Charging: Stopped by System Malfunction

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

new to the forum. I've read a few posts. Thanks to everyone for contributing...

Just picked up a 2013 #2300 (assume this means last 4 of VIN) with 21,800 miles on the odometer from Roseville Carmax yesterday. When I got home I started to charge it using the 120V plug that came with the car and within a few minutes I got an error "Charging: Stopped by System Malfunction." I noticed the CCID was making clicking noises just prior to error. The owner's manual simply says to contact your Toyota dealer. I tried a couple more times but same problem. I read a post here http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewt...it=charging+aborted+system+malfunction#p16763
change the charge instantly setting over to charge later, turn the car off, turn it back on, and switch back to charge instantly again.
it then started charging with no clicking noises from the CCID but by morning I had the same error as before.

I was wondering, how do you guys think Carmax was charging it with no issues (I assume they weren't having issues because the charge was close to full when it was on the lot). Is this a problem with only L1 charging? My plan is to stop by a L2 charging station today and see if the problem persists.

I had the exact same issue as you. Just purchased a 2013 from Carmax and it seems to charge just fine on the 240V EVSE we have installed in the house. However, when we tried to plug in to a wall outlet while out running errands, we got the same issue. The outlet still seemed to be working as the light on the 110V cable indicated that power was still flowing, but we got that error message.

What's the CCID? With errors like these the first thing I would do is check your power supply. The 120V outlets you're using could be old and worn, have a bad ground, or other problems with your wiring could cause voltage drop. If you can, measure the voltage while charging (or have an electrician come out.) Problems with your wiring could cause much more than just inconvenient charge interruptions and error messages - there could be a significant fire risk.

Also, since you're both dealing with used cars that might have sat unused for long periods, it's certainly a good idea to check the health of (or just replace) your 12V batteries, and make sure you've had all the software updates / recalls done.

thanks leeard533 and fooljoe,

the CCID is the Charging Circuit Interrupting Device, it has a power indicator, error warning indicator, test button and reset button. I'll check my plugs, that's good advice. I'll also check to make sure all the software is up to date and the 12V battery is OK...

ebramb said:
CCID is the Charging Circuit Interrupting Device, it has a power indicator, error warning indicator, test button and reset button.
Still a little confused... That sounds like a GFI outlet. Are you talking the outlet itself, or something you inserted between the outlet and the EVSE?
ebramb said:
by the way... I successfully charged it with no issues/errors at an L2 charging station
Well that certainly would point to something going on with your situation at home. As miimura pointed out in another thread, make sure there's nothing else on that 120V circuit you're using. A fridge compressor periodically kicking on or whatever else adding additional load could cause enough voltage drop to make the car stop charging, or the condition of the outlet/circuit could just be bad to start. I would strongly recommend installing a new 240V circuit dedicated to charging your car - the Rav's too much EV for 120V.

the CCID is the EVSE. The owner's manual calls it CCID, sorry for the confusion.

thanks for the suggestion, I checked the voltage while it was charging; it was dropping from 123 V to 108 V while it was drawing current. I switched to another outlet (the furnace outlet) and that one only dropped a couple volts and has not caused any errors in 4.5 hours. I do plan to get a dedicated 240 V outlet and L2 charger eventually.

ebramb said:
the CCID is the EVSE. The owner's manual calls it CCID, sorry for the confusion.

thanks for the suggestion, I checked the voltage while it was charging; it was dropping from 123 V to 108 V while it was drawing current. I switched to another outlet (the furnace outlet) and that one only dropped a couple volts and has not caused any errors in 4.5 hours. I do plan to get a dedicated 240 V outlet and L2 charger eventually.
Have that outlet checked out ASAP. That big a voltage drop means something is wrong...possibly burn your house down wrong.

Back