Service Manual? I destroyed the inner door pulling handle

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

So... I was in my rav4 and closed the door... but it did not shut all the way just remained barely opened. The rav4 ev is telling me the door is open and me being lazy I don't open then close the door... instead I grip the 'pulling handle' (Or whatever it is called) and try to yank it shut.

Result?

I broke that big handle right off. Well.. almost.. it still attached... sort of.... just the bottom is completely off and the top part partly off.

:?

Moral of the story? Opening then shutting the door is better than trying to yank it shut if it already is almost fully shut.

Now I need to replace this handle thing with a new one and I don't want to get charged like 200$ at the dealer to service it. BTW its not the handle that opens the lock... just the one you use to pull the rav4 ev shut from the inside.

Looking around I see http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-10-Toyota-RAV-4-RH-Rear-Door-Panel-/131898305746?hash=item1eb5c06cd2:g:wNEAAOSwkl5XdtnW&vxp=mtr but that is the whole door panel. I am wondering if I can just get the piece by itself and replace/reinstall it.

This means I need the service manual but it sounds like you have to pay toyota online to see the service manual of the rav4 ev and ... I just don't want to do that.

Seeing the rav4 ev got the 3rd generation rav4 gasoline body... it appears I can work on the panel if I can download the 2006 RAV4 Factory Service Repair Manual.

Anyway, I am looking for this now and I just wonder how hard will this be and what kind of tools will I need? Does anyone know if I have to replace the whole panel? Honestly this handle seems pretty flimsy and it looks to be made out of cheap plastic. Yet it also looks to be a small piece by itself which I am hoping means I can just replace that part and not have to do something ridiculous like replacing the whole panel or a huge part of the door.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

Also can I order this part from toyota? Or should I visit junk yards? Or maybe ebay? But I can't seem to find it by itself on ebay just the whole panels. While Im on this I also ripped off a cover on the lath that is in the rear center of the roof. I think the latch is used for the baby seat. Anyway its just the cover that you can flip on and off... but could replace it if I don't need to remove the whole ceiling cover... I think it is called an anchor point?

If the damage isn't too bad, I'd try removing the panel and seeing if I could repair the handle from the back. I rather doubt you'll find the handle by itself.

I doubt it can be repaired from the back. The plastic on the bottom portion is completely torn and the upper joint is partially torn off. Unless I can fuse the plastic back together I don't think it can be repaired. Unless you mean like drilling and tying it together or something like that? Honestly I wish I could just replace the whole handle. I don't know what the piece is called of if the piece is there by itself or joined on to a bigger part of the door. Im still looking for the gas service manual

Here is an update in case anyone else has this issue. It turns out the handle is made up of two pieces. The first half of the handle itself is a hollow cover. This one pops rights off to reveal the handle itself that you use for pulling the door shut. This handle is also hallow so its more like a half "C". Now I understand why when you pull the handles shut the thing bends slightly. It doesn't have much in terms of body.

Anyway, I noticed the first half of the handle was partially torn and the very bottom base was fully torn. So now that I had access to the full inside of the handle I used super glue and put them back together. Then I placed the handle cover on top. Its working now.

So its working now and moral of the story is handle that handle with great care. The thing is only a half piece and the inside is hollow half plastic!

Back