EVSE for home/travel

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cebufunk

I am a very proud new papa of a 2013 RAV4EV. Part of the sale included the 120 voltage EVSE cord. I plugged it into my car last night at 10 PM (the battery pack was near 0% - 4 miles left). At 1 PM today, the battery is charged for 55 miles and it looks like I'll need another 19 hours to get it to 100%.

I checked my home's breaker box and low and behold, I have a 60 amp (two 30 amp) breakers (used for my dryer) available. Any suggestions on a "reasonably priced" EVSE that I can purchase that won't take 32 hours to charge the car?

Thanks all!

I have been using the Schneider Electric EV230WS for about 3 years now without any issues.
http://www.amazon.com/Schneider-Electric-EV230WS-Generation-Enhanced/dp/B00CXXCVLI/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1456784006&sr=8-31&keywords=evse

I also like the Seimens EVSE, but I chose the Schneider electric over Siemens due to the fact that the delay is 1 hour increments on the Schneider vs. 2 hour increments on the Siemens.

The are both 30 amps, so you will be at 7KW + charging...

There are not many EVSEs that are perfectly sized for a dryer circuit (240V 30A breaker). I just noticed that Clipper Creek finally has one, the HCS-30. This looks to be the same unit as the rest of the HCS series (also sized for 40, 50, 60 amp circuits). However, it is rather large and does not come in a version with a plug-in cord, if that's what you were looking for. You could always install the plug cord yourself, especially if it will be used indoors. They are also set at the factory to a certain circuit size and are not field adjustable. The other way to go is OpenEVSE, which is adjustable and more portable. However, it requires assembly and is only $127 cheaper than the Clipper Creek after you include a 25 foot J1772 cable. I believe that the Siemens Versicharge is field adjustable, but this version comes with a 6-50 plug which would not be legal to use on a 30 amp circuit.

Of course, the Jesla is the best solution, but a new one is rather expensive and I had to go out of my way to get one of the discontinued (or maybe not discontinued) 30A Tesla adapters. I went to the effort because Tesla removed it from their Accessories store web site and I thought it would only get harder to find if and when I actually needed it.

Just remember that you have a 30 amp circuit, so you must use an EVSE that delivers no more than 24 amps (80%) to the vehicle because it is considered a continuous load. You cannot safely and legally use a 30 amp or 32 amp EVSE on that circuit.

FYI, twin 30 amp breakers don't add up to 60 amps, so if you plan on using that circuit the most you can charge at is 240 volts and 24 amps (you shouldn't go over 80% of the circuit rating), or about 5.7 kW. That'll get you charged all the way up in a reasonable 7-8 hours (but you probably shouldn't be starting from 0% that often anyway so usually the charge will be much shorter.)

Do you plan to plug an EVSE directly into a dryer outlet? If so, your best options are probably an openEVSE (you can buy a kit or buy one pre-made from some guys in the forum like GlennD), or the GE Durastation from Home Depot is a good value. The Jesla would also work great but is fairly expensive. Most retail EVSEs would need you to install a new 40 amp circuit, as they can't be adjusted down from 30 amps. The aforementioned Durastation is one exception, as is the Siemens Versicharge and perhaps a few others (and the "kit" EVSEs like openEVSE or Juicebox are fully adjustable.)

i do the dryer outlet thing all the time with the Siemens Versacharge set to 75% power (which is 24 amps). I made a couple of adapters myself (for 10-30 (3 prong) and 14-30 (4 prong) dryer outlets). New houses have the 14-30 generally, my older condo has the 10-30.

I also own a JESLA now too (which i keep in the car all the time for traveling), but i have no way to charge at 30 amps with it because i dont have one of the discontinued 30amp adapters for it. i do have all the other adapters though. I'm hoping to either make or get one of the 30amp ones...

I have a clipper creek lcs20 just for that purpose. Takes about 10 hours to fully do an extended charge from empty. No risk of overloading the circuit. 24 amps is the max sustained load on a 30 amp circuit. I just installed a plug on the end, but also carry a 12' 10 gauge extension cord. The price has dropped to $379 from the 499 when I bought mine. Anyhow, I didn't feel like building an open evse or risking overloading circuits.

I do have the 40 a leviton at home, and now with Jdemo, I probably won't need it. It's just there for "insurance", since it will work with any dryer plug

n3ckf said:
i do the dryer outlet thing all the time with the Siemens Versacharge set to 75% power (which is 24 amps). I made a couple of adapters myself (for 10-30 (3 prong) and 14-30 (4 prong) dryer outlets). New houses have the 14-30 generally, my older condo has the 10-30.

I also own a JESLA now too (which i keep in the car all the time for traveling), but i have no way to charge at 30 amps with it because i dont have one of the discontinued 30amp adapters for it. i do have all the other adapters though. I'm hoping to either make or get one of the 30amp ones...
You can try to PM GasKilla on TMC and see if he has any 10-30 adapters left. He said he snatchted up some at his local service center. See this thread.

I built an OpenEVSE for a man to use with his dryer circuit. He is happy with it charging his Leaf at 24A instead of 27A.

Any car that follows the J1772 specifications will work fine and that is most cars. Certainly Tesla based cars like the RAV4 EV follow it.

GlennD said:
I built an OpenEVSE for a man to use with his dryer circuit. He is happy with it charging his Leaf at 24A instead of 27A.

Any car that follows the J1772 specifications will work fine and that is most cars. Certainly Tesla based cars like the RAV4 EV follow it.

In my previous home I have 30 amp rated outlet with 30 amp breakers & #10 wire.
Limited my openevse to specified 24 amps but every time I checked during a longer charging session, the metal contacts were so hot I couldn't hold my fingers to it (unplugged of course ;-) ). I (temp) replaced the connector with a 14-50 setup. With the same amount of power never had any hot contacts ever again. If possible, go for a beefy connector/cabling. Could save a lot of problems later.

OpenEVSE is just an open source firmware project at its core - you could make one with all sorts of different hardware and it would qualify for the name (just check this out.)

Any OpenEVSE made from kits at the OpenEVSE store can easily handle 24 amps. I charge both my Leaf and Rav daily (whoever gets the garage first) with an OpenEVSE made by GlennD (internals rated up to 40A) that's plugged into a dryer outlet, and it works just fine.

Hot contacts (I assume you mean on the plug?) are likely a sign of a bad outlet - any 30 amp rated plug/receptacle combination should work fine at 24 continuous amps if everything's in good condition, but of course a 14-50 will work fine as well.

fooljoe said:
Hot contacts (I assume you mean on the plug?) are likely a sign of a bad outlet
yep, sorry for not being clear.
It was an Nema L6-30
New unit installed by me over some (for me ) odd 30 amp connector I didn't know.

- any 30 amp rated plug/receptacle combination should work fine at 24 continuous amps if everything's in good condition, but of course a 14-50 will work fine as well.

Like I said, the L6-30 got to hot to my liking, replaced it with 14-50 and it was just luke warm with the 24 amps.
In my new home I charging with 40 amps, same openevse , without problems
So I know it is not the openevse. I just wanted to point out that if you can, go for big contacts at least.

The 14-50 has massive contacts. Mine does not get warm charging at 40A. At 24A it would be the coolest part in the system. It is dual rated for 40A or 50A. Even a 40A range cord only gets warm at 40A so I assume at 24A it is golden. A 30A cord would work with the neutral removed( different shape).

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/Go-Cable-is-THE-240V-20-Amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-GC20.htm

$299 from Quick Charge Power

Go-Cable(tm) is the super flexible and super lightweight low cost 240 volt / 20 amp portable charge cable (EVSE) for your EV sold in North America or Japan.

Full 25 foot cable length !!!

Requires a 208- 240 volt wall outlet, with a minimum 20 amp circuit.

Provides up to 3.8kW of power to your EV.

Equipped with NEMA L6-20P wall plug.

Optional adaptors for $29 each:

NEMA 14-20P
NEMA 14-30P (newer dryers)
NEMA 14-50P (RV parks... this is the home outlet recommended by Tesla)
NEMA 10-30P (older dyers)

Other popular plugs available via special order.

image_14.jpeg

The maximum charge power:

16 amps or less (3.8kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2011-2012), Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark EV, Toyota Prius Plug-In, Ford C-Max Energy, Ford Fusion Energy, ZERO motorcycle (2015 and newer with J1772), Brammo motorcycle, Smart Electric Drive, Ford C-Max Energi, Karma Fisker, Mitsubishi iMiev, Cadillac ELR, Porshe Cayenne S-E, Porsche Panamera S-E, Honda Accord Plug-In.

30amps or less (7.2kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2013 and newer at 28 amps, however some are 16 amps), VW eGolf, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3 and i8, Ford Focus Electric, Fiat 500e, Honda Fit EV, Fiat 500e.

40 amps or less (9.6kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S, plus the following two Tesla powered cars; Mercedes B-Class ED and 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV

48 amps or less (11.5kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S (2016 and newer)
Tesla Model X
Tesla Model 3

70 amps or less (16.8kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Roadster (requires firmware update to use any charge station over 70 amps)

72 amps or less (17.3kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model X and Model 3 with optional 72 amp charger

80 amps or less (19.2kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S with optional "twin chargers" (2012-2015)

miimura said:
The picture looks like a conventional NEMA 6-20 plug, not a L6-20 twist lock as in the description.

Yes, indeed it is. We don't sell it with a regular 6-20, and I took the picture of a preproduction version.

We do indeed use an L6-20P, and the adaptors all have L6-20R on one end, then 6" later, whatever plug adaptor you order.

Tony - I was just looking on your website and it said that the GO Cable can NOT be used with the 2012-2014 Rav4EV?

What is the best recommended, inexpensive portable EVSE for the RAV4 EV?

cebufunk said:
I checked my home's breaker box and low and behold, I have a 60 amp (two 30 amp) breakers (used for my dryer) available. Any suggestions on a "reasonably priced" EVSE that I can purchase that won't take 32 hours to charge the car?

Not sure what your driving habits are, but if you want to plan for the best I'd suggest swapping one of your 30A for a 50A breaker [$15] and swap the dryer plug for a 14-50 receptacle [$10]. Assuming your dryer plug is already in your garage its likely not going to have the 8ga [maybe 6ga] wire needed for a 50A breaker so you would have to swap that out. The wire is the expensive part, explicitly if you have a long run, say greater than 50' [$50-$150]. If you ore one of your friends is electrically inclined it could save you a lot over an electrician.

I personally got a refurbished JuiceBox 40 Pro for $425 off Ebay. I saw one sell for $375 and there is one on Ebay now with a starting price of $350. I've only been a Rav4 EV owner for about 2 months, so I can not say I know a lot about this EVSE, but it can be bought at a lower price point. Mine has worked great so far.

Just an FYI, the JuiceBox 40 Pro has a setting that can be current limited, say to 24A, should you want to skip all that rewiring of the circuit. Then you just need to swap for a 14-50 receptacle.

Just my $0.02

Back