Commute Canoga Park to/from Palmdale...is it practical??

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

Hi all

I'm an EV owner trying to help a friend find out if any EV will work for her. The RAV 4 seems a possibility, and I need first hand-advice...don't want to steer her wrong.

Her daily commute is from Canoga Park (elevation 900) to Palmdale (elevation 2500), one way distance 60 miles. In between, the route climbs to about 3500 feet before descending.

She will be able to re-charge in Palmdale, and the trip home doesn't worry me. My worry is that she can't reliably make it to work in the morning. Important factors:

1. The climb
2. It's a high speed road, most traffic 70-75 and she doesn't want to crawl along
3. Winter temperatures will be a problem. There are frequent days in the 40's, occasionally freezing. I know the battery won't perform as well as normally, plus she will definitely want to use the heater in a normal manner.

Can anyone give guidance as to whether the RAV4 EV will do the job for her reliably?? I have recommended a Volt, but she has her heart set on a pure EV.

Thanks in advance

She should be able to do it. Tony's range chart (http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67) is very handy for this sort of thing:
Rav4rangeChartVersion1draft3.jpg

Subtracting 4kWh from the total battery capacity for the climb, she should still get 81 miles @ 75 mph from a standard charge, which has her arriving at work with 3 bars. Even at 80mph, she should get 72 miles of range and arrive with two bars.

I usually compensate for elevation by subtracting 7mi/1000ft up and adding 6mi/1000ft down. So, 900'->3500'->2500' should use up 12.2mi of extra range. 75mph on the range chart is 92 miles at standard charge. Subtracting 12 miles for the elevation changes gives 80 miles range. For 60 miles real distance, the 20 mile buffer should be sufficient for the weather and battery degradation over time. If the weather is particularly cold, you could always do an extended charge.

I would not hesitate to recommend the car if she is guaranteed to be able to charge at work. If there is any contention for charging stations then it could be a real hassle.

miimura said:
I would not hesitate to recommend the car if she is guaranteed to be able to charge at work. If there is any contention for charging stations then it could be a real hassle.
I'll second this. 60 miles should be no problem, but she'll need a guaranteed charging spot at work - as in just as reliable as your garage at home. And having 240v/40a would be a big plus too just in case a short-turnaround trip is needed. Making it there and back without a charge is possible with some hypermiling and an extended charge, but I wouldn't want to deal with that kind of stress on a daily basis. If there's any doubt at all about being able to charge at work the only option is a Tesla.

I guess the real question I"m asking is whether anyone who lives in LA has actually done that drive or something very similar? Somewhere in the San Fernando Valley to Palmdale or Lancaster?

She really wants to do this...currently spending close to $500/month on gas. But I don't want to leave her in the lurch.

There is at least one Southern California dealer who has one available as a rental. She could do that to be 100% sure and personally get a feel for it.

Oh that is PERFECT!!!

Based on what you said, I think I've found the dealer...Hamer. I'll contact them and try to work this out. Thank you so much for the info.

I rented one from Hamer Toyota a while back before I bought.

11041 Sepulveda Blvd, Mission Hills, CA 91345
(818) 365-9621

michael said:
Hi all

I'm an EV owner trying to help a friend find out if any EV will work for her. The RAV 4 seems a possibility, and I need first hand-advice...don't want to steer her wrong.

Her daily commute is from Canoga Park (elevation 900) to Palmdale (elevation 2500), one way distance 60 miles. In between, the route climbs to about 3500 feet before descending.

She will be able to re-charge in Palmdale, and the trip home doesn't worry me. My worry is that she can't reliably make it to work in the morning. Important factors:

1. The climb
2. It's a high speed road, most traffic 70-75 and she doesn't want to crawl along
3. Winter temperatures will be a problem. There are frequent days in the 40's, occasionally freezing. I know the battery won't perform as well as normally, plus she will definitely want to use the heater in a normal manner.

Can anyone give guidance as to whether the RAV4 EV will do the job for her reliably?? I have recommended a Volt, but she has her heart set on a pure EV.

Thanks in advance

Short answer. YES the RAV4 EV can do it. Previous posts showed some data to back it up.
But here's my question, does she really WANT an EV?

A regular car (ICE) with a good highway milage 39-40 highway can do the trick. There are a lot of them out there. And these cars will be less than $20,000.

You need to tell her, that if THIS will be her only car, then there's a lot of lifestyle changes that she needs to know. Trips to Las Vegas for example will take some planning and a stop or two to charge..and it's going to be a long wait to charge to 80%.

Another thing is, having an EVSE installed at home will cost planning, permits ( in some area), approval from management ( if you live in a condo or apt) and a minimum of $1,000 ( unit + labor fees).

Really good points. She is absolutely sold on an EV....loves quiet smooth operation, hates to be slave to oil companies. Yes, in her family still will be an ICE for trips beyond range of EV. She already has 220 outlet that I use when I charge up there, and installation of a fixed EVSE will be easy.

We will definitely rent one and give it a try!

I have a 62 mile, one way commute from 1500 feet elevation to 25 feet. I charge at work and easily do it on an 80% charge. 60 miles one way with charging at work with a 1600 foot elevation difference is not a problem.

I've already done this trip in my Rav.. and charged up there. An 80% charge was MORE then enough to get up there and charge on 208v 32 for like 2hrs ($2) and then come back all the way down hill to Sylmar.

Hell, the Leaf has made that trip!! :roll:

I say DOO ETT!!

EDIT: Where or near are you going in the valley to up there?

Because I've gone from Sylmar up the 14 to near Lancaster High School.. AVUSD.. 50.1 miles.. (it's not the miles... it's the CLIMB!) :shock:

Thanks for the reply. Trip is from Topanga and Sherman Way to Palmdale ave about 5 miles off the freeway

Yes I agree the climb is the worry, plus the possibility of cold weather.

I live in Palmdale and have made the trip from Palmdale to Burbank and back without charging twice. I drove at 60mph. My wife is a lead foot and drives from the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica to Palmdale with less than a full charge and makes it no problem. She drives between 75 and 80.

Here's another Highway 14 data point, perhaps this might help... went to the LA Air show at Fox Field in Lancaster today. Blue Angels rock!

Standard charge level showed 84 miles last night. Switched on extended charge, by the morning the range was at 107 miles.

Starting in Santa Clarita, drove 52 miles to Fox Field, got there with 60 miles of range left. Then, from Fox Field back to Santa Clarita, drove 55 miles (took one detour - weekly Sam's Club /Wal-Mart run). Got home with 15 miles of range left, low charge light came on about a mile from home.

Total miles = 107.

Climb to Fox Field was about 1000ft from Santa Clarita. Temperature ranged from 65F to 78F.

Typical freeway speed going up the 14 to Fox Field was 70-75mph. Coming down we seemed to be going 65-70mph most of the way (thanks to the airshow traffic).

Payload: Me, wife and kids, two folding chairs for the airshow, huge cooler for big-box purchases - probably about 550 pounds.

Dang! Fox Field is ALOT further then she needs to go! Thanks for sharing that info. I'm sure on a even fresh or new pack that levels out at 152 or so on a charge will have 0 issues.

I know it will because all of us have confirmed it! :lol:

Hi Jason

Thanks so much for helping the girls on Saturday. They are sold on the idea of the RAV.

Back