Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Update the NAVI with European maps
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:54 pm 

I live in Norway, bought a used 2013 RAV4EV two months ago. It now has 29k km. On two months I have added 9k km. Only a couple of minor issues, all fixed. What is not fixed is that a want Nowegian map on NAVI? Does anyone know if that is possible at all?
Paul

Post subject: Re: Update the NAVI with European maps
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:24 pm 

Maybe.

It might use the same navigation as a 2012 Lexus brand vehicle with that same sized monitor.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:27 pm 

Hi Paul,

I am from Austria an wait vor my 2012 RAV4ev (should be in europe in august) .
I am also interest in updating the navigation system. Did you find a solution?

Clemens

Peugeot ion 2013
Fiat 500e 2014
KEBA 32A wallbox
5kw Solar Panel PV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:55 pm 

Hi!
Checked out with one Toyota dealer, but didn't get any help. I will continue search for a solution. The dealer told me to buy a Garmin GPS... To I am sure there is no way for updating, I'll let the Garmin wait..
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:55 pm 

Who is fixing your RAV4ev's minor issues in Europe? I am moving to Madrid next year and need to decide what to do with mine. I won't have more than 18k mi by then and I'm really worried I will have trouble and not have anywhere to go. Navi is the least of my worries. I'm way more concerned I'll have a gateway, motor issue, or charger failure. Then there's the big unknown of charging infrastructure. My brief internet research shows Spain has some chargers but very few fast chargers. Although it looks like Endesa has plans to expand. What charging station app works best in Europe?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:13 pm 

My local Toyota dealer took the small things. I really share the problems connected to what you writing. If they show up - I don't think there any else to do than trust Toyota where you are living.. Maybe Mercedes if they are trained om B class ed?
About fast charging in Europe, I know little about outside Norway. Here is ChaDemo and CSS common, as also standard 230V 16A. Not fast.. Now there is also comming up Mode 3, 30A and that is not so bad.
Good luck in Spain!
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:26 pm 
Site Moderator

JDP wrote:
Who is fixing your RAV4ev's minor issues in Europe? I am moving to Madrid next year and need to decide what to do with mine. I won't have more than 18k mi by then and I'm really worried I will have trouble and not have anywhere to go. Navi is the least of my worries. I'm way more concerned I'll have a gateway, motor issue, or charger failure. Then there's the big unknown of charging infrastructure. My brief internet research shows Spain has some chargers but very few fast chargers. Although it looks like Endesa has plans to expand. What charging station app works best in Europe?

I assume you own it so I would sell it. No way would I want to deal with RAV issues in Europe. Personally I think it's insane to take one to Europe as one issue could leave you with a 4000 LB paper weight. Feel free to convert to Kilos.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:17 am 

I haven't finished the lease yet, but I still have several options. And because I'll be moving back to the states in a few years I want to keep it as long as possible because this car is so good. Any other EV won't do what this one can do as long as it doesn't break. It's just too good to give up without a fight and with the price of gas in Europe, it may just be worth the risk.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:29 pm 

JDP wrote:
I haven't finished the lease yet, but I still have several options. And because I'll be moving back to the states in a few years I want to keep it as long as possible because this car is so good. Any other EV won't do what this one can do as long as it doesn't break. It's just too good to give up without a fight and with the price of gas in Europe, it may just be worth the risk.

Given this scenario, I'd take the RAV4 for the adventure.

Are you planning to install JdeMO to the car (Europe has more CHAdeMO stations than the US)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:59 am 

Thanks, Tony. I was hoping you would weigh in considering you know the car as well as anyone.

I am signed up for the first round of Chademo. I think I'm last or almost last on your list for install because I waited so long to buy the car last year. But I'm not planning to use it much right away so I can wait. As for Spain, it's hard to get info for public stations. They seem to be the California of Europe with DCFC based on what I have pieced together thanks to Google translate. The best site I've found so far is chargemap.com. Very similar to plugshare and they have a news section too. It is hard to tell which Chademos are operational and I don't know if the Nissan dealerships there would welcome a Toyota. Also, from the way I interpret some of the info the DCFC stations seems to have a lower power there (~22kW), similar to the 3.7kW Level 2 Shuko plugs. There appears to be a serious and consistent effort to improve infrastructure there from my research that I hope will continue.

Thanks all for replies/thoughts and I'll ask about the Euro Navi on my 10k service in September. -JD