Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:44 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
All the stories of “I didn’t have a problem” doesn’t mean the oodles of people who HAVE HAD A PEOBLEM are wrong.

Change that shitty battery before it can cause problems.

Tony,

Why are you being dense? The OP is asking if there's a special procedure for changing the battery, and you keep just saying, "Change the battery"...that he already changed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 am 

davewill wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
All the stories of “I didn’t have a problem” doesn’t mean the oodles of people who HAVE HAD A PEOBLEM are wrong.

Change that shitty battery before it can cause problems.

Tony,

Why are you being dense? The OP is asking if there's a special procedure for changing the battery, and you keep just saying, "Change the battery"...that he already changed.

Replace 12 volt battery.

Then, do the following:

viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

1) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

2) Cell phone pairings are not 100%, so I would check. i have had to delete my phone (and the car from my phone) and re-pair it

3) Map display mode

4) Volume of navigation voice notifications

5) Random play modes

6) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen

7) state selection from destination address page

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm 

If you don't want everything to reset when you change the battery, use a Lithium jump starter pack to maintain the 12V on the battery leads while you change the lead battery.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:45 am 

When I bought my car from CarMax, the 12V battery failed to charge the day after I purchased it. It got towed to CarMax and then Toyota El Cajon. The Toyota diagnosis cited the issue was caused by the 12V battery replacement procedure not being carried out properly.

However, I believe the procedure is limited to resetting trouble/fault codes after changing the battery. If not done, this can somehow lead to a subsequent 12V battery charging fault.

I think there is some software bug in the charging controller. If you can access the full Toyota Service Manuals, you should be able to confirm the trouble code reset is part of the 12V battery replacement procedure.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
(Aftermarket Leather Seats)
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 am 

This is why Tony keep harping to replace the 12v battery sooner than later.
If you wait for the failure it may cost you a tow and the price of 3 batteries to get it all reset.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:41 am 

smkettner wrote:
This is why Tony keep harping to replace the 12v battery sooner than later.
If you wait for the failure it may cost you a tow and the price of 3 batteries to get it all reset.

Yep. Stop the madness. Who would knowingly set themselves up for all this drama?

Replace the original Toyota battery NOW !!!

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:

Replace 12 volt battery.

Then, do the following:

viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

1) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

2) Cell phone pairings are not 100%, so I would check. i have had to delete my phone (and the car from my phone) and re-pair it

3) Map display mode

4) Volume of navigation voice notifications

5) Random play modes

6) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen

7) state selection from destination address page

I think that information is good for a quick battery swap, but if the 12V was dead overnight (as was mine), then you may have a LOT more serious problems than just having to reset your navigation comtrols.

My car would not even slip into drive and gave EV system errors. Once I managed to get the transmission working, the power steering had errors and stopped working. I also got airbag errors, and a few more which I forget.

I'm sure these were just codes that needed to be cleared, but I have no way of knowing how to do that. That's why I was asking about the manuals. Even the best Bosch battery can be drained, so I was just trying to be proactive for the next person who wakes to a dead 12v.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 am 

If you open the door and the dome lights don't go on or they're really dim, you're better off using a 12V charger to get the battery up to a usable voltage before trying to turn on the car. When you turn on the car and the voltage is too low, then you get all those errors that need to be cleared. Merely changing the battery while the car is off will not generate any errors. That is the point of Tony's posts about changing the battery proactively.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:20 am 

geo wrote:
I think that information is good for a quick battery swap, but if the 12V was dead overnight (as was mine), then you may have a LOT more serious problems than just having to reset your navigation comtrols.

My car would not even slip into drive and gave EV system errors. Once I managed to get the transmission working, the power steering had errors and stopped working. I also got airbag errors, and a few more which I forget.

I'm sure these were just codes that needed to be cleared, but I have no way of knowing how to do that. That's why I was asking about the manuals. Even the best Bosch battery can be drained, so I was just trying to be proactive for the next person who wakes to a dead 12v.

How exactly are you going to drain a new 60ah deep cycle 12 volt battery?

If you’re truly concerned about killing a perfectly good 12 volt battery, I’d put in a low voltage disconnect. Those are common for motorhomes.

Or, leave the 12 volt battery on a tender / trickle charger every night.

Folks, if you have the original 12 volt battery, replace it NOW.

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 pm 

Guys, my earlier post was not as clear as it could have been. I omitted the fact that my battery had been replaced immediately before buying my car. Therefore, the 12V battery failure in my instance, was caused by the fault codes not being reset.

I did change my battery over to the Bosch a few months later.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
(Aftermarket Leather Seats)
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next