Rav4EV battery modules for sale

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3ckf

I believe these are the battery modules in our car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-Ion-Battery-18650-EV-Module-57-Volt-3kWh-Solar-Power-Storage-EV-/252144461952

I think our car would have 14 of these in it: 2 strings of 7 modules in series. (which would be 42KWH @ 399V nominal). When mine are charging i normally see 388Volts on the charging display.

I'm thinking of buying a couple (not to put in the car) but to use as a backup battery for a solar charging system.

Judging by Model S battery pack teardowns, I don't think those modules on eBay are from the RAV. If I had to guess, I would say it is from a Tesla powered Smart ED. That eBay seller has parts from dismantled Smart cars. Intriguing nonetheless, but I think a little overpriced at $330/kWh.

miimura said:
Judging by Model S battery pack teardowns, I don't think those modules on eBay are from the RAV. If I had to guess, I would say it is from a Tesla powered Smart ED. That eBay seller has parts from dismantled Smart cars. Intriguing nonetheless, but I think a little overpriced at $330/kWh.

That is exactly what those are. They were used on the prototype RAV4 EV (you can see them today on the RAV4 EVs at the Tesla factory in Fremont).

The original used two complete packs at 18kWh each, for a total of 36kWh. The Mercedes B-Class ED retained the 36kWh capacity, but the RAV4 got bumped up to about 45kWh (41.8kWh usable)

n3ckf said:
I believe these are the battery modules in our car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-Ion-Battery-18650-EV-Module-57-Volt-3kWh-Solar-Power-Storage-EV-/252144461952

I think our car would have 14 of these in it: 2 strings of 7 modules in series. (which would be 42KWH @ 399V nominal). When mine are charging i normally see 388Volts on the charging display.

The RAV4 EV maximum regeneration or charging voltage is 92S * 4.2 = 386 volts.

The Smart ED pack is 88S * 4.2 = 369 volts.

If you're going to use these packs for home storage, I would not exceed 4.1v, even lower is better.

What inverters are available to manage high voltage battery packs? I am interested in finding a "two-way" chademo type inverter that could charge batteries from solar panels (or the grid), and draw from batteries as needed to produce AC power. I'm only familiar with typical inverters that use 48V strings of batteries in parallel.

dstjohn99 said:
What inverters are available to manage high voltage battery packs? I am interested in finding a "two-way" chademo type inverter that could charge batteries from solar panels (or the grid), and draw from batteries as needed to produce AC power. I'm only familiar with typical inverters that use 48V strings of batteries in parallel.
I don't think there are any yet. Tesla's PowerWall is motivating other vendors to develop high voltage inverters for off-grid though. Rumor had it that Outback Power would be at least showing one at a trade show this year.

Nominal 48V system can go as high as 60VDC. Tesla Model S modules are about 43VDC nominal.

Off-Grid Solar with salvaged Model S batteries.

Back