Using RAV4 batteries to power AC home?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferenc

Hey, is there a system to use their EV DC batteries to run (part) of their AC home, say during power outages, or peak demand times?
It seems like a very nice solution to all kinds of problems,
Ferenc
PS For example, charge at night and dump back in day :D

ferenc said:
Hey, is there a system to use their EV DC batteries to run (part) of their AC home, say during power outages, or peak demand times?
It seems like a very nice solution to all kinds of problems,
Ferenc
PS For example, charge at night and dump back in day :D

Sure. Buy several Tesla PowerWalls.

Yea, but the energy is already in my EV batteries - I just need to tap them and a box to convert them to AC - no need for more batteries :)
Seems like such an obvious backup!
Ferenc
PS It also has 3x the capacity of the powerwall2 ...

Interesting - is the Nissan only Japan utility compatible?

The site you listed says, 'may work:'
13) Will JdeMO be able to power my house through the CHAdeMO plug?

Answer: Yes, it will be compatible with CHAdeMO specification 1.0, therefore with appropriate external equipment, it may work.

No JdeMO here,
Ferenc

Nissan is reportedly working on a cost reduced V2H unit for the North American market. That means that it will output 120V/240V split phase instead of the Japanese 100V/200V standard. I don't recall the exact spec, but the guy in charge of the project was at the Cupertino Drive Electric Week event this past September. I speculated that a 6kW unit should run about $2,500 and he said they were targeting a price well below that. He didn't say if they were targeting a power output well below mine too though.

ferenc said:
Interesting - is the Nissan only Japan utility compatible?

The site you listed says, 'may work:'
13) Will JdeMO be able to power my house through the CHAdeMO plug?

Answer: Yes, it will be compatible with CHAdeMO specification 1.0, therefore with appropriate external equipment, it may work.

No JdeMO here,
Ferenc

Of course it "may" work... I have no idea what Nissan may produce. Once it is available, we will acquire one to test.

ferenc said:
Yea, but the energy is already in my EV batteries - I just need to tap them and a box to convert them to AC - no need for more batteries :)
Seems like such an obvious backup!
Ferenc
PS It also has 3x the capacity of the powerwall2 ...
I need my car more than my A/C if the power goes out. Using the car does not seem like a viable back up.
Get the Power Wall and some solar to keep it charged.

You could also hook up a puresinewave inverter to the lead acid battery and hook up somethings while the rav4 ev is on. The dc to dc converter will top off the lead acid battery. I believe it gives no more than 1k watts.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13097

wow would that be an inefficient way to get A/C...

DC Traction battery -> battery charger -> 12Volt -> inverter -> A/C

davewill said:
n3ckf said:
wow would that be an inefficient way to get A/C...

DC Traction battery -> battery charger -> 12Volt -> inverter -> A/C
To keep the fridge and a few lights going in an emergency, it should be acceptable.

Not a bad idea, but that's only 1200 watts of power.

Back