Low Speed Steering sound

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacarbuff

Hello all! We just got our #2389 last Saturday and have already put almost 300 miles on it. We love driving this thing, and we haven't paid for charging yet! (free charging at work and 1mi from our house)

I have no complaints so far, but when it comes to cars, my wife says I tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac. Plus, the fact that I have zero experience with EVs doesn't help. Anyway, as I was pulling into work this morning and maneuvering into the EV charge spot, I started hearing some groaning/popping from the steering. I could definitely hear the steering wheel whir (I don't know if it's a pot or something more sophisticated), but the groaning/popping sounded like it was coming from what I would diagnose as the steering rack on my truck.

Is this a normal sound? Has anyone else heard this or heard of it? Should I leave it and hope it goes away or take it in to be checked out under warranty? I went through most of the pages on the forum, and couldn't find anything about this, so I hope this isn't a repost.

Thanks for the help!

Back