Mount iPad Mini on top of touchscreen

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rav4buyer

Trying to figure out a way to overlay an iPad Mini on top of the Rav touchscreen. The dimensions would fit perfectly on top, just need to figure out a way to lay it on without any damage to the touchscreen/dash. It would need to be removed obviously under certain circumstances. There are two vents right above which could potentially be used, just need to figure something out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rav4buyer said:
Trying to figure out a way to overlay an iPad Mini on top of the Rav touchscreen. The dimensions would fit perfectly on top, just need to figure out a way to lay it on without any damage to the touchscreen/dash. It would need to be removed obviously under certain circumstances. There are two vents right above which could potentially be used, just need to figure something out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Does the mini have square edges like an iphone or rounded? I sometimes plop my iphone in there and it will actually do a pretty good job of staying put as long as you don't go all crazy with sport mode too much. Perhaps the mini can do the same. A few removable tape squares would probably help secure it without causing any damage.

A quick and dirty "temporary" solution would be to use appropriately sized Velcro strips adhered to edges of the black bezel surrounding the touch screen on all sides. You would need 3 pieces of Velcro; two pieces at the bottom of each side, and one, extra thick piece centered at the top. The iPad mini's back overlaps about 3/8" over this black bezel of the touch screen; just enough to do the job to hold the mini in place securely. Fortunately, this mounting location would not block the RAV4's center console where the ventilation grille and louvers are located above the touch screen. In this way, there would be no obstructing Velcro strips physically on the touch screen and the mini would be easy to attach and remove as needed.

4EVEREV said:
Why would you do this?

Other navigation apps such as Waze has real time traffic info and can track police. I also want to listen to online streaming music services and podcasts. Can stream movies too via Netflix. Could potentially also do hands free texting via speech recognition but I wouldn't use that regularly. All can be used wirelessly via bluetooth. I can already do most of this with my phone but its a smaller screen mounted in a cupholder which is too low to be safe. The only thing I would really need on the regular touch screen is backup camera visibility.

rav4buyer said:
The only thing I would really need on the regular touch screen is backup camera visibility.
You could get an aftermarket rear-view camera with a bluetooth or wifi connection to your ipad to not only take care of that problem but improve upon the built in backup camera (which I think is terrible compared to the Leaf's.) You could really be on to something here!

Back