Inside the battery?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

While browsing the web looking for details on the RAV battery I came across these pictures. Have these been posted before? These are the only one I've seen purporting to be the innards of our battery packs.

I was curious how our batteries differed from those used on the tesla cars. Is it the same modules in just a different arrangement and/or lower capacity cells?

I can't seem to post the actual images - maybe someone who knows how can do so? They're found on this page:

(See picture at the very top and also at the bottom of this URL)
http://99mpg.com/blog/somanybatteriessolittletime/

The construction method for the RAV4 EV pack is the same as the Tesla Model S. There are metal plates on the top and bottom of the modules that are separated into zones. Each zone is one contact of two parallel groups. The zones overlap so half the cells on one contact are (+) contacts and the other half are (-) contacts. The individual cells are wire bonded to the plates and the bond wires act as an individual fuse for each cell. If you follow the flow of current from one terminal on the module to one zone on the top plate, through a group of cells to the bottom plate and back again, you can see how the current snakes through the module. It's pretty clever.

The details of which cells are used and the specific configuration of how many cells are in series and parallel are different from the Model S.

Back