Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another gateway computer failure.

This is the singular part that is unique on the Tesla conversions (Toyota RAV4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED).

Since it is a Tesla part, I'd like to hope that EVENTUALLY they might get this figured out. If it was from Toyota, I doubt they would do anything except "remove and replace", over and over if necessary.

But, this car is now 27 months from launch (and three months after termination), so it seems that nobody is minding the store.

Dsinned said:
toyo33 said:
I just expereinced the "Check EV System" warning on my 1 month old RAV EV while driving on the freeway. Almost caused an accident on the 405 (LA freeway) but luckily avoided it. It was pretty scarry having your car all of a sudden lose power but I was able to stop the vehicle in the middle of the freeway and turn it back on and get power back to the accelerator. I was right by Carson Toyota where I purchased the vehicle and dropped it off and they gave me a Sienna loaner. My vin is 3500 so I thought they would have fixed this issue on the later models but I guess not.

By the way thank you to everyone on this forum. You guys helped me decide to pull the trigger on this vehicle. Its been a great car for 1300 miles until this issue.

Cheers
Sorry to hear this. I guess we are ALL on our own from here on out since Toyota has terminated production. It is very disappointing that in all this time Toyota never issued a "safety" recall to properly address this reoccurring problem. Since "toyo33" with a very recent VIN of #3500 just experienced this problem, like a ticking time bomb, I suspect it may still occur to any (or ALL) of us again. Although a total electrical failure happening while driving on the FREEWAY may be rare, it is horribly scary all the same! :eek:
As I'll reiterate again, anyone who experiences a sudden loss of power while in motion (or any other legitimate safety defect) not due to user error (e.g. running out of charge/fuel, shifting to a non-driving "gear" position, etc.) should file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at http://www.safercar.gov/, once the issue has been remedied, where applicable. This applies for any vehicle that's under 10 years old.

I get the "Check EV System" message every time I let the car sit for a few days, like when I have to go out of town for work.

The first time I got it, I panicked and called the dealer. I was ready to have the car towed, when I went back in the car and turned it on and it was fine.

As I'll reiterate again, anyone who experiences a sudden loss of power while in motion (or any other legitimate safety defect) not due to user error (e.g. running out of charge/fuel, shifting to a non-driving "gear" position, etc.) should file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at http://www.safercar.gov/, once the issue has been remedied, where applicable. This applies for any vehicle that's under 10 years old.

I just went to the NHTSA website and submitted a complaint for my gateway ECM failure while in motion. There were no existing complaints for the "2012 Toyota Rav4 EV", but they did seem to have a prior entry for 2014. I agree that everyone who has experienced a loss of power while driving needs to visit the http://www.safercar.gov site and fill out the complaint form. It only takes about 5 minutes.

I was told by the dealer that my issue was from a speed sensor failure in my drive unit. Is that the same problem as the ECM issue others have posted about? They are going to replace the whole drive unit but said it would take weeks to get the part from Tesla.

After turning car on, it showes the message that EV check fails and car has to be taken to Dealership for EV check immediately.
Literal wording:

"Check EV System

Have Your Vehicle
Checked by a
Dealership
Immediately"

- Did anybody have such experience?
- Can I drive a car (at least to dealership) or this is too dangerous?
- What's dealership with best EV experts in South Bay area?

Car has only ~2200 miles on it.

Which is the best dealership in Bay Area to deal with RAV4 EV problems?
When I called Sunnyvale Toyota this morning they told me that if I bring car in, they will be investigating 3-4 hours before deciding whether even give me loaner or not.
So I have to spend 1/2 day there.
Is that a common practice?

Add another one to the list. As I was getting into the car to take it to my scheduled 10k maint. on Saturday I was greeted with the same error. I was able to drive it to the dealer fine and once I arrived and shut the car off the error was gone. Fortunately I snapped a picture of the screen on the way over and didn't have to argue with the service rep at Stevens Creek Toyota. I have been without for a few days so far and they gave me a Camry loaner for now. I've had to call them to get updates and all I've received so far is "We are at Tesla's mercy on this and all we can do is relay error messages over to them and wait for them to remote in."

I haven't pointed out the forum to them yet because I'm sure they don't want to be told what could be the fix by someone reading on the internet. Until they figure it out I'll drive around in their Camry for now. So far the car pool lane hasn't been a big deal since a lot of the bay area seems to be taking time off for the new years and traffic hasn't been so bad. If I get to the weekend and they still have no clues, maybe I'll point them to this page.

itsmebubba said:
I haven't pointed out the forum to them yet because I'm sure they don't want to be told what could be the fix by someone reading on the internet.

It's almost comical that we are over two years into Rav4 EV's being out on the road, and they treat these common faults like it was the first time ever that they saw this.

Whenever Tesla finally decides to do nothing, or send over yet another gateway computer, there's not much you can do.

Check EV warning came on for me again. Think it was the same problem as last year due to the cold weather as the Check EV light went away later in the afternoon when the weather was warmer. This time I noticed that when turning on the vehicle, the battery guess-o-meter read LO then quickly went back up to the normal reading.

Last time they had my car, it took them 29 days to "fix it". Looks like the problem still lingers.

Wondering if it's viable to file a buyback/lemon claim (my last day will be Jan 7). Enjoying the car and would love to buy it at lease end, but not if this issue keeps coming back.

I took the RAV4EV to the dealer for it's 10k service. Told them about the Check EV System light that comes on when I leave the car for a couple of days.

They said the car is throwing an "ECU Communication Failure" code. They gave me a rental and sent me on my way. It will be interesting to see when I get it back.

Braxus said:
Check EV warning came on for me again. Think it was the same problem as last year due to the cold weather as the Check EV light went away later in the afternoon when the weather was warmer. This time I noticed that when turning on the vehicle, the battery guess-o-meter read LO then quickly went back up to the normal reading.

Last time they had my car, it took them 29 days to "fix it". Looks like the problem still lingers.

Wondering if it's viable to file a buyback/lemon claim (my last day will be Jan 7). Enjoying the car and would love to buy it at lease end, but not if this issue keeps coming back.
If you meet the criteria, you should be able to. Is that what you really want?

jscgvnc said:
I took the RAV4EV to the dealer for it's 10k service. Told them about the Check EV System light that comes on when I leave the car for a couple of days.

They said the car is throwing an "ECU Communication Failure" code. They gave me a rental and sent me on my way. It will be interesting to see when I get it back.

I finally spoke to them this afternoon and they said they are replacing the ECU, should be ready tomorrow. I don't know if this is good or bad or what.

jscgvnc said:
jscgvnc said:

I finally spoke to them this afternoon and they said they are replacing the ECU, should be ready tomorrow. I don't know if this is good or bad or what.
Please let us know the part # and all the work they did.

cwerdna said:
Please let us know the part # and all the work they did.

Ok, I got the car back. However, the next day when my wife drove it, there was no heat. It would blow air, but it was cold air. I checked it; sure enough, the heat doesn't work. Interestingly, the GOM doesn't know that the heat doesn't work. When you call for heat, it still reduces your range, even though(I'm assuming) the element isn't heating.

Taking it back on Tuesday.

As far as the ECU goes, here is what they wrote on my sheet:

CONNECTED TECHSTREAM U1146, COMMUNICATION LOST
CONTACTED TAS CASE #150060482, AS PER TAS REPL GATEWAY ECU
AND VERIFY NEWEST VERSION AFTER INTALL(509) REPLACED EV
GATEWAY CONTROL MODULE AND PERFORMED SYSTEM FIRMWARE UPDATE.
(1.3.83) ERASED DTCS. NO FURTHER ISSUES AT THIS TIME.

and on the next sheet:

51-1 GATEWAY ECU
PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION
SPO 89881-0R011 COMPUTER, GATEWAY EV

There is a bunch of other stuff, but I think that is the relative bit.

P.S. Just FYI: I'm not a car guy. I'm an electrical guy, so I can speak a bit to that, but I know almost nothing about cars except how to drive.

Mine is at Auburn with a charging malfunction. They don't know what the problem is yet.
Just curious if you were there also.

kiwiguy said:
Mine is at Auburn with a charging malfunction. They don't know what the problem is yet.
Just curious if you were there also.

I think it's just coincidence that I didn't buy mine at Toyota Auburn. When I called them, they didn't have one right at that second.

Back