ToyotaCare for out-of-CALIF owners

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eplantz

I know that out-of-state owners will not get free ToyotaCare service for 5000, 10000 mile checks, etc.

Does anyone know if I can expect support, via the in-car button, for towing, breakdowns, etc.

I'm considering an offer from AAA for roadside services but will use ToyotaCare if it will work for me.

eplantz said:
I know that out-of-state owners will not get free ToyotaCare service for 5000, 10000 mile checks, etc.

Does anyone know if I can expect support, via the in-car button, for towing, breakdowns, etc.

I'm considering an offer from AAA for roadside services but will use ToyotaCare if it will work for me.

The real problem is we know they want to be difficult as they can be for out-of-state. I would assume it won't work, without further info.

I bet it works, but you would get towed to the closest Toyota dealership. Not a RAV4 EV certified dealer. I think any car company would have a tough time denying a tow for their cars outside a particular state.

Has anyone received a tow out-of-state? I had the joy of a 5.5 hour traffic jam in a nasty snow storm Sunday night. Without running the heat, the car did fine. Had I run out of juice or slid into a ditch, I would have used the SOS button.

You can use the SOS Button anywhere in the US ( i have to double check with Alaska and Hawaii).
I live in California, but let say i drive to Vegas and suddenly needed help.
The tow will be to the nearest toyota dealer, even though it's not RAV4 EV certified, as long as they sell prius plug in, you' ll be fine.

I called toyotacare before and asked about this situation, the customer rep never asked me if im from California or out of state buyer.

I have received 2 Toyota care 5K services on my RAV4EV in WA. The first dealer did whine that Toyota corporate was not paying but did not pass the cost to me. The second dealer had no problems but I think they actually got EV certified.

As to SoS, I did try it one day when I was low on charge. It was quite humorous as they struggled to figure out what to do and in the end i just drove over to a nearby charger that I had located on foot. But the exercise was instructive, mostly for them. A note is that Toyota Emergency services subcontracts to AAA. Since then WA AAA has announced that they have a couple of emergency response trucks that can charge an EV.
This last part is important because if your drive Battery is dead, Toyota says you cannot be towed. Actually the book says no towing at all but it is hard to see how coasting in neutral is different than towing.

There is a humorous video out of Holland (in Dutch with English subtitles) about a man that has his Leaf towed behind another car and keeps it in what we would call "B" gear, thus recharging the Leaf's traction battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sujv90PLLY

Back