ALL POSTS - Heater Failed - Service Bulletin TSB 0111-14

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange! is this a case of Using it or Loosing it?

I've been running the heater on a daily basis and I know of 2 other owners here in New Jersey that are also heating their cabins daily without any issues.
(BTW I just knocked on wood after writing this)

Airton

There's a relatively high failure rate on the heaters. However, since the vast majority of the cars are in CA, some people don't notice that it doesn't work. Even when it does work, it's trying to be efficient, so you have to set it like you mean it in order to really feel warm air coming out. I mostly drive short distances, so these days (55F and raining) I just leave it set at 70F ECO LO A/C OFF and turn the A/C on as necessary when the windows start fogging. Very comfortable.

Just on the off chance that this is the problem, in my experience your heater will not come on if the A/C is on. That's counter-intuitive, but you have to press the A/C button to turn it off and then raise the temperature higher than the external temperature for the heated vents to come on. If you're in Auto mode and in Eco Lo/High, only the seat heaters will come on (assuming you can get the system to believe it's cold in the cabin).

The manual really wants you to use the heated seats instead of the vented heat. I couldn't find a single page that explained how to get heat coming through the vents.

Blastphemy said:
Just on the off chance that this is the problem, in my experience your heater will not come on if the A/C is on. That's counter-intuitive, but you have to press the A/C button to turn it off and then raise the temperature higher than the external temperature for the heated vents to come on. If you're in Auto mode and in Eco Lo/High, only the seat heaters will come on (assuming you can get the system to believe it's cold in the cabin).

The manual really wants you to use the heated seats instead of the vented heat. I couldn't find a single page that explained how to get heat coming through the vents.
The heat does work with the A/C on, but it requires more heat input from the electric resistance heater to heat the air after it was cooled by the A/C evaporator. The A/C is sometimes necessary to reduce the humidity to prevent the windows from fogging. If you want to feel the heat coming out, manually override to "Vent" mode (the icon has the arrow pointed at the head) and increase the temperature.

I have somewhat of the opposite problem. I usually travel with the climate system "OFF", except in the Bakersfield summer (when it is 100+ outside) and then I set it to "ECO HIGH". I find, however, that I will often feel a cool breeze in the summer or warm air in the winter and discover that the climate system has turned itself on by itself. In the winter this also include the seat heaters. After I have lost a lot of battery power (I am slow in realizing that I feel more comfortable than I should), I have to turn the system off again. It doesn't get that cold in Bakersfield (low 50's) but the heat still turn on. The good news is that the heater works.

Is there some setting that I am missing?

Michael Bornstein said:
I have somewhat of the opposite problem. I usually travel with the climate system "OFF", except in the Bakersfield summer (when it is 100+ outside) and then I set it to "ECO HIGH". I find, however, that I will often feel a cool breeze in the summer or warm air in the winter and discover that the climate system has turned itself on by itself. In the winter this also include the seat heaters. After I have lost a lot of battery power (I am slow in realizing that I feel more comfortable than I should), I have to turn the system off again. It doesn't get that cold in Bakersfield (low 50's) but the heat still turn on. The good news is that the heater works.

Is there some setting that I am missing?

"AUTO" setting does some weird things. I just set it to the temp I like and adjust the fan accordingly. Old School...

I just picked up my RAV4 back from Toyota of Fremont Service. They have a heater and DC/DC inverter on order and have been telling me that it should be in "next week some time" but don't really have a date yet.

Let's see what "next week" really translate in to.

Charles

kalkocz said:
I just picked up my RAV4 back from Toyota of Fremont Service. They have a heater and DC/DC inverter on order and have been telling me that it should be in "next week some time" but don't really have a date yet.

Let's see what "next week" really translate in to.

Charles

The tech should know what's going on as Fremont Toyota replaced the same parts on my EV last year

I realize this thread is old, but I've just had the same experience. Heater dead.

Dealer says it will be at least three weeks before the part is in. They gave me a rental. It's all warranty stuff, but 3-4 with a rental kinda sucks.

shade said:
It is hard not to have your EV. The dealer told me same amount of time, but it came sooner. Good luck.

When I was managing a cellular service dept I had an installer that would always tell the customer 15 minutes. After a few 15 minutes the customer was really pissed! It is always better to overestimate the time. Then when it is ready faster you are golden.

Finally after a couple more delays, they got the parts in and made the repair. Everything is great as the heater works. I caught a look at the invoice and I think the repair was close to 5large? That is a lot of money to keep warm. They gave me a loaner for free this last time which was really great. I wish they would do that all the time similar to Lexus.
Manny

cossie1600 said:
I have spent more money on rental cars at Toyota than buying parts for the car

If Toyota ever gives me an ICE rental during EV extended service, I think I'll park it right outside the service dept., lock it up and leave it there for them to look at the entire time my EV is in service. Then I'll call my wife to come pick me up and drive the Prius until the EV is ready. I wan't to be sure Toyota pays for the rental, but I'm not gonna pay for gas to drive it. I wonder if it's okay to leave it on their lot for extended period. I'll probably need to park it on the street.

I got a RAV4 EV as a loaner when my heater blew up. I don't think they will have it ready when they replace the motor

My Heater went out a few weeks ago and I decided to wait to take it in until I needed by 15k service. To my surprise, my dealer (Longo) had the parts in stock and fixed the car the same day The knew of the problem and said there was a TSB out for the heater

How nice. I had to wait about 2 to 3 weeks for the parts to come in back in Dec 2014. So I am glad to hear they are paying attention. Nice to have a heater even in Southern California.
Manny

Does the service department ever check other dealers for parts, or just order from Tesla, et. al. if they don't have it in stock? Seems like there are parts around at times, if only the looked. Maybe the other dealers don't want to sell their stock and get caught without.

amgdad said:
My Heater went out a few weeks ago and I decided to wait to take it in until I needed by 15k service. To my surprise, my dealer (Longo) had the parts in stock and fixed the car the same day The knew of the problem and said there was a TSB out for the heater

If there really was a TSB that would mean everyone could bring in their car before it breaks down for a probably newer model heater.

Back