Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ALL POSTS -CLUNK when braking and when going between D and R
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:49 pm 

We have developed a "clunk" It appears in two conditions:

1. When braking, there is a clunk from under the car about half the time, shortly after applying the brake pedal
2. When shifting from D to R, there's a clunk just when moving the shifter

Anyone else see this or have any ideas? It's not too loud but it's noticeable and it's new

Post subject: Re: CLUNK when braking and when going between D and R
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:38 am 

YES! I first noticed it a while back but it wasn't consistent and it was pretty subtle. Today it was REALLY distinctive, louder, and noticeable. So much so that that's the reason I logged into the forum; to see what others are doing about it.

Mine is a 2013 with about 33,500 miles on it. The other thing that I heard when driving home tonight was a high pitched whine when accelerating. Not the normal whirring sound, but louder and more intrusive. It was only when first accelerating, from zero to about 30 or 35 mph, or at least that's the only time I could really hear it distinctly. Definitely the second new sound, though, that's surfaced recently.

Loose CV joints seem to be a problem for some. Is that what Michael and I are experiencing? I'm out of State so if any other non-CA folks have had this problem resolved, please share with us how it unfolded.

JESLA owner, JLONG owner, JDeMo alpha-tester

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am 

I've been noticing a clunk for the past couple of months that most often occurs when starting up again from a full stop, like a stoplight. It's definitely a new sound. (I'm at 26K miles with a Sept 2013 build.)

I've experimented for a while and found that I can't reliably reproduce it on demand despite how often I notice it in normal city driving.... until I tried switching between D and R and going into motion. Then it happens every time.

It doesn't seem to be triggered by the actual physical motion of the vehicle. It seems to be tied to engaging acceleration with more than just the creep motion, but it also doesn't require quick acceleration. It's most easy to notice with slow acceleration, in either forward or reverse.

I asked my local mechanic about it (not a Toyota dealer) and he inspected various aspects of the suspension and found everything to be tight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:00 am 

I also have this issue. I posted a video of it over on the Rav EV facebook page. Although it is not quite as noticeable in the video as it is in person.

Mine has the clunk when taking off, when braking, and now even when turning. It has become louder in the past few weeks, to where passengers notice.

The popping/clunk happened on my original motor for about 6 months.

I JUST RECENTLY had a motor replacement. And I voiced this concern beforehand. And the noise is still happening.

To me, it sounds and feels like the left front axle. My Rav is a late 2013 delivered in 2014, with 30k miles currently.

#2261 | Leviton 240 | Mudguards | 3m Windshield Tint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:24 pm 

I have noticed this clunk noise for over a year (on my 2013). It feels like brake pad shift.

Does not seem serious as it has been going on for quite a while.

(ex-2011 Volt #2365 - returned Nov. 2013)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:45 am 

Shoreline Blue EV wrote:
To me, it sounds and feels like the left front axle. My Rav is a late 2013 delivered in 2014, with 30k miles currently.

Sadly, these half shafts came out of the factory not properly torqued (there has been a LOT of this issue over the years). Just jack up the left wheel (with the parking brake FIRMLY set) and the vehicle turned off, then rotate the wheel back and forth, listening for the noise.

You could have an experienced hand look underneath (use safety!... always use jack stands with a jack) while you exercise the wheel. Something in there isn't right, and its not in the motor (since that was just changed).

There just isn't that many parts in there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:44 am 

It's more than likely that your drive shaft bolts have loosened and need to be re-tightened. It happened on my Rav after about 30,000 miles.

15.4 KW Solar PV System
2011 Ocean Blue LEAF
Picked Up 4/29/2011
Clipper Creek CS-60 EVSE at home
and a Leviton 16 amp L2 EVSE for work
116,500 miles on the Rav as of 08-5-16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:13 am 

Got both a call and an email from the Seattle area dealer who I took my car to about (among other things) the CLUNK that my 2013 also exhibits.

Earlier today I sent an email to the tech adviser after he told me they hadn't gotten to the CLUNK yet, but that the tech was "on a test drive with it right now". In my email I pasted the various responses folks here on the forum had posted about what their dealers and others had told them. I also threw in the piece from Tony about the "bad half-shafts leaving the factory not torqued properly."

Here's the email response I got back"

"Technician was able to verify your concern. We are currently working with FTS on the issue and awaiting an answer back. I will let you know as soon as I hear something."

I am cautiously optimistic that since they DID verify the CLUNK, they'll actually help to get it resolved.

Anyone want to place any "gentleman's bets" on the outcome?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:27 pm 

I posted this in the Facebook group, but I think this is a better place for future reference.

My clunk was resolved at my last dealer visit on August 23rd and it has not returned after more than 3 weeks. Here's the description of the corrective work from the work order:

REMOVED BOTH FRONT AXLES FROM HUBS. CLEANED SPLINES & RELUBED WITH COPPERCOAT, RETORQUED AND REPLACED AXLE NUTS, ROAD TESTED AND WAS NOT ABLE TO REPRODUCE CONCERN. CUSTOMER TO DRIVE & MONITOR/REPORT IF CONCERN IS GONE.

I have heard others say on the forum (like Bassman above) that re-torquing the (CV joint ??) axle bolts fixed it for them. However, at my previous visit they checked and retorqued everything in the driveline and came up empty. Also, I had to drive with the master tech to reproduce the noise for him to hear. This is what he wrote:

UNABLE TO REPRODUCE CUSTOMER CONCERN. ROAD TESTED WITH CUSTOMER, DID VERIFY A VERY INTERMITTENT CLUNK FROM RIGHT FRONT THAT WAS NOT EASILY REPRODUCED ON RD TEST. POSSIBLE AXLE SHAFT/HUB SPLINE NOISE.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:56 am 

Toyota of Kirkland (WA) called me today to tell me that they're getting me a new motor, well they actually called it a generator motor. Called back later with a message that I could come and pick up the car and use it until the new motor comes in.

Don't know if the new motor will solve the problem, but since I also advised them (in writing) about what others have found with the splines and torque, I hope they'll do things right.