GPS Upgrade

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

Just upgraded the GPS on my 2012 from the 6/1/11 version to the 6/1/13 version.

1) Toyota distributes its software upgrade to dealers shortly after January 1st of each year. Although the upgrade is dated 6/1/13, my dealer just got it. When you get an upgrade installed, make sure that you get the latest version.

2) For your $169 (plus tax), Toyota (via Denso) gives you a card with a pass code. Thats it.

3) The upgrade requires your dealers service department to hook up its computer to your Toyota, and then you enter your VIN, the passcode, and information from the INFO:MAP DATA screen on the center console. The computer then gives you another 8 digit passcode.

4) Your dealer inserts a USB flash drive into the USB port on the center console, you enter the passcode, and you wait

5) After 10 minutes, you are instructed to restart the car, and then you wait another 46 minutes. All this time the USB drive is inserted and possibly the computer has to be attached (instructions weren't clear).

6) Thus after more than an hour, you are instructed to restart the car again, and Voila! the new map is installed.

7) Unfortunately, my dealer charges $105/hr for use of the computer, and therefore the total cost is $274 plus tax.

Has anyone else attempted a GPS Upgrade?

It seems that lots of people have looked at this post, but no one has replied :roll:

Am I the only one to have upgraded my GPS? :)

Admittedly, I did buy one of the first units to roll off the assembly line, haven gotten mine in Early October 2012, but there must be other 2012 owners out there that are ready for an upgrade.

Unfortunately, I saw little change from the older GPS version. A new freeway was added to Bakersfield in August 2013, and it isn't even shown as being under construction in the 6-1-13 data set. I can only hope that the listing of Starbucks and restaurants has been updated. ;)

Please leave comments to let Toyota know what you think of the new upgrade procedure (ie, how expensive it is)

BTW, when you go to upgrade, your dealer will only show the 2013-2014 model years for the RAV4 EV. Rest assured that the 2012's can use that upgrade.

I also bought my car in October 2012, but I really see no advantage in upgrading the map info.
Living in OC, everything seems the same, no new streets etc. But if you are a Starbucks fan, then you must upgrade, lol.

I have had navigation systems on my cars since the late 1990s. You are always dealing with data that is not current. Just imagine that an update slated for Jan 2014 probably was put together with information that was current to mid 2013, maybe. In established cities it is not an issue but in developing communities it can be a problem. Even in my 2006 Prius an upgrade was $300 and you really don't know what new stuff will be included. Also different years of the same model use different Navigation hardware. So often the update is specific to your system. It can be a real mess. Some folks buy off of eBay. You just need to know specifically what system you have to get a compatible disc. This is a problem that all the car companies are having. How do you keep the data and apps current. The new way seems to be tie back to smart phones which are upgraded often. That way you just need an interface in the vehicle. I feel your pain.
Manny

crxpilot said:
Why go thru all that hassle and expense? A phone/tablet with a map program will have the most up to date info if you really need it.
The only time I find that standalone or vehicle integrated GPS NAV is useful is when there is poor or no cellular signal. Also, when I travel in Canada, the roaming charges are outrageous, so my standalone Garmin unit with all North America data pre-loaded gets the job of navigating for the rental car. So, I don't really care that the RAV's data needs updating because I'll rarely need it due to the car's limited operating radius from my home. Even entering the destination takes way longer than on my iPhone, so that limits the number of times that I use it.

Back