Tesla battery shows no sign of range loss after 20K miles

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geo

Interesting little article. This Tesla owner has 20K miles on his Model S and supercharges a lot. So far, no loss of range.

http://insideevs.com/video-this-tesla-model-s-shows-no-signs-of-range-loss-at-20500-miles/

I wonder if we'll have similar results with our Tesla batteries.

I talked with a Toyota engineer from the proving ground here and he was driving one of the RAV4 EV beta cars. He said they had noticed no loss of range either, and that's here in Phoenix. That's anecdotal, of course, but we haven't noticed any dropoff either, except for the week my wife was out of town and I drove with a lead foot. I freaked out, but then my wife came back and the range went back to "normal". I haven't noticed any dropoff in our Volt, either.

jspearman said:
I talked with a Toyota engineer from the proving ground here and he was driving one of the RAV4 EV beta cars. He said they had noticed no loss of range either, and that's here in Phoenix. That's anecdotal, of course, but we haven't noticed any dropoff either, except for the week my wife was out of town and I drove with a lead foot. I freaked out, but then my wife came back and the range went back to "normal". I haven't noticed any dropoff in our Volt, either.

Hmmmmm......my dashboard seems to turn red when my wive is out town too.......

geo said:
Interesting little article. This Tesla owner has 20K miles on his Model S and supercharges a lot. So far, no loss of range.

http://insideevs.com/video-this-tesla-model-s-shows-no-signs-of-range-loss-at-20500-miles/

I wonder if we'll have similar results with our Tesla batteries.

The thing with supercharging is that it only charges at the fast rate till 80%. That would be the reason it has not affected the batteries much.

Kohler Controller is running a long term test of these cells in a chamber. He has 4 test conditions and should hit 100,000 miles of simulated use in 3 weeks.....I'm really looking forward to seeing the results!

mikegerard said:
Kohler Controller is running a long term test of these cells in a chamber. He has 4 test conditions and should hit 100,000 miles of simulated use in 3 weeks.....I'm really looking forward to seeing the results!

They just tipped 90k miles. Unfortunately, I'm not going to have access to the battery cyclers next month. I'll see if I can reach 95k and then post the results to the forum.

As previously mentioned, after 20k miles, the cells I'm testing lost ~4-5%. However, at the 80k mile mark, they had only lost ~10% total.

I've put 22k of actual miles on my RAV4EV over the past year, so I will hit the 100k mile battery warranty well before the 8 year warranty. Even then it looks like I will still have more range than a new Leaf at the end of warranty.

I'll try to graph everything by early March.

mikegerard said:

If I remember correctly Kohler Controller is testing Panasonic cells that are very similar to the cells made by Panasonic for Tesla. My understanding is the Tesla cells have slightly different chemistry and possibly different electrolyte. It might not make a difference. I recently saw a video where a Canadian University had developed an new kind of test. I will see if I can the link.

Ampster said:
mikegerard said:

If I remember correctly Kohler Controller is testing Panasonic cells that are very similar to the cells made by Panasonic for Tesla. My understanding is the Tesla cells have slightly different chemistry and possibly different electrolyte. It might not make a difference. I recently saw a video where a Canadian University had developed an new kind of test. I will see if I can the link.

Our cells are different than Model S in miiliamps, and we know that Tesla removes all the safety stuff so that their own BMW can manage the thousands of cells.

Back