charging failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

Hi,

Today I plugged my 2014 Rav4 EV (with 21K miles) into my Leviton charger and the charger keeps shutting off. Tried the OEM 110V charger and that one is shutting down as well. The Leviton charger seems fine as it's charging the Volt without any issues. I still have the original 12v battery but it shows 12.40v. I know i have read a lot about battery issues and was wondering if this charge issue could be caused by the older battery. No faults lights are showing

??

thanks
James

james said:
Hi,

Today I plugged my 2014 Rav4 EV (with 21K miles) into my Leviton charger and the charger keeps shutting off. Tried the OEM 110V charger and that one is shutting down as well. The Leviton charger seems fine as it's charging the Volt without any issues. I still have the original 12v battery but it shows 12.40v. I know i have read a lot about battery issues and was wondering if this charge issue could be caused by the older battery. No faults lights are showing

??

thanks
James

Disconnected your 12 volt battery, wait a few minutes and reconnect 12 volt battery.
Try again.
Could be just a glitch.
If the power cycle doesn't "fix" it, my money is on the internal tesla charger that needs to be replaced.

Regardless of the ultimate failure (onboard charger, for instance), YOU NEED A NEW 12 VOLT BATTERY NOW !!! There is absolutely no reason to start troubleshooting anything on the RAV4 with a faulty / worn out battery.

Rav4 EV 12 volt Battery recommendations:

https://m.pepboys.com/search/?term=bosch+24f+60ah+agm

I recommend the Bosch or Exide battery with the following specs for around $150-$180:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating

Here are the specific models I recommend:

Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM Battery

There is also a Exide battery that is identical, except for superficial color and markings, but normally more expensive.

Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery

i specifically had a charging failure (which i didnt detect till the next morning, by which time the car was dead) when my 12v battery recently failed. New battery, everything worked fine.

Hi
l
Just some followup on my charging failure. Turned out to be the on board charger. Took it is to Walnut Creek Toyota and they replaced it - Took about a week to order and receive it from Tesla. Not too bad... It's good to have the Rav back

I also took Tony's advice and got a new Bosch battery so hopefully everything will be OK for a while.

Back