Rav4 Stops charging after 1 - 2 min

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddh

Went to charge the Rav4 tonight and it starts to charge, runs for 1 - 2 min then stops.

I bought the car a couple weeks ago and had it shipped to TX from CA. I have more than a few times received entunes notices that the charging was interrupted. Once or twice when I checked it was not charging but most of the time it had resumed (or never stopped - I read here on the forum that entunes might send false notifications). I have had this happen at several locations so I am thinking it is not my EVSE.

Tonight I have unplugged and re-plugged it 3 times and each time it runs for several minutes then stops.

Is there something I can look for, error logs or anything I can check?

--

toddh said:
Went to charge the Rav4 tonight and it starts to charge, runs for 1 - 2 min then stops.

I bought the car a couple weeks ago and had it shipped to TX from CA. I have more than a few times received entunes notices that the charging was interrupted. Once or twice when I checked it was not charging but most of the time it had resumed (or never stopped - I read here on the forum that entunes might send false notifications). I have had this happen at several locations so I am thinking it is not my EVSE.

Tonight I have unplugged and re-plugged it 3 times and each time it runs for several minutes then stops.

Is there something I can look for, error logs or anything I can check?

--

If you have a smart meter, can you make sure it is pulling power before it stops
I've seen it try to get a charge and giving up after a few minutes.
What is the exact error message you get from entunes ?

Shortly after I posted last night the Rav4 started charging again.

I have a JuiceBox and yes I can see on the Android App that it's pulling power before it stops.

myentune message:
"Our systems indicate that your RAV4 EV 42814 vehicle's charging process was interrupted. Charge may have stopped due to a power outage or the plug has been removed during the charging process."

Not sure what is going on.

--

I had similar problem with my JuiceBox Classic 40. Within 30 seconds of plugging in the J1772, the charging would stop and the 2 LED light above the J1772 port on the RAV4EV would both blink. I had to "reset" the JuiceBox by unplugging the 14-50P plug and then re-plugging in the J1772. Sometimes doing this once would take care of the problem, other times it would take 3-4 more tries before charging would continue. There were times when I got so fed up I just gave up and used the 110V/15A EVSE that came with the car. It might have been slow, but that EVSE never failed to charge my car. I also used another L2 EVSE at work and it has never failed. That's why I didn't think the problem was with my RAV4EV.

I actually opened a case with JuiceBox on this issue, and we only got as far as a suspicion/diagnosis of "internal GFI trip". At the time the JuiceBox was a loaner unit under the BuyBack program, so I requested to return the unit and they reluctantly agreed. I suggest you try charging your RAV4EV using another L2 EVSE to see if the problem occurs. If not then I would think the problem is with the JuiceBox. If that's the case then you should call eMotorWerks.

Good luck.

I get the same entunes notices when I charge with a Mazanita Micro EVSE at another location. I have been using the Juicebox for about 8 months with my Ford Focus EV and had no issues. This was leading me to think it is the Rav4.

I thought about trying the 110V that came with the car just to be thorough in my diagnostics. Will try that next time.

I've been noticing the same behavior starting on mine within the last couple of months. It starts, then quits after a couple of minutes. At home, it's not problem because it simply starts again, but it's done it 3 times when using public charging, on 3 different networks, Blink, Wattstation, and EVGo. Once I had to interrupt my lunch to go back out and restart it, the other two times I just missed out on getting a charge. The problem there is that it ended my session, so I don't get a charge. The first time I blamed EVGo, but the second and third times, I realized it was my RAV that had caused it.

Unfortunately, it is not consistent at all, so getting the dealer to diagnose it will be problematic. I think it may be related to being plugged in, then enabling the EVSE, but it certainly doesn't happen every time I do that. That happens at home because I use my Blink's timer function. It sometimes happens at public charging because you have to enable it with with a card, although I'm now avoiding plugging it in before starting the charge session. I haven't had it fail when I've done that.

Back