low traction battery AND Motor coolant!!!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

WOW,

I just checked for the first time since I got the rav4 ev back in july the coolant levels under the hood. Motor coolant is just about at the LOW line. The traction battery coolant though is WAY below the LOW level line. In fact, it is actually a little past the lower body of the coolant case. I don't know why it is so low. Turned on the rav4 ev and watched it drop a little bit more as I guess the traction battery fluid started to flow. My rav has 37k something miles.

What should I do? Or well what can I do? DIY?

Can I refill the motor coolant? SHOULD I? Can I refill the traction battery coolant? SHOULD I? I was reading the manual and it said the traction battery coolant must be refilled at a toyota dealer. How much is this going to cost me? :(

BTW just got a recall noticed in the mail. Something about the motor wiper link or something. Corrosion.

I was planning to take in the rav4 ev for that, but I don't want to get hit with a 200 something bucks bill. I'm not doing too good in the $$$ department at the moment :(. I'm wondering if I can buy the fluids and do it myself....

I don't know why the traction battery coolant is so low. I should have checked when I first got the rav4 ev but was so busy I didn't read most of the manual until now.

I only paid $58 for my last 5,000 mile interval service on the RAV4 EV at Magnussen's Palo Alto. I declined the tire rotation because I was about to buy new tires and the fronts had more tread left than the rears. They top up the fluids as a part of this service. In fact, the big tank of G48 on the passenger side is a little over-filled from the last service as I recall.

Mine was a little bit low after a motor swap. My battery coolant level dropped slightly over time as well. A couple of years ago I purchased the Tesla G48 coolant, so I just topped them off myself. I think it was around $25 for the jug, and it doesn't take much to bring the level up.

$58 USD is not so bad. I thought it would be more like the nissan leaf's $230 for the Year 1/15000 miles. I believe one of the big bill checks for the rav4 ev is at 50k miles = full coolant flush for the traction battery? I will have to call my local toyotas and see what the maintenance price will be. according to the manual the rav4 was due for one @ 35k miles.Shoreline Blue EV how did you top yours up? The manual says to bring in the rav4 ev to the shop for that. Do you just pop the lid and drop it in? Wasnt sure if there was a special procedure but if they top them off during the maintanance .. i might be better off just taking it in if its that cheap. anyway I should take the rav4 ev in. It makes a loud metal CLICK when I go from D to R :(

If you buy the Tesla G48 coolant, it is as simple as pouring it in up to the line. The full flush will obviously be more expensive. I've heard about $400 for both Tesla cooling circuits.

You should take the car in to have them fix the clunk. Mine had it and it was fixed under warranty. My post about it is here.

Like tire pressure, its normal for coolant levels to go up and down depending on outside temperatures. Adding coolant is a super easy DIY project. O'Reilly Auto Parts has G-48 coolant $18.99 a gallon. Just be sure to add it to the "blue" reservoir only. About a cup will raise it from the low to high mark. If you're adding coolant every week you probably have a problem. Check for blue puddles in the driveway or garage. Those kind of leaks are very rare but could happen if a hose clamp is loose or broken.

Be sure to store unused coolant on a high shelf away from kids and pets.

here's a link to O'Reilly :)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AFZA/G485050/N0496.oap?ck=Search_N0496_-1_-1&pt=N0496&ppt=C0059

Just take it in for the loud metal clunk repair and then make sure the coolant level is correct when you get it back.

Back