EVSE's that won't work on the Rav4

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Could this be why some EVSE's won't work on the Rav4?

http://modularevpower.com/J1772_2012.htm

"November 22, 2012

In October 2012 a new release of SAE J1772 was published. In a quick review there were no big changes for Level1 and Level 2 charging, see the bottom of this page for those notes.

Suddenly in mid-November something has changed and many new chargers don’t work with cars and adapters that worked before. When the first one appeared we thought it was probably a failure, then more problems started to appear. It took a carful full read to find them in the text of the new version of SAE J1772.

The first one is a recommendation to require every state for the pilot signal happen in sequence. The timing requirements in the standard do not require this but it is a recommendation of good practice from Appendix E, table E1 notes..
"

I wonder why the revised standard "recommends" a limit of 32A for EVSE L2 "HOME" chargers? Extra safety maybe? The only reason I can think of is that in most cases the AC service panel to most homes probably does not allow additional branch circuits rated over 32A, ie. the circuit breaker that can used both in size and rating should not exceed 40A in most residential applications. A 50A breaker can only be used for a "dedicated" branch circuit with no plug-in outlets such as an electric range / oven. Just speculating . . .

It would be great if we could make a list of EVSEs that do not work.
That said, it might be easier to start with just having people report which ones work. I have now tested the Levition 40a and it works (no surprise) and I successfully used a Blink Level 2 station.

Back