first choice unless the trip involves hauling a wet or dirty German Shepherd or two (the older RAV with a heavy-duty vinyl mat and the rear seats removed gets that duty). For one data point, we have State Farm and:

-multiple car discount
-multiple line discount
-good driver discount
-married
-$1,000 deductible (if you can afford to take a $1,000 loss, this is a good way to save money)
-collision, comprehensive
-$250K/$500K liability
-$223/6 months

John

Clearly you don't live in the bay area with those rates :lol: Even a zip code change across a street can almost double ones rates which is why rates are irrelevant unless you are identical twins with the same car, driving record and live in the same house.

$339 for 6 months. ( GEICO)
(1 of 4 cars insured hence the multiple car discount)
Excellent driving history.
No tickets. No accident claims for >10years.
Living in a nice neighborhood CAN bring the cost down as well.
500 deductible.

$300,000/500,000 coverage.

thanks for the replies guys

yeah, i guess it depends on a lot of variables and nobody here can possibly know what MY insurance quote will be

nevertheless, i've been getting quotes all night, and here's what i found:

Allstate - $121/month
Esurance - $99/month
Farmers - $100/month
State Farm - $96/month
Progressive - $109/month
Amica - $99/month

Another company, http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com quoted me at just $69 a month, but they seem a bit sketchy. that $69/month premium just seems too good to be true, so I'll likely stay away

As of now, i think I'm gonna go with State Farm. they have the best combination of price and reputation (from what I've seen)

jgblair said:
North Bay (West Sonoma County)

John

My guess is an SF zip code would raise your rates significantly. Same for East Bay. Rural areas are usually much less depending on surrounding areas. I saved $200 a year moving from one city zip to another. Insurance rates in metro areas are insanely boosted by a pool of ever increasing high-risk drivers.

danmajor said:
thanks for the replies guys

yeah, i guess it depends on a lot of variables and nobody here can possibly know what MY insurance quote will be

nevertheless, i've been getting quotes all night, and here's what i found:

Allstate - $121/month
Esurance - $99/month
Farmers - $100/month
State Farm - $96/month
Progressive - $109/month
Amica - $99/month

Another company, http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com quoted me at just $69 a month, but they seem a bit sketchy. that $69/month premium just seems too good to be true, so I'll likely stay away

As of now, i think I'm gonna go with State Farm. they have the best combination of price and reputation (from what I've seen)

I have had some of the above, and I can say Allstate, are crooks, I had to arbitrate with them once. Some of the others are budget providers and may cancel you after an accident. They are all great until you place a claim and negotiate payout. I ended up going back to Auto Club because I found that they were the best in service and no-hassle ever. With prices this close I would get a well respected carrier.I ended up pooling all my policies with them for significant savings. Check the ratings of these companies and what you are actually getting. If you have assets don't scrimp on coverage or a quality carrier, even an accident that is not your fault can cost you quite a bit. Some budget company will want to pay you noting for a totaled RAV. If you were in the military try USAA.

I used to carry Allstate car insurance back in thr East Coast.
However, here in CA, they don't offer the diminishing deductible ( not sure about name of the exact program).
Anyway, that's why i dropped the car insurance and went with GEICO.
Our family have GEICO. They had made claims anc according to their experience, it was a Breeze.

So don't choose the cheapest one. ask around esp among people who made claims and are happy with the result.

Back