ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
n3ckf said:
TonyWilliams said:
No, it's not a different design than Tesla Model S. Your statement is wrong.

I think Tony's right here. I got a tour of the Tesla plant from a person who was there when the Rav4EVs were produced and they said its the same motor as the base model S. There is some internal component differences in the Model S motor for the high-end model S (this person said) but that's mainly associated with its ability to draw more current.

Take a look at them they look different.

4EVEREV said:
n3ckf said:
TonyWilliams said:
No, it's not a different design than Tesla Model S. Your statement is wrong.

I think Tony's right here. I got a tour of the Tesla plant from a person who was there when the Rav4EVs were produced and they said its the same motor as the base model S. There is some internal component differences in the Model S motor for the high-end model S (this person said) but that's mainly associated with its ability to draw more current.

Take a look at them they look different.
I can assure you that they are the same. The drive units in the Rav-4 EV, B-class EV, and Model S 40, 60, and 85kwh cars are all the same. The P85 has a little different inverter, and bigger CV joints/axles.

Today I had an inspection from 2 people from Toyota USA.
They heard the sound in my drive train, it's not as bad as they have heard before with other rav4ev's.
They will ask for a replacement with Tesla.
Meaning 2 days in the shop once approved

One of the persons was talking the first time we was driving a mule that was the model of the rav4ev.
I have seen pictures of a tundra converted to electric, but he has seen/driven a highlander that was converted,
with push buttons for forward/reverse etc.

Will update about my progress.

fromport said:
I have seen pictures of a tundra converted to electric, but he has seen/driven a highlander that was converted,
with push buttons for forward/reverse etc.

Will update about my progress.

Some of the original Rav4 EV prototypes are at the Tesla factory as security cars. Those push buttons are from the Roadster, as is the battery pack. (2200ma cells).

It also uses the Roadster charge port:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6171#p6171

null-16.jpg

This buzz is getting annoying. Once my car hits 60-65mph, any throttle (5%-75%) would just bring out a really nasty vibration, buzzing/whining noise. It is starting to drive me nuts. I know it isnt normal as the car didn't do it before. The dealer also had a tough time experiencing it because they can't go past highway speed in test drives. Anyone know what it is, did I lose a weight of some sort off the motor/driveshafts?

I don't get the clacking, just the buzzing, vibration and whining. I guess I will tell the dealer to drive it at 65mph and see it themselves

I'm pretty sure it's all the same thing. If you're getting any kind of noise at all you need the replacement. If your dealer doesn't recognize that take it to a different one.

my approach to this is: i have every warranty available from Toyota. If the dealer wont replace it (and mine wont so far, but the noise is still at the "yes its loud but its not any louder than a gas car would be" stage), then i'll keep driving it till it *needs* replacing. This might be when the transmission explodes or whatever happens when whatever is making the noise actually fails, but then, i have 100 mile towing through AAA. I'm never anywhere there isnt a Toyota dealer within 100 miles of my current position :)

You may want to try Toyota Palo Alto. They replaced my drivetrain without any drama. Not only are the noise and vibrations gone, the car has never been this smooth. I always thought is was just the RAV4.

Well, I'm now getting the whine. I can only hear it at lower speeds, but that may just be because wind noise drowns it out when going faster. I hope I just need a shim instead of a whole new drivetrain.

Is there anyone in the San Diego area who can be trusted to work on this? I'd hate to think I have to chase all the way up to the OC or to Carson. I let Toyota Carlsbad do the 5000 mile service, but that doesn't really consist of DOING anything except rotating the tires. I've had good experience taking my Priuses to Carlsbad for service, but our EVs are a different beast.

davewill said:
Well, I'm now getting the whine. I can only hear it at lower speeds, but that may just be because wind noise drowns it out when going faster. I hope I just need a shim instead of a whole new drivetrain.

Is there anyone in the San Diego area who can be trusted to work on this? I'd hate to think I have to chase all the way up to the OC or to Carson. I let Toyota Carlsbad do the 5000 mile service, but that doesn't really consist of DOING anything except rotating the tires. I've had good experience taking my Priuses to Carlsbad for service, but the out EVs are a different beast.

I had 2 people of Toyota USA take a test ride.
They both acknowledged the sound, and verbally said " we will plan a replacement by Tesla at our dealership"
I got a letter from the dealer that I would hear something oct 2nd latest.
Of course DCH toyota of Oxnard never replied , it's the third time I have to remind them of their own promises, and this time the answer was:

Hello, sir. I was just informed by our department director that he was informed by John Marz (Toyota rep), that your concern about the car does not qualify to have any repairs performed @ this time.

So without saying when it does qualify, this is a great example how Toyota/Tesla really don't care about this project.
I shouldn't have expected anything of course.
What I am going to do now, is put a recording device in the "engine" room and drive a relative steep hill up at 25 miles/h. Do the same with my 2nd Rav4ev which is silent, try and get a hold of some Toyota rep, send him the mp3's and ask him at what point they think I do "qualify" for replacement.
It's just postponing the inevitable. They know it, I know it.
But in the mean time it really takes away _my_ pleasure of driving this car.

yeah i think Toyota has gotten into a denial mode about this problem.

Now, in their defense, they may be pursuing something with Tesla in the background to solve the problem and dont want to authorize a bunch of repairs while that's happening.

But it is annoying.

On the upside, i watched the movie 'Gattica' again recently, and the cars in the movie make almost the same sound. :)

fooljoe said:
If you're getting any kind of noise at all you need the replacement. If your dealer doesn't recognize that take it to a different one.
I suppose I will ask at my next regular service. Seems the whine mostly from 30 to 60 mph.
LEAF was dead silent as far as gear noise. Is that how the good RAVs are doing?

Just got my motor noise fixed at 34,000 miles. The noise got progressively worse over 1,000's of miles, and I finally took it in when the noise was irritating me too much. It got to the point so I felt embarrassed that I'd give EVs a bad rap because of the noise. Anyway, the dealer said it needed fixing, then they wanted me to bring it back a second time to confirm something (maybe to get a recording?). I had to wait a couple of weeks for the parts.

All better now!

P.S., there was a bonus in that they changed a couple of coolants while they were at it. Now I might not need to change coolant before my lease is up.

Just got back from Carson where they checked my car and said the hum is within spec. Apparently Toyota is aware of the issue, and they said they're hoping for a proper fix soon (not holding my breathe). Another RAV4 EV was there in front of me for the same thing and they gave him the same answer. Definitely seems like Toyota doesn't want to do anything about this problem now.

:roll:

DevinL said:
Another RAV4 EV was there in front of me for the same thing and they gave him the same answer. Definitely seems like Toyota doesn't want to do anything about this problem now.
:roll:

Toyota or Tesla ?
I think it is the latter

4EVEREV said:
"In Spec" LOL.
Every automaker plays these games. VW would not address the oil consumption in my Passat V6 when it was new because it was "In Spec". Their spec says that it must consume more than 1qt in 1,000 miles. When it was new, my car consumed a quart of engine oil in about 2,500 miles. At 90,000 miles, the oil consumption killed the first catalytic converter (the car has 3). The emissions warranty was 80,000 miles. Their calculation was just about right - if the consumption was higher, they would have been on the hook for the cat replacement during the warranty period.

Back