Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmision knock when going from N to D?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:21 am 

Hi guys,

Just experienced a knocking sensation when shifting my RAV4 EV from N to D while in slow motion. I think I was going at about 3 or 4 mph in my college campus parking lot. Anyway, just wondering if I should be worried? The knock was pretty clear and the RAV4 EV felt like it stopped then went in short quick intervals. Very short. I then shifted to N then to D again and it did it again. This just makes me wonder if what the manual says about not shifting to N while in motion is true? That is can cause damage? It certainly wasn't a graceful thing what I experienced. Even my mother felt alarmed because it was quite clear that something was happening.

Thoughts?

Edit: Well perhaps knock is the wrong word. I don't recall hearing much but there was certainly something. What was experienced the most was the reengaging of the motor which made the rav4 ev jerk back and forth rapidly. There was sound but not really knocking not metallic. There definitely was some sound though.

Post subject: Re: Transmision knock when going from N to D?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:35 am 

Half shafts, splines, u-joints, constant velocity joints.

Take to dealer. Common issues.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:21 pm 

Always check to see if there are already posts / threads about a topic. Here's the one about the CLUNK noise that sounds like the same issue.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1881

JESLA , JLONG , JDeMo, WeatherTech mats including cargo,
Bike Hitch, Mud flaps, cargo cover

Post subject: Re: CLUNK when braking and when going between D and R
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:31 pm 

Here's what my service ticket said when I got my car back yesterday:

GUEST STATES THAT FRONT END CLUNK NOISE HEARD AT SLOW SPEEDS HEARD IN DRIVE OR REVERSE. GUEST STATES INTERMITTENT ISSUE.GUEST STATES THAT ESPECIALLY OCCURS IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC.

TEST DROVE. HEARD NOISE. TEST DROVE WITH FTS. HEAR NOISE. WAS ABLE TO VERIFY NOISE COMING FROM TESLA MOTOR. AWAITING CALL BACK FROM FTS TO TECH.

FTS CALLED BACK. SENT FTS VIN AND MILAGE FOR TAS CASE.
ORDERING GENERATOR AS INSTRUCTED. WILL CONTACT GUEST ONCE PART ARRIVES.

PART ON ORDER

Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS -CLUNK when braking and when going between D a
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:12 am 

Took my car in to Kirkland (WA) Toyota for them to replace the drive unit the other day. Following day I picked it up and what a difference!

NO CLUNKING, no apparent slack or slippage in the drive train, and feels smoother, quieter, and "like new". Took only about 2 weeks from the time I reported it until getting it scheduled.

Kevin Spillane rocks! Kudos and a big huge thank you to him.

The local dealers are another story. It seems to have come from some regional service manger who basically has been telling the NW dealers that they can't even touch the vehicle for the seat belt recall or ANY other servicing. What a crock! Kevin and whoever at the helpline made it all happen. With luck, he told them to start telling the truth and treating us RAV4 EV owners with a little more respect. The "We can't help you" attitude is total crap, and any self-respecting service center would know it.

I also had them perform the 30k (or was it 35k) check up and everything came up fine. The "batter check" that they performed however, was only for the 12 volt, not the traction battery. Cost me $115 to basically have them tell me everything is good. Is that the cost of Peace of Mind these days?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:15 am 

Larry_in_Seattle wrote:
I also had them perform the 30k (or was it 35k) check up and everything came up fine. The "batter check" that they performed however, was only for the 12 volt, not the traction battery. Cost me $115 to basically have them tell me everything is good. Is that the cost of Peace of Mind these days?
It may also be the cost of maintaining the status of your Extended Warranty. It has verbiage that basically says you have to perform the recommended scheduled maintenance. Of course, if you keep notes as to date and mileage and you check everything in the warranty and maintenance booklet, then you should be good.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:06 pm 

I just purchased a 2013 Rav 4 EV - I live in Marysville, WA and commute to Bellevue - thank you for sharing your experiences here - quite helpful - I also detected the clunk in mine - I will reach out to Toyota of Kirkland - thanks.

2013 RAV4 EV #2090

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:27 pm 

Just experienced a single thud sound (NO SHAKING OR JARRING) when shifting from N to D followed by no acceleration power from pedal for about 1 to 2 seconds and a flashing round yellow ! exclamation mark on the main screen. After the 1 to 2 seconds the motor finally reengages from N to D and I get power. Did this twice in a row. It makes me wonder if I maybe shift from N to D TOO MUCH? I literally try to coast in N as much as possible for best battery range. It makes me wonder if me playing too much with it might be a bad idea? I am going to keep an eye on this and see if it happens more often. I wonder what the little thud sound is? This is different from my other post up which was at slow speed of about 3 mph and shifting N to D caused the RAV4 to make a sound then shake back and forth as the motor engaged again.

I wonder if something is starting to happen down there?

The slow speed 3 mph issues doesn't happen all the time. Almost random and this new one... well its new. I just wonder if taking it in is WORTH IT? because they will charge me for the inspection and the slow issue is pretty random and most of the time is not present and this one... well... its new so I have to see if it becomes constant.

Post subject: Something's clunking when I change gears from Drive->Reverse
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:43 pm 

Hey everyone,

I've had my electric Rav 4 for almost 3 years now, and I must say I am happy about it. The only thing that I did not like when I first sat in it slightly rough drive... But with years I got used to it. Anyways, in my area road pavement is frankly speaking so-so, and now my suspension requires minor repair which I guess I will do by myself. So, when I go from drive to reverse I feel my suspension clunking... So I was wondering whether this sounds like radius arm bushing or axle pivot bushing? I am not sure how to determine what is what, and which of these 2 causes this sound? Visually see that nothing is missing...

Any suggestions are appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:32 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
Half shafts, splines, u-joints, constant velocity joints. Take to dealer. Common issues.

Thanks for moving it here, now I see that there's nothing extraofdinary about the case I've got... Will go ahead and check this out by myself, first. Now I guess I know what I'll be looking for.

----
Update - really discovered a problem with the bushings. In my case, these were the radius arm bushings). So I went ahead and ordered the new ones yesterday (https://www.carid.com/radius-arm-bushings/), and hope to get them delivered today, so that I could fix it this weekend...