Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:27 am 

^^^ Yes I agree. Scheduled for the week after the lease runs out assuming I buy as planned.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:48 am 

Too late. Car did not start this morning. Battery at 5.6 volts does not really work. :roll:
Toyota towed it away for a warranty battery replacement.

Reset my clock to 24 months for next replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:36 pm 

Shoreline Blue EV wrote:
Does this one from BatteriesPlus sound good?

X2power group 35 (ascent battery supply llc)
SLI35AGMDP

AGM w/deep cycle
65ah

$264

That seems a lot more expensive when compared to the competition (AGM / 60ah / Group 24F). It might even be the same Enersys battery as the Bosch, Exide, and Sears Platinum, just with another sticker on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:59 pm 

Amazon has this available:

Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
by Exide

Was $225.00
Price: $163.75
You Save: $61.25 (27%)

There is a $20 rebate available through 31 August 2016.

Post subject: Re: What can I do at home if I got the Check EV System error
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 am 

"Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM Battery
The two above batteries are identical, except for superficial color and markings."

Yes, both batteries are made by Johnson Controls Inc (JCI) and are identical. Shop for the best buy.

Goes for most car batteries, too. If the specs of two brands are identical, then there's a 99% chance that they're made by the same company. JCI batteries come under more than 50 brand names. Some ARE custom made for a client, but if for example, you see the same specs for an Interstate, Everlast, Kirkland, Walmart, Sears, Autozone, Duralast,Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto and even a number of OEM batteries like Toyota, Ford and BMW they most likely came off the same factory line with only the labeling different.

AGE of battery does matter, so check the date of manufacture and get the newest one.

JESLA , JLONG , JDeMo, WeatherTech mats including cargo,
Bike Hitch, Mud flaps, cargo cover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:08 pm 

mickeymammoth wrote:
I got this error the other day, and it restarted after 5 tries. But I think I'll replace the starter battery. Can anyone (Tony) tell me the best method to do this so I don't inadvertently brick the car?

Ramona
Replacing the 12V battery is quite simple. The hardest part is getting to the bolt under the front plastic piece.
See the 12V Battery replacement thread here. The AGM battery shown at that link is highly recommended and is available from a couple sources with different branding.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:51 pm 

I replaced the battery today with the Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery, and it's a little taller than the old one. I was not able to get the j bolt to extend through the hold-down bracket hole. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning to get a new j bolt; I might have to get the 12" one and cut it down. The j bolt I have is 9 3/8" in actual length; not sure if a standard 10" version includes the length of the bend, so that's why I think I might need a 12". Annoyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:43 pm 

The Bosch version fits (I've installed a bunch of these) and the sister battery with Exide branding are identical except for color.

60ah / AGM / Group 24F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:45 am 

mickeymammoth wrote:
I replaced the battery today with the Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery, and it's a little taller than the old one. I was not able to get the j bolt to extend through the hold-down bracket hole. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning to get a new j bolt; I might have to get the 12" one and cut it down. The j bolt I have is 9 3/8" in actual length; not sure if a standard 10" version includes the length of the bend, so that's why I think I might need a 12". Annoyed!
You most likely don't have the J-Bolt re-installed in the correct position. The hook of the J could engage in different ways. Play around with it before the battery is in place to see what I'm talking about. I just checked a picture of my Bosch AGM installation, and it appears that I had more than 3/4" of extra thread left on mine. In fact, the front side which is at the bottom of the picture and is not adjustable, is a little loose. See below.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

Last edited by miimura on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:46 pm 

The Exide battery looks just like your picture, but there was no finessing the j bolt. The j bolt came free during the installation, so I have no way of knowing if we put it back right. But there only seemed to be one location to hook the j onto that I could see (hole in metal tab extending from the plate below the pan). It was a little hard getting the negative connector up and over the terminal, so the battery did seem a little taller in general. I don't discount that we did something wrong, but I hesitate to uninstall it now 'cause I'm afraid I'll mess something up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next