Rodent damage prevention

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech26

Here in Seattle we have a lot of rats. I've dispatched over a dozen rats in the last year that were living in my crawlspace and my roof. I've sealed off the crawlspace, and I've got a plan for keeping them out of the roof, but in the meantime I wanted to make sure they wouldn't chew up my RAV. Rodent damage can be very expensive to repair, so a $30 bottle of rodent spray that only needs to be applied every six months seemed like a good idea to me.

The charger gets warm while topping off the pack overnight, and there are all sorts of expensive things to chew on while they're hanging out on the dry/warm charger.

So I removed the cover for the DC-DC converter:

And then I misted the area with this stuff:

The spray is basically a concentrated form of the chemical that makes chili peppers spicey, so don't get any on your hands and especially not in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If a rat even walks around under my hood and then licks his little feet, his tongue will feel like it's on fire.

Haven't experienced this problem yet, but maybe being a bit proactive would be a good thing.

BTW, is your blue fluid (G48) on the low side? If so, I have extra. Mine was sitting just below the low mark last year so I bought a jug. Used about a cup of it, so if you'd like a top off, let me know and we'll meet up somewhere. PM me and I'll give you my direct contact info.

I had a pathfinder that a rodent ate the harness on the right side. I separated the wires and put on a heavy coat of scotch guard. It lasted at least until I traded in the vehicle 6 months later.

If the hot stray is effective it would be cheap insurance.

Larry_in_Seattle said:
Haven't experienced this problem yet, but maybe being a bit proactive would be a good thing.

BTW, is your blue fluid (G48) on the low side? If so, I have extra. Mine was sitting just below the low mark last year so I bought a jug. Used about a cup of it, so if you'd like a top off, let me know and we'll meet up somewhere. PM me and I'll give you my direct contact info.

Good eye Larry, and thanks for the offer. It does look like it needs to be topped off. Is there a RAV4 EV meet in the Seattle area soon? Maybe we could schedule one at Kubota garden when the spring blooms get started? I've been wanting to go for a walk through Kubota garden again when the weather gets a little warmer.

Back