Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fromport said:
Codes they found were:
P312F
B15C2
U01246
U1146
Anyone have any idea what these codes mean ?

P312F electric propulsion control module requested MIL illumination
B15C2 is "Speed Sensor Malfunction"
U1146 Lost communications with EP systems gateway
only the U01246 i can not find

fromport said:
fromport said:
Codes they found were:
P312F
B15C2
U01246
U1146
Anyone have any idea what these codes mean ?

P312F electric propulsion control module requested MIL illumination
B15C2 is "Speed Sensor Malfunction"
U1146 Lost communications with EP systems gateway
only the U01246 i can not find
Sounds like the exact symptoms they're trying to address with the recall.

miimura said:
Sounds like the exact symptoms they're trying to address with the recall.

Toyota will start exchanging my drive train tomorrow.
Will update when ready (they communicated that they will need up to a week)

Add me the list. Check EV showed up last night, fortunately while starting the car and not in motion. Car would noT go into drive. Rebooted 4x and drove 30 miles wo issue

Add me to the list. Same thing happened last Thursday. Very briefly noted the "low 12 V voltage" on the console display. Then the Check EV message came on and would not go to drive. Re-cycled and the forth time, it came up and went into drive but kept the Check EV message. Drove several miles and shut down. An hour later, started normal and has not reappeared.

Phatcat73 said:
Add me the list. Check EV showed up last night, fortunately while starting the car and not in motion. Car would noT go into drive. Rebooted 4x and drove 30 miles wo issue
Please go to a toyota certified EV dealer and let hem read the error.
The more report it, the more evidence is that toyota has to do something , and fast !
And please post the error codes they find here on the forum.

SeattleRav4 said:
Add me to the list. Same thing happened last Thursday. Very briefly noted the "low 12 V voltage" on the console display. Then the Check EV message came on and would not go to drive. Re-cycled and the forth time, it came up and went into drive but kept the Check EV message. Drove several miles and shut down. An hour later, started normal and has not reappeared.

Please go to a toyota certified EV dealer and let hem read the error.
The more report it, the more evidence is that toyota has to do something , and fast !
And please post the error codes they find here on the forum.

Also have them check the 12Volt battery with a load unit.
You might get a new 12 volt battery if the car is younger than 3 years and 30.000 miles

TonyWilliams said:
I got a new 12 volt battery (free) at 51,000 miles.

that is nice ! ;-)

I would assume it would be only warranty under the first 3 years/30k miles , mea culpa

Getting to a Toyota certified EV service dealer is a bit more challenging here (WA) but I guess I have to try because I got the Check EV error again on Saturday. It happened on start-up and was quickly reset. I will attempt to get it checked as soon as practical.
It is not funny that it started happening after my drive unit replacement.

I also had a Check EV error pop up on me last Thursday (my 5th occurrence during the entire 50k miles I've had the car). Does it seem odd that so many have happened so close together (5? in one week)?

The only so-called "fix" for this is to have your Tesla Gateway ECM replaced under warranty. I had mine replaced about a year ago, but I'm not sure if it really fixed the problem. However, I have had no reoccurrence of this problem. Since then, I did have one other complete electrical failure when my 12V battery failed to recharge properly while driving the car, which resulted in towing it to the dealer to have it replaced. But, I still do not know what either of these problems were caused by and neither does Toyota.

Fingers still crossed . . .

Yesterday was the second time I had this warning along with the ABS warning and an Rav that would not move. It's at the dealer now and they tell me I need to have the drive train/motor replaced.

Well, I just had my first Check EV system message at 21,000 miles.

I just sat down at 4pm for another drive home from work and as soon as I turned the car on the Check EV system message was waiting for me and I briefly saw a "very low battery" message flash on the touchscreen, but it quickly went away and the car realized it still had 80+ mile range. (Maybe an issue with my 12V battery that drove this?)

After 5 restarts I cleared the Check EV message and had no problems driving home. Hopefully it will start up tomorrow. I'll take it to the dealer soon but I already know they can't do anything (as they always tell me when I bring it to the Colorado Springs dealer). Still, I need to get the error codes read and get a case opened with corporate so Kevin Spillane can get engaged.

What's taking so long on this recall anyway? Ah well...

Our 2014 RAV4 EV just came up with the Check EV warning light. It's almost a year old now and it has about 17K on it. My wife was starting it up to leave our daughters' elementary school and the Check EV light came on. We're taking it to Santa Maria Toyota as SLO Toyota didn't want to provide a loaner vehicle. She was able to drive the RAV4 after 4 restarts.

Hopefully they can resolve the problem in a timely manner.

I'm afraid nobody can count on a timely resolution to this problem from Toyota. This thread is proof of just how long this problem has gone unresolved. The resolution, if ever one may eventually come to be, will most likely be within TESLA, not Toyota, and therein lies the real problem.

Back with my DTC codes:
U1146 (under the "EV" heading)
U0293 (under the "ABS/VSC/TRAC" heading)
U0146 (under "air conditioner")
B1585 (under "navigation")

I've seen 1146 on this thread a lot, any idea about the others?

Dealer was unsure what to do but I had them open a case with corporate and then I called Kevin and left a message with my case number/call back. Hopefully I hear back tomorrow.

Sounds like they are ordering me a new Gateway ECU and doing a firmware update (I had .79). They said it will take a couple of weeks.

ground_gainer said:
Sounds like they are ordering me a new Gateway ECU and doing a firmware update (I had .79). They said it will take a couple of weeks.
Typical response to an ongoing problem that nobody - neither Toyota or Tesla - has been able to troubleshoot completely in order to pinpoint the exact cause of this undeniably reoccurring failure mode. As I recall Tesla Gateway ECU modules for the RAV4 EV, costs around $3000 each. I'm guessing, but probably several hundred have been replaced under warranty by now. You'd think there would be more interest in solving/preventing the actual "cause of failure" as opposed to replacing such an expensive item on the car. :roll:

This afternoon I finally got a response from Santa Maria Toyota (after 2 days of no info). After being asked if the Check EV light came on while the vehicle was hooked to a 12V charger (which the vehicle was not), they stated that it was likely the Gateway ECU and they were ordering a replacement. The service advisor indicated that the parts person confirmed that the Gateway ECU would be arriving on Saturday 6/13 after I mentioned that TESLA had been slow to send out replacement Gateway ECU's.

I am highly skeptical that the Gateway ECU will arrive tomorrow, but if it does great. It sounds like I need to have them confirm that the firmware in the ECU is the latest as well. Does anyone have the latest version number? I haven't gotten any codes yet either.

Back