Extended Charging not finished

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukeandjuke

I have a 2014 with about 11k miles. I rarely use the extended range. In the past 2 weeks, I used it twice and each time, it charged to 122 and it stopped charging on its own. I get a message on my phone text indicating the car is done charging. I get in the car and the dash says it needs another 40 minutes on 240v. So I'm confused. Is it done or not done? Did anyone experience the same?

its done.

this often happens. In general even right after you finish a charge, the car will say it needs a bit of charge (often < 1 hour at 120V) which is only a few hundred watt-hours (120V gives roughly 1KWH per hour of charging).

If you actually plug it in at that point, it'll stop charging within a few minutes.

[moderator note: all post about Guess-O-meter / GOM / DTE have been moved to the appropriate thread:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=825]

Your battery is fine.

If you want to know how much degradation the battery has (and reset the Guess-O-Meter (GOM)), make sure that the battery is at room temperature, then:

1) Car must be off
2) Fully charge vehicle (extended) with the J1772 port (not CHAdeMO)
3) Battery must be near room temperature
4) Disconnect the 12 volt battery negative cables and leave off for several hours minimum (overnight is ideal.... there are three negative cables; you need to remove all three)

Next day:

5) Reconnect 12 volt battery (all three negative cables)
6) Energy gauge will show Full (16 illuminated segments) and "LO" on the GOM
7) Hold foot on brake and press START button with key fob nearby
8) Wait for navigation unit to complete its start up (about 20 seconds)
9) Press START again with brake pedal depressed
10) RAV4 EV will be in READY mode, air conditioner will be off
10) The displayed range is "RATED RANGE" at 3.5 miles per kWh

11) Divide this Rated Range by 146 to get usable battery capacity compared to new.

Example: 142 rated range / 146 = 97.2% battery capacity from new

What needs attention after a 12 volt battery reset:

1) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

2) Cell phone pairings are not 100%, so I would check. i have had to delete my phone (and the car from my phone) and re-pair it

3) Map display mode

4) Volume of navigation voice notifications

5) Random play modes

6) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen

7) state selection from destination address page

8) GOM will be reset

Back