Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS about Charge Timer Failure
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:00 pm 

Are you sure it was pulling power the entire time? Pulling power around the set departure time is normal behavior. Even if pre-climate is not selected, the RAV turns itself back on just before the set departure time and draws a small amount of power to do a final top-off and run thermal management on the battery to prepare for departure (see "Pre-driving warm up", page 43 in the manual). Ours tends to fully disengage from the EVSE around 10 minutes after the departure time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 pm 

eschatfische wrote:
Are you sure it was pulling power the entire time?

You are right, it wasn't
It started at 6:30 and ended at 6:50.
I checked with my power usage graphic

Quote:
Pulling power around the set departure time is normal behavior. Even if pre-climate is not selected, the RAV turns itself back on just before the set departure time and draws a small amount of power to do a final top-off and run thermal management on the battery to prepare for departure (see "Pre-driving warm up", page 43 in the manual). Ours tends to fully disengage from the EVSE around 10 minutes after the departure time.

So pure coincedence that I spotted it.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS about Charge Timer Failure- continued charging
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:19 am 

fromport wrote:
This is how it charged in real life:

3/12 start 9:47pm 40 miles range left.
3/13 stop 2:12am

3/14 start 2:13am > 50% in battery
3/14 stop 4:52am

3/15 start 2:56am > 50% in battery
3/15 stop 5:09am
As you're probably already aware, the simplest way around the car's timer nonsense is to use RavCharge. ;) You can choose to start the charge whenever you want, and also use the new early charge protection (ECP) feature to make sure the car doesn't start your charge before you want it to.
Quote:
When I walked into the garage this morning at 7am,
I saw on my display it was still pulling 3amps from the wall
This low-power event always happens from 20 minutes before your chosen departure time to 7 minutes after. I generally try to avoid it by setting the car's departure time to much later than I actually leave (letting RavCharge start my charge) and unplugging before it has a chance to kick in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:36 pm 

Quote:
You can choose to start the charge whenever you want, and also use the new early charge protection (ECP) feature to make sure the car doesn't start your charge before you want it to.
Is RAVCharge now able to actually stop a charge remotely? That'd be a very useful thing, and I didn't think that could be done.
Quote:
I generally try to avoid it
I don't know, of all of the half-baked features of Entune and the charge timer, having the car warm up (or cool) the battery back immediately before departure actually seems to be one of the better ones, for both pack longevity and range.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:51 pm 

Quote:
Is RAVCharge now able to actually stop a charge remotely? That'd be a very useful thing, and I didn't think that could be done.
No, that sort of thing can't be done unless you have a "smart" EVSE. ECP makes sure charges don't happen early by sending commands to Entune to push back your departure timer depending on your SOC and EVSE current setting.
Quote:
having the car warm up (or cool) the battery back immediately before departure actually seems to be one of the better ones, for both pack longevity and range.
Depending on the climate it might make sense, but here in SoCal it's generally just a waste of non-super-off-peak power. And since it's virtually impossible to set the timer to when you actually want to leave and have the charge happen when you want it to, the purpose is defeated anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:54 pm 

fooljoe wrote:
As you're probably already aware, the simplest way around the car's timer nonsense is to use ravcharge ;)

I find the monthly costs of $3.25 too high.

Quote:
This low-power event always happens from 20 minutes before your chosen departure time to 7 minutes after. I generally try to avoid it by setting the car's departure time to much later than I actually leave (letting RavCharge start my charge) and unplugging before it has a chance to kick in.

Thanks for the info. much appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:43 pm 

fromport wrote:
basic setup:
openevse set to 240V/24 amps.

This is how it charged in real life:

3/12 start 9:47pm 40 miles range left.
3/13 stop 2:12am

3/14 start 2:13am > 50% in battery
3/14 stop 4:52am

3/15 start 2:56am > 50% in battery
3/15 stop 5:09am
The car would have told you it was starting too early if you Turn off, Plug in, Immediately check the info screen.

3/12 adjust the departure out 3 hour (very easy) Would have started 12:47 ended 5:12
The rest worked fine. Yes a PITN at times but soon you will learn when to check and adjust and when to plug and go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:04 pm 

Quote:
Depending on the climate it might make sense, but here in SoCal it's generally just a waste of non-super-off-peak power. And since it's virtually impossible to set the timer to when you actually want to leave and have the charge happen when you want it to, the purpose is defeated anyway.
Gotcha. In our case, since we're in PG&E territory where off-peak is 11pm-7am, the car's out of the garage before 7am, the built-in timer never charges before 11pm with our 40A EVSE (even with the departure time set early), and where it gets chilly in the morning, this feature makes a whole lot of sense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:45 pm 

eschatfische wrote:
Gotcha. In our case, since we're in PG&E territory where off-peak is 11pm-7am, the car's out of the garage before 7am, the built-in timer never charges before 11pm with our 40A EVSE (even with the departure time set early), and where it gets chilly in the morning, this feature makes a whole lot of sense.
Yeah, with that long window you're mostly good, although the car will still start early with less than 2% SOC for a normal charge or 21% SOC for an extended charge, so if you ever get that low try the trick smkettner mentioned. In fromport's case with a 24A EVSE it'll be much harder to keep charges in a predictable window, as the car's predicted time to charge is inversely proportional to the EVSE's amperage. Smkettner's trick is effectively what RavCharge's ECP does automatically.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:46 pm 

We will have a simple outlet on our future JAMP JR charge cable that will allow a timer to not only modulate the charge, but also wake up the car.

We do this by switching the proximity pin.

The timer we use has:

1) Override feature

2) User adjustable Daylight Savings Time (particularly useful with utilities that don't follow modern DST dates)

3) Battery back up (it will keep time for MONTHS without power)

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next