Trading the rav 4 ev

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trade not so good only 25k

Too hard to charge up car in rental situation. And it's my only car. So when I want to go on a long trip have to get a rental. At the dealer now

starlight said:
Trade not so good only 25k

Too hard to charge up car in rental situation. And it's my only car. So when I want to go on a long trip have to get a rental. At the dealer now
Given that you can lease a new one with unlimited miles for 15K out of pocket (CA rebate deducted), valuing the remainder vehicle at 10K isn't crazy. Despite the Toyota residual, what will someone pay for a used RAV4EV in 3 years? There will be version 2 EVs on the market then, and all the RAV lease returns.

However, people seem to be paying around 30 for them now.

srl99 said:
Despite the Toyota residual, what will someone pay for a used RAV4EV in 3 years? There will be version 2 EVs on the market then, and all the RAV lease returns.

Do you really think that there will be 'version 2' EVs on the market in January 2017? I have seen a number of such claims, but I don't understand where they will come from. I think of a 'version 2' EV as something that will have 50 - 100% more energy storage density than the current Li batteries like the ones in our RAV4. So a car having the battery with the mass of the current leaf battery will have a range of 130 - 170 miles. Batteries with that performance do not exist yet. This will likely require improving the anode, cathode, and basic chemistry itself (think Li S). Yes, people have demonstrated some promising performance in the lab, but real commercial batteries are still a few years away. Then vehicles (& charging / discharging algorithms) need to be designed for them.

I think that it will be at least early 2018 before EVs with 200+ range and rapid charging are available (on a dealer lot - not a waiting list) for under $50K total sticker price.

tgreene said:
srl99 said:
Despite the Toyota residual, what will someone pay for a used RAV4EV in 3 years? There will be version 2 EVs on the market then, and all the RAV lease returns.

Do you really think that there will be 'version 2' EVs on the market in January 2017? I have seen a number of such claims, but I don't understand where they will come from. I think of a 'version 2' EV as something that will have 50 - 100% more energy storage density than the current Li batteries like the ones in our RAV4. So a car having the battery with the mass of the current leaf battery will have a range of 130 - 170 miles. Batteries with that performance do not exist yet. This will likely require improving the anode, cathode, and basic chemistry itself (think Li S). Yes, people have demonstrated some promising performance in the lab, but real commercial batteries are still a few years away. Then vehicles (& charging / discharging algorithms) need to be designed for them.

I think that it will be at least early 2018 before EVs with 200+ range and rapid charging are available (on a dealer lot - not a waiting list) for under $50K total sticker price.
Your definition over Version 2 is probably different than most. Your definition is similar to what Elon Musk called a "step change" in battery performance. I consider Version 2 to be the next major model revision to the current vehicles - like Volt 2.0 or Tesla Model E. The characteristics of these vehicles may not be drastically different than those existing today, save some incremental improvements due to ongoing cost reductions. For example, a 2017 Leaf may have the choice of battery sizes where the current size has a lower cost than today, but a larger battery, say 40% larger usable capacity may have the same cost as today. That may yield an EPA range of 120 miles.

This is what I expect from "Version 2" vehicles.

Just bought our 2013 RAV 4 EV so worried people are already trading in theirs. Bright side for me was I wanted an electric SUV with enough space for dogs in the back and this was the only option. I was saving for the promised 2015 low priced Tesla SUV but when the dealer advertised $12K off the sticker for the RAV I decided the bird in the hand was worth two in the bush. More and more convinced I made the right choice. Only hope that it does not become the Edsel of the future.

Shame on my mobile device for that post. By version 2.0 I mean LEAF 2.0, i3.1, Volt2.0, hopefully Fit EV 2.0, with incremental improvements in range. Do any of these vehicles need more than an incremental increase in range to compete w the RAV?

I guess the GM "200 mile EV" has had the wind sucked out of its sails by the death of Envia.

My thinking about the actual value of a used RAV was started by a local dealer advertising one for about 30K. So, I calculated it's value to me. With all the 'Check EV System' and 'died on the road at speed' posts, the value of $25K is from my optimistic side. I'd lean towards the Toyota lease even with the potential for having to pay more for the residual vehicle at the end and let Toyota keep the risk that it won't be(come) a reliable vehicle. One FIAT in my life is enough.

oldman said:
Just bought our 2013 RAV 4 EV so worried people are already trading in theirs. Bright side for me was I wanted an electric SUV with enough space for dogs in the back and this was the only option. I was saving for the promised 2015 low priced Tesla SUV but when the dealer advertised $12K off the sticker for the RAV I decided the bird in the hand was worth two in the bush. More and more convinced I made the right choice. Only hope that it does not become the Edsel of the future.

I think you made a smart move. I basically did the same thing a few months back. I was waiting for the Tesla Model X to replace my Chevy Volt. But with the great lease (and buy) deals on the RAV4 EV, it just made sense to go "all electric" earlier than planned. Plus, the Model X was going to be double the price. Sure it's more luxurious and exclusive, and has more range, but is that worth it? Not to me was my answer.

Back