Extended Warranty?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground_gainer

So I've heard there are dealerships that sell extended warranties online at a rock bottom price (they make their money on volume). Considering the motor assembly costs 5 figures to fix (if you have the noise issue, which seems to get worse over time so it may only be a matter of time...), the heater is $2-3k, and the onboard charger is probably several thousand and all these issues seem at least decent common on these boards, I'm thinking an extended warranty looks like a decent "insurance" policy even if I had to spend $2k shipping the car to California for service and back.

Anyone have any thoughts and/or experiences on purchasing the extended warranty for this vehicle?

You can buy a factory Toyota one for about $1K roughly. I am not sure how you go about them paying for it when it comes time

I bought an extended warranty for exactly the same reasoning. I keep my cars for a while, but I will be selling my RAV4s the moment the extended warranty expires.

Additionally, I don't think an out-of-stater has ever been turned down for a warranty repair. Free maintenance and firmware upgrades, yes. I think Toyota will have a difficult time not doing warranty repair or recalls for out-of-state cars.

I bought mine from a dealership in Boston that had the best pricing.

I have a 3 year lease unlimited mileage and I typically drive 20K per year which means when I return the car I expect to have 60K miles and drive more than a year out of warranty. Extended warranty typically is very expensive but I came across a discussion at the Rav4 ICE forum where a dealer in KS sells extended warranty at a very reasonable price and he comes highly recommended. I contacted him and I can get a 36 month 80K miles platinum warranty through Toyota for $399 and it is valid at all Toyota dealers nationwide an yes it is for EV. There is no listing of what is not covered for electrical vehicle the closest they have is for what is not covered for Hybrid “Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery”
The Rav4 EV battery is already covered for 100K my question is do you believe it is worth it to get the extended warranty at this price?

mike4300 said:
There is no listing of what is not covered for electrical vehicle the closest they have is for what is not covered for Hybrid “Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery”

I noticed this also. They didn't revise the language for a full electric. I think they will have a hard time denying coverage for anything, but normal wear items including degradation of the traction battery.

mike4300 said:
I have a 3 year lease unlimited mileage and I typically drive 20K per year which means when I return the car I expect to have 60K miles and drive more than a year out of warranty. Extended warranty typically is very expensive but I came across a discussion at the Rav4 ICE forum where a dealer in KS sells extended warranty at a very reasonable price and he comes highly recommended. I contacted him and I can get a 36 month 80K miles platinum warranty through Toyota for $399 and it is valid at all Toyota dealers nationwide an yes it is for EV. There is no listing of what is not covered for electrical vehicle the closest they have is for what is not covered for Hybrid “Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery”
The Rav4 EV battery is already covered for 100K my question is do you believe it is worth it to get the extended warranty at this price?

Mike -
Can you share the dealer's name? This seems like a no brainer for us out of state owners....

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
The warranty is offered by Jerry Johnson Warranty Manager with Midwest Toyota And Midwest Superstore Hutchinson, Ks. He is highly recommended by the Rav4 ice forum.
Here is the email I got from him:
Thank you very much for contacting me and your request on the Toyota Factory Extra Care Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty
I would love to help you with your warranty purchase. I will need your Vin Number, Miles and Date of Purchase
And I will need Your Name and Address, Phone, Email
Please give me a call at 800-530-5789 or my cell 620-664-8844

This warranty is 100 Percent Toyota Factory warranty from Toyota and honored by all Toyota Dealer service centers including California, Florida and all the USA and Canada
I do NOT offer any 3rd party or aftermarket at all.
And please tell who ever recommended me THANK YOU

Here is the link for the warranty info

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_newVehicleComparisonChartPage

Here is the Price List for your 2013 Rav4 EV

T3-TOYOTA RAV4 EV,
3 YEAR 50,000 MILES $359.00
3 YEAR 80,000 MILES $399.00,

4 YEAR 65,000 $409.00 4 YEAR 100,000 MILES $529.00,
4 YEAR 125,000 MILES $659.00
5 YEAR 80,000 MILES $474.00, 5 YEAR 100,000 MILES $629.00
5 YEAR 125,000 MILES $799.00
6 YEAR 75,000 MILES $509.00, 6 YEAR 100,000 MILES $749.00
6 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,019.00
7 YEARS 75,000 MILES $594.00, 7 YEAR 100,000 MILES $889.00
7 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,169.00
8 YEAR 75,000 MILES $709.00 8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $1,039.00
8 YEAR 125,000 MILES $1,424.00

This warranty is directly from Toyota and any warranty work will need to be done at your Toyota dealer or any Toyota dealer in your state or any state in the USA or Canada
Please feel free to give me a call I would be happy to go over the warranty with you.
Thank you so much
Jerry Johnson

Jerry Johnson
Warranty Manager
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Ford
Midwest Superstore
1100 east 30th
Hutchinson, Ks 67502
800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
[email protected]
www.midwestsuperstore.com

That seems like a great deal given the costs of the heater repair.

Has anyone on this forum had a warranty repair on a Rav4 EV outside of California? I've seen a few posts of heater issues outside of CA but no one has posted back about their repair.

mikegerard said:
That seems like a great deal given the costs of the heater repair.

Has anyone on this forum had a warranty repair on a Rav4 EV outside of California? I've seen a few posts of heater issues outside of CA but no one has posted back about their repair.

No one has been denied a warranty repair out-of-state. Free maintenance and firmware upgrades, are a different story. Have your tires done and fluids filled wherever you want as that is the only maintenance required. When something breaks, bring it to your nearest Toyota dealer for repair. If they give you grief, call Toyota Customer Care.

Toyota is trying to use fear to keep all these cars in California for whatever reason. Their tactics are unseemly.

I have extended warranties on both of my RAVs and will sell the cars before they run out of warranty. I bought my Toyota warranties from cheap online sources.

Back