EVSE Juicebox

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnerGene

So my coworker (LEAF owner) recomends this evse....

https://emotorwerks.com/store-juice...p-evse-with-24-foot-cable/category_pathway-23

Looks fine for my purposes.
Does anyone use this specific model for their rav4? If so did it work out of the box or did you have to make config changes to get it to charge at the cars maximum rate?

Is there an EVSE that will charge the rav4 to it's maximum rate?

I'm a noob ev owner so I'm going to have a bunch of questions.
:D

EnerGene said:

Yes, there are several EVSEs that will charge your 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV at the fastest rate.

JESLA is a 40 amp (9.6kW) J1772 / Type 1 premium portable charging cable works at up to full power on every known J1772 equipped vehicle in the world, including your RAV4 EV. 19 feet of cable. Works on all voltages between 100 and 264.

$899

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

JESLA has the following plugs available for your particular wall electrical outlet. JESLA will further limit the maximum power to whatever plug is used. You don't need to know anything about electricity; it's Just-Plug-N-Charge (TM) !!!

NEMA 5-15 ......Standard Outlet... 12 amps ... adds 3-4 miles per hour charging

NEMA 6-15 ...... Air conditioners..
12 amps ... adds 6-8 miles per hour charging

NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel A/C .......... 16 amps ... adds 4-6 miles per hour charging

NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers........ 24 amps (discontinued, we can make an adapter for NEMA 14-30) ... adds 15-20 miles per hour charging

NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers...... 24 amps... adds 15-20 miles per hour charging

NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ............ 40 amps ... adds 25-30 miles per hour charging

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=adapter

NOTE: JESLA comes with a carrying case, and NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50 plugs.

The second option that I highly recommend for a wall mount is the new J-Wall. It's so new, it's not yet on our website.

23 foot cable.

$999

The new J-Wall is a hardwired charging station designed for 208-240 Volt power supplies with a 100 amp circuit breaker. It can be configured to allow circuit breaker settings from 12 amps to 80 amps.

Programmable amps: 12, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72, 80

J-Wall provides the absolute fastest way to charge at home with J1772 when the unit is installed with an up to 100 amp circuit.

Power sharing feature allows a single circuit breaker to be connected and shared, servicing up to 4 units at the same time.

Designed for indoor or outdoor installation

email us for more info on this product:

sales (((@))) QuickChargePower.com

Go-Cable is a low cost portable charge cable.

25 feet of cable

20 amp / 208-240 volt circuit, with NEMA L6-20 plug

Adapters available for NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 10-30 outlets

$299

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/Go-Cable-is-THE-240V-20-Amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-GC20.htm

We recommend the following for a 50 amp circuit that is capable of safely charging your vehicle.

Always follow codes, permit requirements or restrictions for your area. We recommend professional installation, however this can be a Do-It-Yourself project for a experienced "handy person":

1) $5.99 for a NEMA 14-50R http://shop.quickchargepower.com/14-50R-Outlet-14-50R.htm

2) Install copper wires:

White - neutral
Black - hot / line 1
Red - hot / line 2
Green - Ground / Earth

Minimum 6 gauge copper "Romex" or THHN wire for Neutral, Line 1 and Line 2
Minimum 8 gauge minimum for ground

3) Use a 50 amp circuit breaker for your specific model and brand of circuit breaker box (SquareD, Eaton, GE, etc). It is NOT recommended to be GFCI, since every properly designed charge cable should have GFCI. Further, a GFCI breaker may interfere with the operation of some charge equipment.

4) Use whatever appropriate junction boxes are required, conduit, etc., plus a receptacle trim cover to match your decor.

That's it!

JLong is the perfect compliment for any EV that needs to charge. JLong can extend the length of the charge cord by 5 to 40 feet.

It helps when you're at a public charge station and it's blocked (but you can get into a nearby spot). Instead of frustration, just park nearby and use JLong.

You don't need to know anything about volts or amps. No technical knowledge required. Just "Plug-N-Charge(TM)"

JLong is for those charge stations where the cord won't easily reach the back of the car. Or, for those visits to somebody's house to charge from the dryer electrical outlet or other home wall outlet using your own (always too short) portable charge cable.

It works at long term airport parking, so that you can park in an adjacent (non-EV) spot and get fully charged without blocking out the dedicated EV spot for a week or two. Just lock the JLong to your car and leave a note when your car is done charging.

I use JLong a lot around the house when another car is blocking my charge spot, or when I park in the driveway but still need to charge from my garage mounted charge station.

You are fully protected by all the safety protections of J1772 (proximity disconnect, ground fault, pilot signal, etc) with JLong. Plus, it's fully 40 amp capable, light weight and very portable. One of our top sellers.

JLong works with EVERY plug-in car sold in North America, and EVERY J1772 / L1 / L2 charge station (Type 1 in Europe).

It's not if you need JLong, it's when.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BE8WIBU

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm

Here are some of the industry articles written about JLong:

http://insideevs.com/review-quick-charge-power-JLong

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/03/featured-ev-product-jlong.html

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095906_electric-car-charging-station-blocked-get-an-extension-cord

shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm

Charge Station Federal Tax Credit

In case you hadn’t already heard the great news, we are pleased to announce you can once again take advantage of a federal tax credit for installing electric vehicle charging stations at your home or business.

Congress has renewed the "Alternate Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit", which provides a tax credit of 30% (up to $1000 credit) of the pruchase and installation cost of electric vehicle charging stattions. The tax credit is valid for all 2016 installations.

EnerGene said:
So my coworker (LEAF owner) recomends this evse....

https://emotorwerks.com/store-juice...p-evse-with-24-foot-cable/category_pathway-23

Looks fine for my purposes.
Does anyone use this specific model for their rav4? If so did it work out of the box or did you have to make config changes to get it to charge at the cars maximum rate?

I'm a noob ev owner so I'm going to have a bunch of questions.
:D
Simple answer: Yes. It will work and charge at the RAV's maximum rate.

Other available 40 amp solutions: Clipper Creek HCS-50, Leviton EVB40, and Jesla. However, they are all more expensive and have less features. Tony did a good job of explaining the Jesla, which he sells.

I built up two JuiceBox's The basic unit has a pot for setting the current up to 50A. Matched with a 40A cable it will work fine. Personally I prefer the OpenEVSE board but the JuiceBox works. The advantage of an OpenEVSE with Tony's thin cable is that the cable is smaller than most 30A cables. Tony uses paired #12 wires like Tesla uses and the result is a much smaller cable.

Be aware that if UL approval is important to you only the Clipper Creek and Leviton were submitted for approval. The other units work fine but they do not carry an UL sticker.

GlennD said:
Be aware that if UL approval is important to you only the Clipper Creek and Leviton were submitted for approval. The other units work fine but they do not carry an UL sticker.

But neither does the original Tesla UMC
I don't think UL is important/required with something that "plugs in"

fromport said:
GlennD said:

But neither does the original Tesla EVSE
I don't think UL is important/required with something that "plugs in"
I do not live in Los Angeles but I understand that they require UL approved EVSEs.

That said, there are a lot of Tesla's running around and they all have non UL approved EVSEs.

TonyWilliams said:
EnerGene said:

In case you hadn’t already heard the great news, we are pleased to announce you can once again take advantage of a federal tax credit for installing electric vehicle charging stations at your home or business.

Congress has renewed the "Alternate Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit", which provides a tax credit of 30% (up to $1000 credit) of the pruchase and installation cost of electric vehicle charging stattions. The tax credit is valid for all 2016 installations.

OK, how do I know if I qualify and how do I apply for any/all rebates?
Remember I bought a used EV but my charge EVSE will be new.
Again, pardon my ignorance this is all new to me.
I looked into any rbates from SMUD here in Sacramento and all their rebates from them indicates new purchase of a newEV.

Thanks

EnerGene said:
TonyWilliams said:
EnerGene said:

OK, how do I know if I qualify and how do I apply for any/all rebates?
Remember I bought a used EV but my charge EVSE will be new.
Again, pardon my ignorance this is all new to me.
I looked into any rbates from SMUD here in Sacramento and all their rebates from them indicates new purchase of a newEV.

Thanks

Obviously, I can't know what local rebates / incentives that there are.

What I referenced (up to $1000 federal tax credit for a charge station) should be handled by you and your tax professional. It has nothing to do with a new or used car.

I charge my Rav4 with a ChargePoint unit. I had one of the original CT-500 stations that I just replaced with a ChargePoint Home Electric Vehicle Charger: 32 Amp, hardwired station and ChargePoint 25' Charging Cord.
The charger was $455 and the cord was $244 on Amazon in July.
It was very easy to hook up and has worked flawlessly. It charges at 32 amps, less than the 40 amps max, but since I charge overnight I don't notice the longer time.

It is networked using your home WiFi and you can see the data on the charge point web site. (no fees required)
The web site's charts and data are great and you can export the data and save it on your home computer.

It is UL listed and can charge at 7.7 kWh.

Maybe it is not cheapest but for me has been a good choice.

Scott

z3scot said:
I charge my Rav4 with a ChargePoint unit. I had one of the original CT-500 stations that I just replaced with a ChargePoint Home Electric Vehicle Charger: 32 Amp, hardwired station and ChargePoint 25' Charging Cord.
The charger was $455 and the cord was $244 on Amazon in July.
It was very easy to hook up and has worked flawlessly. It charges at 32 amps, less than the 40 amps max, but since I charge overnight I don't notice the longer time.

It is networked using your home WiFi and you can see the data on the charge point web site. (no fees required)
The web site's charts and data are great and you can export the data and save it on your home computer.

It is UL listed and can charge at 7.7 kWh.

Maybe it is not cheapest but for me has been a good choice.

Scott

The Chargepoint is a very good EVSE but when you changed the cord the UL approval was lost. Even the slightest change voids the UL approval.

I really think UL approval is a giant scam. Many EVSE's llke every Tesla supplied one work fine but lack UL approval. Ingineer stated on MNL that it costs 25K every time a device is submitted. If it takes several submissions then the cost can go from outrageous to very outrageous.

GlennD said:
Ingineer stated on MNL that it costs 25K every time a device is submitted. If it takes several submissions then the cost can go from outrageous to very outrageous.

Oh, it can definitely cost far more than $25k. We have our J-Wall being reviewed by UL at the moment. I'll let you know the damage!!

GlennD said:
The Chargepoint is a very good EVSE but when you changed the cord the UL approval was lost. Even the slightest change voids the UL approval.

Hi Glenn,
I did not change the cord. The cord I used was in the package from ChargePoint. So the UL approval was not lost.

Good for you. I was under the impression that only complete devices were approved. No add ons allowed. The UL considers the whole thing one sealed device. Opening it up to put on a new cable means that the device has to be resubmitted.

In any event UL approval is only needed in a few anal cities. In my case I got a socket and permit for my "RV". After the inspector left I plugged in my OpenEVSE.

GlennD said:
Good for you. I was under the impression that only complete devices were approved. No add ons allowed. The UL considers the whole thing one sealed device. Opening it up to put on a new cable means that the device has to be resubmitted.

In any event UL approval is only needed in a few anal cities. In my case I got a socket and permit for my "RV". After the inspector left I plugged in my OpenEVSE.
This is an anomaly due to the ordering system at Amazon. You select the amperage of the unit and hardwire or Plug-in. Some combinations have the cable length included as an option on that page, but some you have to add it to your cart from a separate product page. In any case, they ship you the correct SKU fully assembled. They should really just list all the 16amp combinations on one product page and all the 32amp combinations on another without even offering the base unit without a J1772 cable.

Back