Vampire Power Drain?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith5885

http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/life-with-tesla-model-s-even-after-update-vampire-draw-remains/2013/11/25/ad47b38a-55f6-11e3-bdbf-097ab2a3dc2b_story.html

This seems untrue?

Do we suffer from this? Do we have the sleep mode that they turned off?

Mine doesn't. I unplug when it's done and when I go to leave, it's still got the same range when I take off... even after hours and hours.

keith5885 said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/life-with-tesla-model-s-even-after-update-vampire-draw-remains/2013/11/25/ad47b38a-55f6-11e3-bdbf-097ab2a3dc2b_story.html

This seems untrue?

Do we suffer from this? Do we have the sleep mode that they turned off?

We don't have significant vampire loads, however the flip side to that is that we don't have active battery temperature control.

If you're in a hot area and you want to keep your battery pack cool, you will need to either be actively charging or have the car left in READY mode. Yes, you can leave your key fob in the car and lock the doors with the mechanical key that is in the fob.

Leaving the car in READY will have a significant vampire load. Charging at 120 volts will draw a huge portion of that energy to battery temperature control (when the battery is hot or cold), again a huge vampire load.

There is no free lunch.

TonyWilliams said:
We don't have significant vampire loads, however the flip side to that is that we don't have active battery temperature control.

If you're in a hot area and you want to keep your battery pack cool, you will need to either be actively charging or have the car left in READY mode. Yes, you can leave your key fob in the car and lock the doors with the mechanical key that is in the fob.

Leaving the car in READY will have a significant vampire load. Charging at 120 volts will draw a huge portion of that energy to battery temperature control (when the battery is hot or cold), again a huge vampire load.

There is no free lunch.

Sorry but explain a little why we would want to keep the battery cool in a hot area please. Is it just overall health of the battery?

It sounds like in the article that the Tesla doesn't have active battery temperature control or so I read somewhere but was more about other electronics.

Tesla has always used active temperature control, both on the Roadster and Model S.

You want the lithium cells cool for longest life, and hot for the most energy stored and most power. Generally, this is compromised at 20-25C with temperature control.

In addition, if you're storing a lithium battery, in addition to the coolest temperature, I recommend 50% "State Of Chage" (SOC).

Yes, Tesla has active thermal battery control, but it appears that is not the cause of the "vampire" drain. This is from a recent article on the topic: "According to Tesla, there is no thermal management of the Model S battery when the car is turned off..." (source: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1088648_life-with-tesla-model-s-even-after-update-vampire-draw-remains).
The greencarreports.com article states that the parasitic vampire drain in Teslas is due to keeping electronics powered up. Hmmm.

If true, then the RAV4 and Tesla are more similar than we thought: active thermal battery management only when the cars are on.

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, the battery gets 0.5kWh of "pre-conditioning".

How did you figure that one out?

It does seem to help...It got really cold here over the weekend and I took it on a 30 minute trip. Going out with preclimate before I still saw a slight increase in the 5 minute efficiency ratings (but not much). Coming back I waited awhile (battery got cold) and I saw some big increases in the 5 minute efficiency ratings.

It would be really awesome to have more control on the preclimate to get the interior to 70 and the battery to 65...

Mike

tgreene said:
Yes, Tesla has active thermal battery control, but it appears that is not the cause of the "vampire" drain. This is from a recent article on the topic: "According to Tesla, there is no thermal management of the Model S battery when the car is turned off..." (source: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1088648_life-with-tesla-model-s-even-after-update-vampire-draw-remains).
The greencarreports.com article states that the parasitic vampire drain in Teslas is due to keeping electronics powered up. Hmmm.

If true, then the RAV4 and Tesla are more similar than we thought: active thermal battery management only when the cars are on.

Interesting. The Roadster was/is definitely "active" all the time, up to "bricking" the battery pack.

TonyWilliams said:
tgreene said:

Interesting. The Roadster was/is definitely "active" all the time, up to "bricking" the battery pack.
My Model S has active thermal battery management while it is OFF. However, the current SW release allows owner to program it to put the Model S in "sleep mode". In sleep mode, there is no thermal battery management.

Tony
You've got some great connections... Too bad Toyota isn't trying to make a real go at an ev. You could provide some great feedback to them.

Instead they seem to be have made a minimal effort and they slipped you a lemon to boot!

mikegerard said:
Tony
You've got some great connections... Too bad Toyota isn't trying to make a real go at an ev. You could provide some great feedback to them.

Instead they seem to be have made a minimal effort and they slipped you a lemon to boot!

There's a reason why it takes a year to fix things as simple as a 31st day software "bug" in the charge timer. Heck, I'm convinced neither Toyota nor Tesla even knew about it until reading it here. Both Tesla and Toyota have long since put the Rav4 EV on "yesterday's business" list and moved onto other things; Toyota with hydrogen and Tesla with Model X, Model E, et al.

So, we get back burner service. Don't worry, it will get worse!!!

Back